DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Record trigger and feedback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/500975-record-trigger-feedback.html)

Adam Letch September 22nd, 2011 09:47 PM

Record trigger and feedback

Hi guys,

will be purchasing a nano soon, But I'd like to know, when you hit record on your camera,does the unit automatically sync with time code to whats going to tape, and records as well without further need of manual input onto the unit itself?

And when it records, for example I have a JVC HD251. Will it display in my viewfinder that its recording, my current DRDH100 show its recording in the viewfinder. Or will a bios update be required?

sorry I should do a search but are rushing this between jobs

cheers

Adam

Robin Probyn September 28th, 2011 08:11 PM

Re: Record trigger and feedback

Hi Adam

I used the nano with Pana HDX900.. the TC wasnt apparently exactly in sync with the tape image.. but by setting a delay of 1 sec.. in the nano menu, it is.. Its not such a big deal for me.. as either the tape is going to be used or the nano files.. but nice to have it in sync anyway i guess.

I dont believe there is any way to see that the nano is recording in the VF.. a good habit is to check the red light is blinking !!! on the nano..

If you are set to record trigger time code.. as long as you have tape/media in your camera it will start the nano recording after you hit record on your camera with a little delay.. and stop when you stop recording on the camera..

If not you can record just to the nano by hitting the record button on the unit itself or use a remote cable..

Dan Keaton September 29th, 2011 12:26 AM

Dear Adam,

It is nice to hear that you are interested in the nanoFlash.

Yes, the camera's timecode can be embedded in the HD-SDI signal, along with the audio and video.

Then the nanoFlash can be set to automatically start recording when the timecode is incrementing.

If the camera does not embed timecode, a "Timecode Cable" can be used to expose the Timecode Input on the nanoFlash, which is a signal available on the "Remote" connector.

On certain cameras, such as the Panasonic HDX900, the timecode values increment at inappropriate times, or provide erroronous values. We have a fix for that that Robin mentioned.

Also, nanoFlash.net makes some nice cables, with a small Red LED on the end that allows you to check when the nanoFlash is actually recording. You can place this near your viewfinder.

Most cameras are not equipped to accept a signal from an external recorder, thus supplying a Record Tally Light in your viewfinder is not typically available.

We provide 24/7 support.

Here is a link to a page with different ways to contact us.

Support Contacts | Convergent Design

Adam Letch September 29th, 2011 06:35 AM

thanks for the reply guys,

The other question I had Dan is I will often shoot 720 50p, The JVC can shoot this with a audio stream, the Nano doesn't support audio in this mode according to the manual, unless you drop every second frame. Why would someone shoot like this?? I know some cameras record this way and drop frames like with a 24p pulldown, but why would one do this, is there a possibility of including the audio stream in future updates?

Thanks for your time

Regards

Adam

Dan Keaton September 29th, 2011 03:47 PM

Dear Adam,

The nanoFlash can record fine, with audio at 720p50, 720p59.94 and 720p60.

Audio is only an issue, when one is over and under-cranking (slow motion and fast motion).

Adam Letch September 29th, 2011 06:10 PM

Thanks Dan your a legend!

Regards

Adam