3D Nano Flash settings sticky ?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 18th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Major Player

3D Nano Flash settings sticky ??

I've probably pestered Dan way too many times about the "correct" settings for the 3D Nano Flash setup, so I'm thinking it would be very helpful to have a permanent "sticky" FAQ at the top of the forum that we could access via iPhone or other devices on set to double check our 3D menu settings.

It's a simple list of settings for Master/Slave setup, but if you get just one setting wrong then all of the features are not available or working properly.

I've printed out a version, but the last 3D shoot I was on I didn't have it with me or online so I had to go by memory - and at my age good memory is just a memory.

So I'll put this out for the good folks at C-D to decide.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

3D nanoFlash Settings for 1080p24

These menu settings are for the nano3D, and are sepecifically set up for 1080p24.
Other framerates may be used with appropriate adjustments.

The firmware on both units must be 1.6.246, or a later 3D version.
1.6.248 is a 2D firmware version and not suitable for 3D.

If the nano3D is to be used for 2D work, then please load the 1.6.248 firmware on both units.
You can easily reload the 1.6.246 nano3D firmware when you want to record 3D again.

The nano3D must be triggered using the remote control, as supplied with the nano3D.

The Remote Control Y-Cable must be installed, connected to both units.

Master Unit = Left Eye
Slave Unit = Right Eye

The cameras must be genlocked.
(If the cameras are not truely genlocked, then only the "Left Eye" will be seen.
The "Side by Side" output will only contain the "Left Eye" if the cameras are not genlocked.)

The 9” HDMI cable (Type C) to Type C must be installed properly with the nano3D.

The HDMI Out of the Slave Unit (Right Eye) must be connected to the HDMI In of the Master Unit (Left Eye).

(The nano3D does an excellent job of recording 3D. It does not do an acceptable job of playing back 3D on set at this time, with firmware 1.6.246). If you need immediately playback on set, please contact me.)

These are the settings for when the cameras are sending out 1080p24 (or 1080p23.976).

If your camera is sending out 1080p24 over 60 (with 3-2 Pulldown Removal Added),
then please contact us for advice as adjustments to these setting are required.

With 24p over 60, with Pulldown Frames added, one has to synchronize the cameras to ensure that the pulldown sequences are the same. This is in addition to genlocking the cameras.

If possible, please have your camera output 1080p24.

The Left Eye must be connected to the Master Unit, and
The Right Eye must be connected to the Slave Unit.

System Menu

Max Files Size 100%

Source SDI

File, on Left (Master Unit), set 1L then the clip number (Set Initially to 001), then 001.MOV or MXF (your choice depending on your editor)

File, on Right, set 1R then the clip number (Set Initially to 001), then 001.MOV or MXF (your choice depending on your editor)

Trigger: Remote Record (this is critical, do not use a different option)

Duration: Unchecked

Timecode: Source: LTC (Send timecode to nano3D via BNC timecode input on the Remote Control cable) or

Timecode: Source Embedded (if appropriate)

Source: SDI

Prebuffer off

Power Saving: Off

Video Menu

Bit-Rate: Your choice over 140 Mbps

Codec: I-Frame (This is critical)

Record PSF>Prog Off

Play PSF> Prog Off (Very Important)

Remove 3:2 Pulldown Off

720p 60/50 >30/25 Off

E to E Direct: Off

T-Lapse Off

Crank Off

Screen Tally Off

Flip V (as desired on left and right)

Flip H (as desired on left and right)

Video 3D Menu

Enable (on Master Unit Only) This is critical
Off (on Slave Unit Only) This is critical

Combine: Side by Side

Record Combined: Off

Play Ref: Ext (HDMI) on Master,
Int on Slave These are critical

Frame Shift 0 (Must be zero if you wish to use any Combine Function other than Side by Side)

Audio:

As desired

I do not recommend that you attempt to switch the nano3D’s into Play. This is critical

Note the above setup is for outputting the combined Side by Side signal via the Master’s unit’s HD-SDI output.

If you are using a consumer television, then you will need an AJA HD-SDI to HDMI converter, a Hi 5 3G model. Other models may not work in your application. For example, a Hi5 (no 3G) will not work with 1080p24.

As always, please feel free to call for assistance.

Respectfully,

Dan M. Keaton
Director of Sales and Marketing
Convergent Design

Here is a link with information how to contact us.

Support Contacts | Convergent Design
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: 3D Nano Flash settings sticky ??

Great list Dan, now how do we get it posted at the top of the forum as a sticky?
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Bruce,

That is up to the Moderators of DVInfo.net.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
That is up to the Moderators of DVInfo.net.
Dear Moderators of DVInfo.net, please position the second post on this thread (by Dan Keaton) as a permanent sticky on this forum to assist all users of Convergent Design's 3D Nano Flash recorder.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Major Player

In the interim while the moderators are deciding, I have posted Dan's instruction sheet for 3D Nano setup on my blog/website as a September post. All 3D Nano users should feel free to view and copy/paste to save for future reference.

www.primetime3d.net
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey