confidence regained ! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 26th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #1
Major Player

confidence regained !

Hi there

Eventually I get the CF card back.. plug it into a USB reader.. it works fine !!! plays out from Nano fine.. down loaded it with shotput pro 4.. all fine..!!

I can only presume that the director and who ever else "tried" the card maybe didnt have software to view Sony XDCAM 422 HD.. although I would have thought it would have mounted at least.

I was out of the country and was just told "the card didnt work" .. so i guess bad timing,break down in communication .. and lesson learned bring spare reader.. the other reader does have a bent pin,, touching the one next to it.. now how that happened Iam not sure at all..!!!

So actually pretty good result.. as i thought/hoped originally .. just the card reader was down.. and the card and recording are fine.(Iam checking anyway with KLIX.. just because I have it now :)

Just wonder.. using mac book pro 10.6.8.. delkin 64 GB cards.. download software Shotput pro 4 to WD HDD.. 500 2.5 is fire wire card reader any faster than USB 2

Thanks
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: confidence regained !

I think that this would qualify as one of the most confusing posts I have ever read.

But to answer your one question. Yes !!!!!

or was it a question?
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Robin,

Glad to see you confidence is restored, and to answer your Question,

A Firewire 400 or 800 Reader would be much faster than USB 2.0, even thou USB 2.0 Spec is 480Mb the threw put we have seen in internal testing might be around 20-25 MBs on Average , Where With Firewire 400 it is 35-40 MBs, and Firewire 800 is 70-80 MBs (Depending on if your Compact Flash card and internal Hard Drive is faster then the transmission Median.(Firewire, USB 2.0, USB3.0, eSata Etc )

Best Regards
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Ok many thanks.. recommendations for fire wire 800 reader..? or what not to get..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #5
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Robin,

Depending on your setup will greatly determine the options available, and what may be the best "bang" for the buck, Overall Firewire 800 may be the best choice for a Mac Laptop, When considering the performance of the Compact Flash, and the Drive being Copied to.

As for purchasing I would suggest Contact Dan Keaton he can help you find the best solution for your needs.

Hope that Helps

Best Regards
Old July 27th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willis View Post
I think that this would qualify as one of the most confusing posts I have ever read.

But to answer your one question. Yes !!!!!

or was it a question?
Hi Bob

Sorry it was a continuation from another post ..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey