Live SD stream from Nano - any advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 27th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #1
New Boot

Live SD stream from Nano - any advice

I am still trawling through the Nano and Sony manuals/ FAQ's etc but have come uo for a breath of air and help.

What I want to do is get 1050i HD signal from my EX1. and convert it to a 50 Mb SD signal out to a SMPTE SDI live stream ingest point with little or no latency. I don't necessarly have to record onto the CF so the E to E option may come into the fold ?

Has anybody done this? Also, some elementary guidance on changing the Nano settings for the above would be really great. I think I have got an information overload problem going on - my head is a but numb at present.

Whilst I am on about it, has anybody used an Osprey HD/SDI capture card in conjuction with a Nano or EX1/3 . This is test for another day though.

Jeff
Jeff Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Live SD stream from Nano - any advice

Not sure an HD-SDI stream can be anything other than 1.5Gbits/s... what are you hoping to do with a 50Mb XDCam stream, if you can manage to get one down an HD-SDI cable?
Trevor Asquerthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #3
New Boot

Basically, I am trying to find out if I can improve the EX1 HD to SD conversion which comes out as an SDI signal.
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I suspect since the nano uses a Sony chipset for encoding that you are going to see similar results as setting the EX1 SDI output to SD.
Old August 28th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Jeff,

I am sorry, but the nanoFlash does not perform downconversion of HD to SD.

I undertand that you want to take HD-SDI in and output SDI (SD-SDI).
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
I suspect since the nano uses a Sony chipset for encoding that you are going to see similar results as setting the EX1 SDI output to SD.
Yes, I just wondered if I could take the throttle of the SD signal from the camera..

Maybe I shoud explain here. A couple of weeks ago, I took the EX1 to a permanent Live News location (Parliament ) here in London, UK. , At the end of the news report we unhooked the Sony DSR 450 and patched in the EX1 via BNC and scooshed out an SDI siganl to the news gallery. A very tired Technial Dirctor (TD) reported that he was receiving the pic and sound in synch and it loooked OK

I then bought a NanoFlash for use on Corporate and posh two camera HD interviews. I started to wonder if I could improve the picture quality of the SD - SDI output with the help of the Nano. Basically I am trying to get the best picture quality with my kit as I have yet to do a full test when I can pin the TD down.
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Jeff,

I am sorry, but the nanoFlash does not perform downconversion of HD to SD.

I undertand that you want to take HD-SDI in and output SDI (SD-SDI).
Yes , that is correct. Please take a look at the reply I have posted to Chris Medico maybe that will explain what I am up to.

This is probably out of your remit but do you or anybody else know what the Sony EX1 process for HD to SD - SDI involves. I think it is just an HD to SD down conversion complying with a SMPTE 2590 SDI standard.
Jeff Willis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey