DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   SSD brands recommended for Gemini? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/495520-ssd-brands-recommended-gemini.html)

Ed David May 6th, 2011 10:22 AM

SSD brands recommended for Gemini?

what brand of SSD will you recommend for Gemini or even the tech specs that will be needed? Will you be recommending different drives like you recommend different CF cards for nanoflash? That is so super useful. Just preordered my Gemini.

Dan Keaton May 7th, 2011 04:33 AM

Re: SSD brands recommended for Gemini?

Dear Ed,

We are taking a different approach with the Gemini 4:4:4.

With the nanoFlash we qualified certain brands and types of cards.

With the Gemini 4:4:4 we are going to certify individual SSD's (Solid State Disks).

Our goal is simple: We want to ensure that any SSD's that are used in the Gemini 4:4:4 will actually be up for the task.

There are only a few brands/types of SSD's that actually have the real-world performance to record full uncompressed video flawlessly.

And the brand/type that we have choosen (and thoroughly tested) is not available through normal retail channels.

Thus, we will be buying these SSD's directly from the manufactuer.

Then, we will:

1. Preform an initial test.
2. Perform thorough tests of the SSD's while bringing them to 80 degrees C.
3. Perform additional tests as we heat cycle the SSD's.
4. Then we will certify the individual SSD.

Only these certified SSD's will be accepted for recording in the Gemini 4:4:4. Others will be rejected.

The reputation of the Gemini 4:4:4 could be seriously harmed by the use of SSD's that do not have the necessary performance. This could ruin a shoot.

While there are more SSD's that, on paper, according to the manufactuer's specs, have the necessary performance, our thorough testing has shown that many cannot actually sustain the necessary level of performance while recording uncompressed video.

Of course, with electronics, we expect more SSD's, over time, to reach the necessary levels of performance. We willl continue to test available SSD's as they become available.

We realize that many consider CompacttFlash cards and SSD's to be commodity items.

What is not widely known is that the manufacturers routinely change the components used to build the devices. A specifc brand/type of device that you buy today may have different components, and a different level of performance than one that was bought previously.

We want to ensure that every SSD used for recording in the Gemin 4:4:4 has been proven to work as expected.

Andrew Stone May 9th, 2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1646569)
With the nanoFlash we qualified certain brands and types of cards.

With the Gemini 4:4:4 we are going to certify individual SSD's (Solid State Disks).

Our goal is simple: We want to ensure that any SSD's that are used in the Gemini 4:4:4 will actually be up for the task.

Thus, we will be buying these SSD's directly from the manufactuer.

Then, we will:

1. Perform an initial test.
2. Perform thorough tests of the SSD's while bringing them to 80 degrees C.
3. Perform additional tests as we heat cycle the SSD's.
4. Then we will certify the individual SSD.

The reputation of the Gemini 4:4:4 could be seriously harmed by the use of SSD's that do not have the necessary performance. This could ruin a shoot.

We want to ensure that every SSD used for recording in the Gemin 4:4:4 has been proven to work as expected.

Very smart idea, in my view, Dan. Many of your customers, as you know, are going to be production companies with a lot at stake and with insurers to please. I have heard nightmarish stories of Cinedeck's bluescreening in the middle of a production shoot with big crews standing around for 10 minutes while the unit reboots. I think this paints a good picture of how serious a malfunctioning recorder can be in this business. And...

It is for this reason I like the nanoFlash so much. It just works. Convergent Design has gone to great lengths to make this so. I am sure you are going through the same process with the Gemini.

Dan Keaton May 9th, 2011 10:18 AM

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for the very kind words.

At this time, the Gemini 4:4:4 boots up in under two seconds.

By this I mean that the video appears on the monitor in under two seconds.

It takes the SSD slightly longer to bootup, say six seconds or so.

By the time we are finished the Gemini 4:4:4 it may take longer to boot up, but I think it will probably be under 10 seconds or so.