DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   HDMI output quality of various camera modes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/494602-hdmi-output-quality-various-camera-modes.html)

Martin Kolditz April 14th, 2011 10:57 PM

HDMI output quality of various camera modes

Hey there,

We just purchased a new nanoFlash and so far are EXTREMELY HAPPY. Dan Keaton from CD was so helpful with answering all my questions on a phone-call basis and in my opinion went well above my definition of "good pre-sale service".

Anyhow, here's my question:

I have an EX1R/nanoFlash combo. In the midst of deciding on the appropriate number of SxS cards to purchase. Does the HDMI/HD-SDI output format change along with the camera output settings (1920x1080, 1440x1080, 1280x720)? They all look the same to me when watching the HDMI output on a high def screen.

If the answer is "no", I would likely purchase less SxS cards, as more minutes would fit on one SxS, and I would be relying on the CF card footage created by the nanoFlash.

On a side-note, does anyone know of a way to make the camera trigger the nanoFlash to record when there is no SxS card in the EX1R's slot? If there is no SxS card in the slot, is somewhat inconvenient to press the nanoFlash record button as frequently as in do in my application.

Or would it just make more sense (if I'm using the nanoFlash footage anyway) to get a SDHC adapter and use SD cards rather than SxS? Anybody do this?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Rafael Amador April 15th, 2011 04:12 AM

Re: HDMI output quality of various camera modes

Hi Martin,
The HDMI/SDI put out the same format that you set to record in-camera.
The NANO need to get TC in the signal to be trigged from the camera, but the camera put out TC only when recording. If the camera is not in REC, you need to trigger the NANO manually (button or remote).
rafael

Bruce Rawlings April 15th, 2011 04:29 AM

I use MxR adapter with SDHC cards as backup and to run the Nano. All works well.

Martin Kolditz April 15th, 2011 05:37 PM

Raphael: I figured as such - thanks for confirming. I just thought there might have been something I overlooked.

Bruce: This looks like the way to go. that way I have my inexpensive backup AND the convenience of triggering the nanoFlash with the camera.

Cheers.

Martin Kolditz May 12th, 2011 11:03 AM

Can anyone else provide a safe reliable SDHC adapter to serve as a low-cost backup while using CF cards through the nano as the primary media?

Piotr Wozniacki May 13th, 2011 09:52 AM

I recommend MxM - with ATP Pro cards (class 6 or 10), never had a single problem.

Dave Sperling May 14th, 2011 05:54 PM

Just remember to FULLY test your SDHC cards/adapter combo in advance of your shoot, since if for some reason the SDHC card has trouble with the data rate from the camera, the camera may stop recording (and if you are triggering the NanoFlash using incementing timecode, the NanoFlash will stop recording as well.)

Martin Kolditz May 23rd, 2011 09:23 AM

That's good to keep in mind. Scary come to think of it. The backup becoming the downfall...