DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Missing first file? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/501436-missing-first-file.html)

Paul Ream October 9th, 2011 06:50 AM

Missing first file?

Hi,

I'm using a new Nanoflash recording HDSDI from a Sony F3 in order to meet minimum ITV 50MB/s specifications (Long GOP .MXF) These are quite long continuous recording sessions of often more than a couple of hours at a time.

All appears to be well except every now and again I'm getting an unreadable .MXF file. What's odd is this is usually the first file (01001001.MXF) of any recording session. ie: The first file on any CF card. The other spanned files all appear okay.

It doesn't corrupt the first file every time... just every now and again. Has anyone any idea what this may be?

Thank you.

Dan Keaton October 9th, 2011 11:34 AM

Re: Missing first file?

Dear Paul,

This is very unusual.

What CompactFlash cards are you using?

What Bit-Rate are you using?

My contact info is at the bottom of this webpage:

Support Contacts | Convergent Design

You may call me any time, 24/7.

Paul Ream October 9th, 2011 12:42 PM

Hi Dan,

So sorry to bother you with this and thanks for answering so quickly...
I only use 32GB 90MB/s SanDisk Extreme Pro's and I'm recording .MXF's at 50M L-GOP.

However, I now don't believe there's any problem with the Nanoflash !!!

What I have been doing was immediately backing up the shot material to a Macbook Pro using either the supplied USB CF Reader or a slightly faster Firewire 800 SanDisk model. These files then get copied to a rugged lacie drive for delivery to the edit. That way we have two backup copies very quickly after each shoot.

Since writing my post above, I've been able to retrieve an original shot CF card that hadn't been wiped yet and supposedly contained a corrupt first MXF file... only to find that it's all okay? It would seem that the first file is being corrupted during the copy process either to the macbook or the lacie drive.

I'm copying using OSX Lion 10.7.1 with firewire or USB, and now think this might be where it's all going wrong? What I was doing was dragging the whole "}clip{" folder to a new folder on the macbook but only 01001001.MXF was being corrupted? I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had file copy issues with Lion. I'm investigating further but not yet been able to repeat the random error. In the mean time I've downloaded Calibrated design's MXF import and can verify each file after transfer.

Anyway, many apologies - there's nothing wrong with my Nanoflash and I wish I'd never written the original post !!!

/embarrassed

Dan Keaton October 9th, 2011 01:18 PM

Dear Paul,

Thank you for posting again!

Please feel free to contact us at any time.

Robin Probyn October 10th, 2011 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Ream (Post 1687458)
Hi Dan,

So sorry to bother you with this and thanks for answering so quickly...
I only use 32GB 90MB/s SanDisk Extreme Pro's and I'm recording .MXF's at 50M L-GOP.

However, I now don't believe there's any problem with the Nanoflash !!!

What I have been doing was immediately backing up the shot material to a Macbook Pro using either the supplied USB CF Reader or a slightly faster Firewire 800 SanDisk model. These files then get copied to a rugged lacie drive for delivery to the edit. That way we have two backup copies very quickly after each shoot.

Since writing my post above, I've been able to retrieve an original shot CF card that hadn't been wiped yet and supposedly contained a corrupt first MXF file... only to find that it's all okay? It would seem that the first file is being corrupted during the copy process either to the macbook or the lacie drive.

I'm copying using OSX Lion 10.7.1 with firewire or USB, and now think this might be where it's all going wrong? What I was doing was dragging the whole "}clip{" folder to a new folder on the macbook but only 01001001.MXF was being corrupted? I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had file copy issues with Lion. I'm investigating further but not yet been able to repeat the random error. In the mean time I've downloaded Calibrated design's MXF import and can verify each file after transfer.

Anyway, many apologies - there's nothing wrong with my Nanoflash and I wish I'd never written the original post !!!

/embarrassed

Shotput pro is also very good down loading software.. and will give a report at the end.. this might help ..

Paul Ream October 10th, 2011 03:34 PM

Good point - I'll give that a try, thank you.

After a bit more research, it would seem I'm not alone with having a few file copy issues with finder on Lion!