FS100 plus nanoFlash: power options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 20th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Inner Circle

FS100 plus nanoFlash: power options

I'm after power sources for my FS100 and nanoFlash, and cannot make up my mind which is better:

- to use separate sources (a 770 or 970 battery for the camera, one of the rechargeable battery packs from nanoflash.net for the nF), or

- to use a single power source, like this battery from Swit:

http://www.swit.us/s8972-dv-liion-bat8972.html

Anyone using the latter? Is it possible to plug the connector in/out without removing the battery from camera?

Piotr
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: FS100 plus nanoFlash: power options

The tidiest and easiest solution seems to be the rechargeable batteries from nanoflash. I just have some industrial velcro on the back of the nanoflash and on the battery pack - just stick them on and plug them in and forget about it.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The reasons I prefer a single source is:

- nanoFlash powered up exactly as long as the camera; only one gauge to check
- single battery type
- single charger
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Yeah that's true. I have a Dolgin battery cradle so that I can run the nanoflash from Canon batteries (the same type as used by my camera). I still have to use 2 at a time though, one for the the camera and one for the nanoflash. The rechargeable batteries are just tidier though.

I wish there was a way to monitor battery power from the nanoflash though...
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

While it is not possible to monitor the nanoFlash battery level from within your camera's viewfinder, the nanoFlash has a voltage meter built in. Just go to the System menu.

If you are using one of our 7.4 Volt batteries, you should consider changing it when it gets down to 6 volts.

Below 6 volts it will start dropping fast.

If you use a single, small battery to power the nanoFlash and FS100, you can expect a limited run time, I am guessing at under 90 minutes. (I have not performed this test yet).

If you using one battery for the camera and one of our 2-Cell Lithium-Ion batteries, you will get around 3 hours for the nanoFlash.

nanoFlash.net also has a simple pouch to hold the 2-Cell battery. Other dealers may have this also.

Longer running 4-Cell and 8-Cell batteries are available.
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Friends,

While it is not possible to monitor the nanoFlash battery level from within your camera's viewfinder, the nanoFlash has a voltage meter built in. Just go to the System menu.

If you are using one of our 7.4 Volt batteries, you should consider chaning it when it gets down to 6 volts.

Below 6 volts it will start dropping fast.
Oh! Now I feel like a real idiot; I never really considered the voltage meter properly. Handy to know about the 6 volt cut off!
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
If you use a single, small battery to power the nanoFlash and FS100, you can expect a limited run time, I am guessing at under 90 minutes. (I have not performed this test yet).
Dear Dan,

I hear what you're saying about the 7.2V batteries generally having less capacity than the 14.4V, 96Wh Swit ones I've successfully used with my EX1/nanoFlash. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but:

- with the kit 770 battery (30 Wh), people report 6 hours shooting with their FS100s. The Swit battery in question is 45Wh, so even if the extra 50% goes all to the nanoFlash, there is still those remaining 30Wh that should suffice for several hours of operation. Where am I wrong?

Piotr
Old August 20th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

I checked the FS100 Brochure.

It lists the FS100 power draw at 5.6 watts. I am amazed at the low power draw.

The power draw of the F3 is 24 watts max, 18 watts typical.

Our nanoFlash draws 5.6 watts also.

The Swit battery is listed at 47.5 Watt-Hours.

47.5 Watt-Hours divided by 12 watts = 3.95 Hours.

If the power fiqures are correct, then you could expect over three hours running both the nanoFlash and the AF100 using the Swit battery.
Old August 20th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Dan,

Thanks for your effort and checking the specs; I was just guessing from memory - but I guess our figures are close :)

Please give me some time to make up my mind on that.

Piotr
Old April 26th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Piotr
can i ask you how did you end up powering your nano flash with the fs100,i'm looking for a good powering/mounting solution to my nano flash/fs100 combo..can you post a photo,i was wondering how others handling this situation,i'm considering using the PMW-350 Vlock battery and powering the nano flash via D-tap with a 2 meter cable that i have and attaching the battery to the tripod with pouch!!! but that is really a strange/stupid solution!!!!
thanks
samer
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Samer,

When on my shoulder rig, I power the nanoFlash from a big PAG battery that also serves well as a counter weight. Other than that, I'm using the Swit battery mentioned above...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey