nanoFlash and FS100 Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 28th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Trustee

nanoFlash and FS100 Questions

Hi Dan et al,

Can you update us on how you are coming along with getting the nanoFlash to read the TC over HDMI?

I believe the FS100 can output 1080 60p over HDMI; so, I am wondering if the nanoFlash will be able to record it.

Thanks

EDIT: I just realized that Sony probably used HDMI instead of SDI because you cannot get 1080 60p over a single SDI whereas you can with HDMI. Now we need a recorder that can handle it.

Last edited by Steve Kalle; May 28th, 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: nanoFlash and FS100 Questions

I second that question, Dan.

Oh, and while we're at it: I'd expect the new firmware to also contain a fix for cranking errors while recording MXF. I do understand CD is very busy with their new great device, but hopefully we nanoFlash users aren't going to be forgotten :)

And last, but not least: how about the long awaited feature of mixing the SDI-embedded audio with the analog input?

TIA,

Piotr
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Steve and Piotr,

We are going to balance our needs to finish the Gemini 4:4:4 with adding new features to the nanoFlash.

While we have been very busy with the Gemini 4:4:4, we have also been working on the nanoFlash firmware.

We are working on the timecode support for the Sony FS100.

The nanoFlash cannot support 1080p60. The Sony Module that we use will not support 1080p60.

I do not expect that we will be adding "+2 Channel" audio support in the next firmware release.
This is something that I personally want us to add to the nanoFlash as soon as possible.

Piotr, I will be checking on the "Cranking Errors" while record MXF. I will check with our lab.
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Dear dan,

For me, working in the African field, away from basecamp for weeks on a row, a good compression is essential. In other words, I will never be able to work with the Gemini for that reason, though I certainly believe that it is a wonderful device.

However: 1080p/60 is definitly the way to go for many of us. With cameras arriving now, producing 1080p/60 I am urgentely looking for a 'nanoflash' like device that can handle it. I suppose there will be others waiting for that. So please take note that the Gemini is not a workable solution for all of us. I would be very happy to pay for a (hardware) upgrade of my nano to make 1080p/60 happen.

Please let us know your thoughts on develeopments like that.

Cees
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:16 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Cees,
It's my understanding that because the NanoFlash is built around Sony's Torino encoder chip, we're pretty restricted to the current XDcam compression codecs (though CD has done an amazing job getting them to work at higher bit rates as well.) I'm assuming that the Nano architecture is built for a maximum input speed of HD-SDI, and may not be able to accept a 3G (or dual link) signal required for 1080p/60.
Having recently bought an F3, I'd love to be able to record 1080p/60 on my NanoFlash, but I just don't see it happening from a practical perspective.
And though I'm nervous about the quantity of data the Gemini records, I have a feeling it will become an important part of my kit soon after release.
On the other hand, if enough of us petition a compression codec add-on box that could attach to the Gemini, perhaps that's something that C-D would consider in the future. I'd personally love to be able to have some sort of high end (ie - 3G / 10bit) codec option for native gemini recording, which would doubltess be an outboard encoder box since I'm sure the current Gemini is jammed to the gills with components, and the extra power requirements and heat dissipation would be an issue as well.
Just my impressions.
Best,
Dave S
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Cees and Dave,

I just want you to know that we are listening.

You want a small, low power device that can record 1080p60, in great quality, using a compressed codec.

A built in, high quality monitor would also be desirable, but you have not specifically said that.
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:22 AM   #7
Trustee

Dan, if I understand you, you are working on something?
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:54 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Cees and Dave,

You want a small, low power device that can record 1080p60, in great quality, using a compressed codec.

A built in, high quality monitor would also be desirable, but you have not specifically said that.
Dan, If you can deliver that you are the man :-)

I certainly think that a device like that should be the future replacement of the nano. The Gemini is not, it is another wonderful device, but imho for another target group of customers.
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Major Player

Oh, and if you also include the long hoped for easy accessible option for different setting profiles, than it must be close to perfect.....

Cees
Old May 31st, 2011, 01:12 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Dear Cees and Dave,

And 10 bit.

I plan to use S-Log in the future but don't want to go to an uncompressed workflow. 4.2.2 & 10 bit @ 1080p60 is plenty for me.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:54 AM   #11
New Boot

Hello Guys. Last Week I get From Sony PMW-f3 and NEX-FS100. yes both are amazing cameras but i have problem with FS100 output on NanoFlash. When I set on camera 24p 1080p output Nanoflash loosing Source . on 720p everything is ok. If i can not record From FS100 on NanoFlash 1080p I will very disappoint.
David Imedashvili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:27 AM   #12
New Boot

I set on HDMI out 1080i and get on Nanoflash 1080i60 when set on nanoflash remove 3:2 puldown get 23.98 psf. is it correct setup?? also another problem. when i use camera record button nanoflash did not start recording. any suggestions?
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:05 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear David,

The nanoFlash, with our current firmware 1.6.248 is not yet setup to extract the timecode from the HDMI output of the FS100.

Thus, one can not, at this time, press record on the FS100 and have the nanoFlash automatically start recording.

We hope to have this feature in our next firmware update.

If your FS100 is setup to output 23.976 (23.98) over 60, then it will be appropriate to activate Video|3:2 Pulldown Removal.

We have done lots of testing with the FS100 + nanoFlash, thus I feel that it will work fine for you, with the appropriate settings in the nanoFlash and FS100.

We will do our best to help you.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:53 AM   #14
New Boot

Dear Dan Keaton. Thank you Very Much.
Old September 1st, 2011, 02:23 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
We have done lots of testing with the FS100 + nanoFlash, thus I feel that it will work fine for you, with the appropriate settings in the nanoFlash and FS100.
I tried today at my dealer to do some test shots with the nano on a FS100, but did not manage to find the proper settings. The FS100 was on 1080p25, nano connected to the camera with a hdmi cable, but whatever I tried the nano indicated NO SOURCE.

What are the proper settings in the nano and in the FS100 to get it working?
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey