DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   nanoFlash Files and Premiere Pro CS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/494211-nanoflash-files-premiere-pro-cs5.html)

Steve Kalle April 6th, 2011 06:37 PM

nanoFlash Files and Premiere Pro CS5

Hi Dan and others,

Can you pretty PLEASE with a cherry on top use your Adobe contacts to get this problem fixed where all of the ram is used during import AND during exporting/rendering. With my 12-core/24GB of ram, I just exported a 14min video with 220Mb I-frame clips in it, and all of the ram was consumed causing the render to take 4 times as long as it should have.

Premiere Pro CS5.03
Only effect was Timecode; I had 5 clips in one sequence and had that sequence nested in a 720p sequence with Timecode applied.

Original footage is 1080 29.97p, 220Mb I-frame
Windows 7 x64 Pro; HP Z800 12-core, 24GB ram; 12TB Raid 5 array on an Areca 1680ix exporting to a Raid 0 array.

Thanks

Dan Keaton April 6th, 2011 07:05 PM

Re: nanoFlash Files and Premiere Pro CS5

Dear Steve,

Are you using CS5 version 5.0.3 (005) or higher?

We will try to contact Adobe as soon as possible.

Most every company is very busy getting ready for NAB.

Are you going to NAB?

If so, you could bring it up with Adobe in person.

Steve Kalle April 6th, 2011 07:52 PM

It is 5.0.3 005

No, I wish that I was going to NAB.

I know the SOP is to contact Adobe for a software issue but another person posted a thread here in the Adobe forum about how he spent considerable amounts of time with Adobe tech support, but they could not find a solution to this nanoFlash file/ram issue. Seeing as this problem is happening on both of my PCs, I cannot blame any single piece of hardware; thus, I know the issue lies with Adobe. And because you have contacts with Adobe and I do not, I came here for help.

To be completely honest, if I knew of these issues prior to buying a nanoFlash, I would have waited to purchase until they were fixed. For longer projects, I cannot use my nanoFlash because when I go to render the project, the computer bogs down due to 100% ram usage.

However, in the meantime, I will test a new workflow where I convert to Cineform.

As always, you guys at CD are amazing and I greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thank you.

Dan Keaton April 7th, 2011 04:20 AM

Dear Steve,

I have sent a request to our support team for them to contact Adobe for this problem.

Alan Emery April 7th, 2011 07:32 AM

Hi Dan and Steve,

One test I was never able to try was to import and conform a number of uncompressed files that in sum are in excess of my RAM to see if PProCS5 had the same problem with uncompressed large files as it does with Nanoflash files imported and conformed in excess of my RAM. If it does have the same problem we could imagine that the problem is simply overwhelming PProCS5 use of RAM and the program not being able to spill RAM it has used and no longer needs to retain in memory. If it does not have the same problem, that would narrow the issue to be specific to the Nanoflash files.

Given that you guys at CD now have the Gemini (congratulations on that front!), that should be easy to test. Just point a camera at the wall and record uncompressed files until you get 50 or 60 GB, then import and conform those to XDCAM EX, HDCAM SR, or some simillar format in PProCS5. If the program doesn't crang up, the issue is probably with the Nanoflash files. If it does fail, the issue is just too much retained RAM by PProCS5.

In either case, the problem is definitely Adobe's to solve if it wants to stay in the competition for NLEs using high bitrate files. And I am sure they would really appreciate any advice and experience such as this little experiment that you could give them.

Alan

Steve Kalle May 13th, 2011 10:22 PM

So far with Premiere Pro CS5.5, the ram gets cleared every 3-4GB so I have not had any problems. Yahooooooo!!!!

I imported 36GB of nanoFlash MXF files and it worked like it does with any other video file.

Dan Keaton May 14th, 2011 06:15 AM

Dear Steve,

Thank you for the great news.

It is so nice to hear that it is working.

(Lots of work has gone on in the backgound, by Adobe, to resolve this issue.)

Steve Kalle May 14th, 2011 12:19 PM

My next request to anyone is to make a program that applies noise reduction AND converts to Cineform at the same time. Recording 280Mb in the nanoFlash from a noisy camera like my EX3 and then convert to very high quality 10bit 444 Cineform with noise reduction is my new workflow for my most important projects. However, even with my 12-core HP Z800, Quadro FX3800, Premiere CS5.5 and Neat Video plugin, the render times converting to Cineform takes roughly 30mins per 2 minutes of video.

I assume those on Mac would like conversion to Pro Res but I have heard from others that Pro Res adds noise of its own.

Billy Steinberg May 14th, 2011 05:33 PM

Just out of curiosity, what part of the "30 minutes per 2 minutes of video" is due to the de-noising from Neat Video and what part is due to the conversion to Cineform?

Billy

Steve Kalle May 14th, 2011 06:59 PM

Probably 25-28 minutes but I can't recall for certain. Neat Video adds significant time to the render which is why I really hope they or someone else can make a GPU accelerated NR plugin, and I would pay up to twice the price (currently $100).