DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   probs with nano (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/502143-probs-nano.html)

Ian Thomas October 30th, 2011 11:31 AM

probs with nano

This will be for Dan

filming a football match yesterday had the nano set to 35mbps hd mpg this so rendering times are shortened for dvd, i noticed a few times through the match no SRC was displayed and somthing else came up (something clip) but i can't remember, had to turn nano of and reboot and it was ok for a while then it would do it again, I reckon i lost a 25% of the match!!! any ideas please

Dan Keaton October 30th, 2011 01:09 PM

Re: probs with nano

Dear Ian,

No SRC (No Source) can be caused by the following problems:

1. The Camera. This is highly unlikely, so this possibility should be ignored.

2. A bad or intermittent HD-SDI cable, or the wrong cable being used.

The cable must be a good True 75 Ohm HD-SDi cable with True 75 Ohm BNC connectors.

A bad cable will definitely give you "No SRC". And it may fail just as you describe.

3. A problem in the receiver circuit of the nanoFlash. And it may fail just as you describe.

This could be the problem. We will be happy to test and/or repair the nanoFlash.

4. Attemting to record 1080p23.976 or 720p23.976, with 3:2 Pulldown Active and the camera sending Color Bars. In this case, we cannot detect the 3:2 Pulldown Cadence and you will probably see "No SRC".

From your post, this is certainly not the problem in this case.

Here is a link for Serial Digital Interface on Wikipedia.

Serial digital interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Their image of a cable with a BNC connector is wrong. They are showing a 50 Ohm BNC connector.

If you connector looks like this, with a white plastic collar, then it is 50 Ohm and will cause problems.

A 75 Ohm connector will not have the white plastic collar.

Ian Thomas October 30th, 2011 01:25 PM

Hi Dan

No mine has a black collar and has been working flawless it just started yesterday i have not been able to look at the recordings that were captured as yet on the nano, is there anything else in the settings that might have caused it for i might have ticked something that might not be required to be on

Ian

Dave Sperling October 30th, 2011 02:00 PM

I've had instances when I've hit the 'record review' button on the camera, which has caused a 'no src' error to display on the screen of the Nano. However the Nano did continue to record all takes, but the error message kept flashing to indicate that there had at some point been a loss of source. The first time it happened I thought that there might have been a recording problem, but discovered that I hadn't missed a single take. Apparently the error message keeps displaying until it is cleared via reboot.

Ian Thomas October 30th, 2011 02:55 PM

Hi Dave

Thanks for that i will check what the nano recorded, has it done it since

Ian

Dan Keaton October 30th, 2011 04:48 PM

Dear Ian and Dave,

1. In the picture, you will notice the center pin.
Then there will be open space, then a while color (if it is 50 Ohm), then a metal outer ring.

For 75 Ohm connectors, there is only the center pin, and the metal outer ring, no white plastic part as shown in the video.

By Black Collar, I assume you mean the outer shell or boot is black plastic.
This does not determine if the connector is 50 Ohm or 75 Ohm.

2. The nanoFlash will put up persistent error messages if a serious error occurs while recording.

One needs to power off to clear these errors. This is intended to ensure that the user has an opportunitity to see that a serious error has occurred.

Simon Wood October 31st, 2011 09:40 AM

Only time I got a No Source message happened when I was using a damaged sdi cable. Fiddling and moving the cable confirmed that the nano would lose the signal. It was one of those very thin cables, so now I carry 2 with me to any shoot (only the thick ones).