DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   CompactFlash Card Speed Testing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/500844-compactflash-card-speed-testing.html)

Dan Keaton September 19th, 2011 06:19 AM

CompactFlash Card Speed Testing

Dear Friends,

We have a CompactFlash Card Speed Test built into the nanoFlash.

This is in version 1.6.248, and every version since 1.6.226.

This is very easy to use:

1. Set up System|Trigger to "Record Button"

2. Set up Video|Bit Rate and Codec to the speed and codec you wish to use for the test.

3. Insert the card, then format it in the nanoFlash.

4. Supply a video signal to the nanoFlash, HD-SDI or HDMI.

5. To start the test:

a. Press and Hold the Left Arrow Button.
b. Press the Record Button.
c. Release both buttons.

The nanoFlash will start to record, and it will display a new line of info near the top of the screen.

On the left will be 0%, on the right will be 100%

There will be, starting out, a very thin sliver, near the 0%.

As recording progresses, this sliver will get wider at times, turning into a bar like a progress bar.

With a card that is fast enough, the wider bar will go back to the sliver (it will get very thin again).

If a card that is marginal, the bar may get quite wide, but not reach the 100% level before the card is full.

If the card is too slow, the bar will go all of the way to 100% before the card is full.

This feature allows one to see, the relative amount of data that we have in our First-In, First-Out Buffer.

If this buffer does not get to 100%, before the card is full, then the card is usable at that bit-rate.

Ideally, the card should be even faster, so that the First-In, First Out Buffer is almost empty most of the time. This indicates that the card is fast enough, and has an extra margin of speed.

Regretfully, there are a lot of counterfeit cards, especially SanDisk cards and a few other brands have been counterfeited, but this is very rare.

We always recommend purchasing your CompactFlash cards from reputable sources.

This test will allow you to test if your cards are up to speed or not, for any given bit-rate.

In general, we do recommend that you stay within the guidelines that we have established for various cards that we have qualified. Here is a link to our Media page:

Media for nanoFlash | Convergent Design

Brian Crow April 9th, 2012 04:12 PM

Re: CompactFlash Card Speed Testing

Dan,

Is there a similar speed test available in the XDR?

Currently at firmware 1.5.91

I tried the same method but it did not work.

Brian

Dan Keaton April 11th, 2012 10:19 AM

Dear Brian,

I have not checked, but I feel that we do not have this feature in the Flash XDR at this time.

Gints Klimanis April 17th, 2012 11:03 AM

Thanks, Dan . Is there a way to distinguish the real and counterfeit SanDisk cards? Markings? Speed? Also, can we be assured of a proper SanDisk card from a reputable dealer such as BH Photo?

Dan Keaton April 23rd, 2012 06:34 AM

Dear Gints,

I am sorry, but I do not have any information on how to detect counterfeit SanDisk cards. eBay had an article about this, but this is a moving target, so no article will be definitive.

I always recommend purchasing CompactFlash cards from a reputable source, and B&H is certainly one of the most reputable sources.

Michael Sims April 23rd, 2012 07:06 PM

I did a search on Google for counterfeit cards. It had several photos showing a comparison of legit and fake cards. I was able to determine the cards I bought on ebay were counterfeit and got a refund. I'll never buy cards on ebay again. Lesson learned.

Dan Keaton April 23rd, 2012 07:12 PM

Dear Michael,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Your post will help more than anything I could ever post.

Michael Sims April 24th, 2012 12:45 PM

Happy to help so no one else has to go the the irritation I had to endure with the counterfeit cards. It took me over a month to get my refund. I was surprised I actually got it finally. I was sure the money was gone.

Also, Dan, it was a pleasure to meet you at NAB and say thank you in person for all your help on this forum. My Nanoflash is a key component of my production gear.

Dan Keaton April 24th, 2012 01:03 PM

Dear Michael,

Thank you for the nice words.

It is especially nice to hear that you got your memory back.