nanoFlash+FS100: mounitng options? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 24th, 2011, 03:59 AM   #1
Inner Circle

nanoFlash+FS100: mounitng options?

I'd like to ask those using the combo for their ideas on the best way of attaching the nano to FS100 when shooting handheld (on dedicated shoulder or tripod rigs, this is less of a problem).

I'd like the nanoFlash to be located at the right back of the camera - exactly the way it's located using Olof's base plate+nanoFlash arm and wing solution for the EX1. I've used it with my EX1 and it's great!

Yes I know the FS100 has a lot of sturdy mounting points at the bottom - pity though they're all covered once you fix a large tripod QR plate :(

Ideas?

Piotr
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Re: nanoFlash+FS100: mounitng options?

Hello Piotr,

A simple Hotshoe with 1/4"x20 Ball Mount attached to the top of the Microphone works very well, placing the nanoFlash Right above the FS100 LCD, Thus you can monitor both the camera and the nanoFlash very easily, even when using a Tripod.

Hope that Helps

Best Regards
Attached Thumbnails
nanoFlash+FS100: mounitng options?-nanoflash-nxcam-300-dpi.jpg  
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Andy, I did consider this elegant solution - the only disadvantage being that it makes the camera very front-heavy for handheld use (and again, mounting on a rig - either shouldermount or tripod - is not a problem at all).

Cheers

Piotr
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Piotr,

The nanoFlash's weight its actually just behind the lens, so it does not "feel" very front heavy, Also if you are using the handle on the right side of the camera, the nanoFlash is hardly noticeable, since the weight is almost over the center of the camera.

Hope That Helps
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #5
New Boot

I used Olaf's camera plate and he modified the shouder mount so that my camera (EX1) rests on the floor.

Olaf fitted a Vlock regulated IDX battery holder at the end of the shoulder mount so the weight of the 100 Watt Li -ion battey goes some way in balancing the camera..I will buy another Nanoflash extension arm/holder and mount the Nano back even further.

Olaf's kit is well made but I noticed a slight play between the camera plate and the shoulder extension - not that it bothers me anymore . That said , It think you should have a good look. I could not find anything better/lighter. He will also make up custom leads upon request.

If you liase or send a wish list into Sharyne (his wife) then she will sort you out with quotes.
Jeff Willis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey