Gemini 4:4:4 Request at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 11th, 2011, 05:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Gemini 4:4:4 Request

Hello Dan,
Looking at the Gemini 4:4:4 it's a very desirable device but for my application not very practical. I would love to be able to record the output of our Tricaster in uncompressed but the SSDD are not large enough and are not economical for Long duration special event work. Would it be possible to make an adaptor that would allow you to record to powered external enterprise 7K drive ?
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Re: Gemini 4:4:4 Request

Hello Lance,

How long is a Typical Event? also keep in mind with time, Larger, Faster SSD's, may become available in time. Just like Compact Flash Cards.

You also have to keep in mind Bandwidth requirements for Recording Uncompressed, which without a raid, most standard Hard Drives, are simply to slow.

Best Regards
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Andy the duration that I am looking at is min 3.5 hours but 5 hours would be desirable. Could you use something like a Stardom external eSATA drive system in raid 0 configuration for a table use. Looking at the way that the SSDS connect it I would think it should be possible, all that would be required would be eSATA connection and if you raid 4 fast server grade drives in raid 0 will this work?
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Lance,

Sorry for the Delay, I must have missed your reply,

With us adding DNxHD (In the next couple of Months) to Gemini 4:4:4 you should be able to record for 3.5 to 5 hours, easily with two 256GB SSD's or two 512GB SSD's depending on the bit rate, 175Mb, 36Mb etc,

As for the eSata Adaptor to an External Storage, we will give this some thought, but the primary purpose of the Gemini is to be a portable lightweight recorder,

Best Regards

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey