DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   TC over HDMI - when? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/501615-tc-over-hdmi-when.html)

Piotr Wozniacki October 14th, 2011 04:41 PM

TC over HDMI - when?

So it'll soon be half a year since we have the FS100 camera with its gorgeous HDMI output, which also conveys the TC....

May I ask for ETA on the promised nanoFlash firmware to handle the FS100 timecode?

Thanks

Piotr

Bob Grant October 17th, 2011 03:48 AM

Re: TC over HDMI - when?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1688739)
So it'll soon be half a year since we have the FS100 camera with its gorgeous HDMI output, which also conveys the TC....

May I ask for ETA on the promised nanoFlash firmware to handle the FS100 timecode?

Thanks

Piotr

I was about to resurrect my old thread to ask the same question :)

Now that we're here, another question. The FS100 also does "RGB" over HDMI, does anyone know what this is and if it's something the Nano could make use of?

Dan Keaton October 17th, 2011 04:17 AM

Dear Bob,

I will ask Sony today about their RGB mode in the FS100.

In the F3, RGB mode is typically associated with 4:4:4.

Chris Medico October 17th, 2011 06:25 AM

RGB encoding is required by the HDMI interface standard. That was one of the hold overs from DVI to ensure compatibility with RGB displays such as computer monitors. This is one of the reasons you can buy a DVI to HDMI cable and use your computer monitor just like a HDMI monitor or use a HDMI monitor with a computer with a simple "dumb" cable.

For reference my Sony V1u and HC3 both have HDMI outputs and I've connected them directly to RGB only monitors by using a HDMI to DVI cable. This means both of those cameras support the RGB colorspace via HDMI. Any HDMI source correctly supporting the full standard must do this.

The truly interesting question to answer is this - What are the specs on the RAW output stream from the video processor inside the FS100? The answer to that question will tell you if there is something there worth investment of your time.

If the internal processor outputs 8bit 4:2:2 then regardless of what is coming out of the HDMI port its not going to be REAL. Extra bits will be added by the HDMI encoder to conform to the signal standards. There won't be any extra information to use.

Piotr Wozniacki October 21st, 2011 04:53 AM

Just to remind CD that mine (and Bob's) question on a new firmware ETA has still not been addressed...

And it's not just a question about time, but - more importantly - CD's ability & willingness to provide us F100/nanoFlash users with the TC-over-HDMI support.

Dan Keaton October 23rd, 2011 09:49 AM

Dear Friends,

As most of you are aware, we are very busy finishing the firmware for the Gemini 4:4:4.

As soon as possible, we will be updating the firmware in the nanoFlash to recognize the Timecode embedded in the Sony FS100 HDMI stream (if possible).

In the meantime, the nanoFlash allows you to generate internal timecode.

Of course, this would mean that the timecode in the FS100 (if used) would be different than the timecode in the nanoFlash and pressing the record button on the FS100 would not automatically start the nanoFlash.

I only offer this as a workaround until we can add this feature to the nanoFlash.

Bob Grant October 26th, 2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1690950)
Dear Friends,

As most of you are aware, we are very busy finishing the firmware for the Gemini 4:4:4.

As soon as possible, we will be updating the firmware in the nanoFlash to recognize the Timecode embedded in the Sony FS100 HDMI stream (if possible).

In the meantime, the nanoFlash allows you to generate internal timecode.

Of course, this would mean that the timecode in the FS100 (if used) would be different than the timecode in the nanoFlash and pressing the record button on the FS100 would not automatically start the nanoFlash.

I only offer this as a workaround until we can add this feature to the nanoFlash.

The difference in the TC between the camera and the Nano is probably not such a big issue. Having to press the record button on the Nano is an issue.

Piotr Wozniacki November 26th, 2011 12:28 PM

I'd really like a definite answer from CD on the following promises re: the nanoFlash firmware:

- TC over HDMI (mainly with the FS100)
- removing bug in cranked MXF files
- ability to mix analog and embedded audio

Now, I understand perfectly all CD's manpower is devoted to the Gemini now, but please don't forget about you loyal nanoFlash customers!

Thanks,

Piotr