DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   nanoFlash + Canon XF Footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/502095-nanoflash-canon-xf-footage.html)

Dan Keaton October 28th, 2011 02:38 PM

nanoFlash + Canon XF Footage

Dear Friends,

Here is one item that does not get dicussed much.

We have included in the nanoFlash firmware, the ability to playback Canon XF 100, XF 105, XF 300 and XF 305 footage.

Thus, if you have any of the above cameras, the nanoFlash can be used as a playback device.

This can be helpful for remote trucks that need to playback the Canon footage over HD-SDI so it can be transmitted back to the station.

Of course, there are other uses.

Jack Zhang November 23rd, 2011 11:40 PM

Re: nanoFlash + Canon XF Footage

On a similar tangent, you mention in the manual Final Cut MOVs with the XDCAM HD422 codec rewrapped to MXF can be played on the Nanoflash. Anyone have experience with playing Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere Pro rendered MXF files in the XDCAM HD422 format on the Nanoflash?

Dan Keaton November 24th, 2011 07:41 AM

Dear Jack,

As I currently understand it:

One can take a Quicktime file (".MOV", created in Final Cut Pro, process it through our file converter, and then play it on the nanoFlash.

We have not, at this time, created a file converter for other NLE's such as Sony Vegas or Premiere Pro.

Jack Zhang January 20th, 2012 10:31 PM

Just for the heck of it, I've just tested a Sony Vegas export to MXF and the nano decided it to play it in 480p59, when the source is XDCAM HD422 50Mbps 1080i59.

Dan Keaton January 21st, 2012 01:59 AM

Dear Jack,

That is very interesting.

Jack Zhang January 21st, 2012 03:35 AM

It was playing garbage. Static sound with possibly bad picture.

Dan Keaton January 21st, 2012 06:18 AM

Dear Jack,

As you probably know, we support the process of

1. Rendering out a timeline in Final Cut Pro 6 or 7, but not yet FCP X (as far as I know, not tested),

2. Using the Sony XDCam 422 codec,

3. Then processing the rendered file via our File Converter,

4. Then loading the processed file to a CompactFlash card,

5. For playback in the nanoFlash.

We choose Final Cut Pro due to its popularity.

In order for the nanoFlash to function properly, we have to have an efficient process.
We can't have a lot of computing overhead looking for information in the file headers and trailers.

Thus, every field and bit of information has a precise place and we know where everything is.

We assume that Final Cut Pro does similar processing, everything has a specific place.

Of course, the spec's for these files specify the information, but not the exact placement of the information.

Thus our placement, FCP's, and Sony Vegas' placement is most likely very different.

So, our File Converter takes the FCP file header and trailer infomation and rearranges it so it is in our format.

We have not yet written a similar program for Sony Vegas. Thus, many things will not be in the correct places.

If you happen to have the hardware, the proper interfaces, that allow you to play out a Sony Vegas' or any other Non-Linear Editors' timeline over HD-SDI or HDMI, then you can just record the edited footage in the nanoFlash in any bit-rate and flavor that you want.

Jack, I hope this helps.

Jack Zhang January 21st, 2012 04:00 PM

It was just an experiment to see if it worked or not. The NLEs just don't format the MXFs the same. I remember if you rendered a XDCAM HD file in any version of Vegas past 7.0e, it won't open in 7.0e.

I found XDCAM EX is a excellent alternative by rendering a EX MP4 and exporting it to my SD card via Clip Browser to play via the EX1R.

I have an Intensity Pro for output, but this brings up an issue I brought up in another thread and I wish to continue that discussion on that thread if you don't mind.