Why PSF On My NanoFlash? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 7th, 2011, 01:31 AM   #1
Major Player

Why PSF On My NanoFlash?

The settings on my nano used with my XLHI are "record PSF". I'm sure this is as a result of a recommendation somewhere from CD.

Why this setting? Is it because the XLHI does not (does it?) output a true "25p" signal?

Would I need the same setting were I to record from my HV20?

(The play setting is "Prog")

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Why PSF On My NanoFlash?

Hi Ronald,

Here is good post that explains it:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...thing-psf.html

Post #23 from Dan Keaton gives you an easy way to check if you've got the setting correct.

In short if the screen on the NF readout for your frame rate matches what you've got your camera set to, it's correct.

For the HV20 if I recall correctly (been a while since I recorded 24p from my HV20 on my NF), you do need to check PsF on the NF.

-Garrett
Old August 7th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Ron,

If a camera is in Progressive mode, and the mode is 1080, such as in 1080p25, then the output is almost always Progressive Segmented Frames.

There may be one, but we are not aware of any camera, in 1080 mode, that outputs Progressive, they always output PSF.

Since this is the case, if you set your XL H1 to 25p,
you need to check the Video|Record PSF > Prog(ressive) option.

This takes the PSF (which looks like 1080i50 in your case), and converts it back to true Progressive before we record it. This make is easier for you to edit the video.

Thus, for 1080p23.976, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p29.94, and 1080p30, you should check the Video|Record PSF > Prog(ressive).

(Note: for 1080p23.976 and 1080p24, we automatically set the option internally for your convenience).

For 720p which is never PSF, as it is always progressive, we ignore this setting for your convenience,

If you have the setting checked, it should match your camera's setting,

For your camera's 1080p25 setting, with our menu option properly set, you should see 1080sf25.

This means that we are converting PSF to Progressive and it is 25 Frames per Second Progressive.

Note: if you camera is outputting 1080p23.976 (which is PSF), and has 3:2 Pulldown frames added, then it is 1080p23.976 over 1080i59.94. In this case, then you need to set Video|Remove 3:2 Pulldown.

In the above case, we will show 1080pd23, which indicates that we are removing the Pull Down Frames.
(which are duplicate frames inserted in order to convert 1080p23.976 to 1080i59.94.

Also, if your monitor does not work, then try the Video|E to E option. This takes the input signal and immediately sends it out to the output (both HD-SDI and HDMI) (before we convert it to true progressive).

Many monitors cannot handle true progressive (in 1080), and this is the reason for PSF in the first place.
PSF looks like interlaced footage to the monitor.
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Garrett and Dan for your explanations/links,

Ron

Last edited by Ronald Jackson; August 7th, 2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typo
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Trustee

Maybe this explanation of the evil PSF can help: Progressive segmented frame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey