DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   another TL question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/499877-another-tl-question.html)

Robin Probyn August 22nd, 2011 06:49 PM

another TL question

If Iam shooting TC-Last TC.. in ordinary mode..(with tape in the camera) then change to TL mode.. to avoid running tape on the TL.. I have to change the Nano to internal TC.. if so how does TC work in TL mode ?

Thanks

Dan Keaton August 22nd, 2011 09:42 PM

Re: another TL question

Dear Robin,

For time-lapse mode, I would:

1. Set your nanoFlash for System|Trigger Record & Remote so that the Record Button or Remote Control switch starts and stops the nanoFlash. Do not use Trigger via incrementing timecode.

2. Set you camera for Time of Day Timecode, not Record Run Timecode.

Or you could setup the nanoFlash to use Internal Timecode, if you so desire, any flavor of timecode will work, including Time of Day Timecode.

3. Set up other menu settings in the nanoFlash appropriate for Time-Lapse recording.

4. Press start on the nanoFlash or press the remote control to start recording.

The initial timecode value, from the camera will be placed in the files' header.

Each subsequent frame will record the timecode for the frame, in the frame.

Important Note:

When you put this file in your Non-Linear Editor, (NLE), for most NLE's, the NLE will use the initial timecode value, from the header for the first frame of the video.

Then, the NLE will recalculate the timecode for all subsequent frames from this initial value.
Thus, the timecode value for each subsequent frames may not be the original Time of Day.

Depending on your NLE, you may be able to "Burn-In" your timecode value into your frame of video, and/or examine the original timecode via various means.

This "Burned-In" timecode may be the original actual timecode value or may be the recalculated value, depending on how your NLE works.

I would suggest running a test.

I hope this helps.

Robin Probyn August 23rd, 2011 04:59 AM

Hi Dan

Ok thanks again.. yes I dont want to run tape for the TL.. so would use the internal TC.. sorry dont have the nano right here.. is there a time of day setting in the menu..

Thanks again for your time.. as always !

Dan Keaton August 23rd, 2011 06:16 AM

Dear Robin,

If you set your camera to Free Run or Time of Day Timecode, then you do not need to run tape.

Yes, the nanoFlash supports Time of Day Internal Timecode.

If you set your camera to Time of Day Timecode, then you do not need to use Internal Timecode, unless your video signal does not include embedded timecode (or you are using HDMI).

Robin Probyn August 23rd, 2011 05:43 PM

Hi Dan

Yes for ordinary shooting I plan to shoot tape at the same time.But for TL only Nano.. so I,ll set the internal TC for that.. so i dont have the heads spinning for ages.... thanks again