DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Close call (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/502357-close-call.html)

Tim Lucas November 5th, 2011 12:28 PM

Close call

On a recent shoot while setting up the camera for the day, my soundie accidentally partially ejected my Nano CF card while attaching radio mics to the back of the cam where my nanoflash is mounted.

I went through almost half of the day blissfully unaware that nothing was recording to my card. I was supposed to be recording IMX50 for SD broadcast.

Fortunately I was shooting on my PMW350 which was dual recording to my SxS card in HD so it was just a simple matter of recording a down-converted SDI feed into the studio.

Never the less it was a close call with a reminder that we shouldn't assume anything. Always check and check again. A simple mistake that could have cost me a client.

Tim.

Billy Steinberg November 5th, 2011 04:27 PM

Re: Close call

In case you didn't know about it, Convergent Design sells an accessory that puts a metal surround frame around the two card slots and their eject buttons. It doesn't make it impossible to accidentally eject a card, but it does make it MUCH harder. I bought one (and have used it) since it was released. It's under $20 as I recall, and can be ordered from the CD web site.

Billy

Robin Probyn November 5th, 2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Lucas (Post 1694431)
On a recent shoot while setting up the camera for the day, my soundie accidentally partially ejected my Nano CF card while attaching radio mics to the back of the cam where my nanoflash is mounted.

I went through almost half of the day blissfully unaware that nothing was recording to my card. I was supposed to be recording IMX50 for SD broadcast.

Fortunately I was shooting on my PMW350 which was dual recording to my SxS card in HD so it was just a simple matter of recording a down-converted SDI feed into the studio.

Never the less it was a close call with a reminder that we shouldn't assume anything. Always check and check again. A simple mistake that could have cost me a client.

Tim.

Glad it worked out ok for you.. you must be way more laid back than me.. :) I check for that flashing red light every time, every shot.. actually I tend to just keep rolling more than I would under non nanoflash recording mode.. I second the card guard .. well worth the small out lay..

Scott Stoneback November 5th, 2011 10:31 PM

I decided to buy a remote record button. It adds a cable to the camera's jungle of cables but it provides a red light, which I mount right next to the viewfinder. It gives me a visual, at my eye, that shows I am recording. Prior to that, I had too many shots that start out with me swinging the camera around to see the recorder working, then going to my shot. Weird for editors and unprofessional.

Get the remote record with light. It is a lifesaver.

Robin Probyn November 6th, 2011 01:39 AM

I read on this forum.. someone was saying that sometimes the remote cable wouldnt always stop the recording when pressed.. ? have you ever had that problem?

Thanks

Robin

Doug Jensen November 6th, 2011 05:46 AM

You have to hold the button down on the remote for a couple of beats before it stops the recording. The Nano is designed that way (not hte remote) to make sure you don't accidentally stop if you just happen to brush the button. I'm not sure I agree with that thinking, but that's the way it is. Once you get used to the way it works it's no big deal.

Robin Probyn November 6th, 2011 06:04 AM

Hi Doug

Ok thanks for the info.. yes I think I will get one..any other tricks to know ?? I guess the double punch could be a pain as it would switch to the next card? the short cable and long cable seem to have a slightly different design too..?

Dan Keaton November 7th, 2011 10:28 AM

Dear Friends,

When using a Remote Control cable, we have two main modes:

1. Human Interface Mode.

2. Electrical or Computer Interface Mode.

For Humans, it the button is pressed, we start recording.
But, we do not stop, unless the button is held down for 1/2 second.

This is to prevent a recording from being accidently stopped.

In Mode 2, if the switch held down or circuit is closed, then we record and stop when released.

We have remote controls which are not momentary, but press once to start and press again to stop.

Doug Jensen November 7th, 2011 11:32 AM

Dan, good to know.

I had my cable custom made by someone else before CD had their own. I will have to see if I can change the menu settings to make my "off" switch momentary instead of having to hold it down . . . but on the other hand, I guess I've gotten used to it already.

Robin, I don't have any other tricks to share. The Nano has proven itself to be a very straightforward, easy to understand, and 100% reliable piece of gear since I got mine 2-3 years ago.

Dan Keaton November 7th, 2011 12:36 PM

Dear Doug,

Use "Remote" or "Record and Remote" if you are using a momentary switch.

Use "Remote Level" if you are using a regular switch (a switch that latches in one position).

Jeffrey Cook November 7th, 2011 03:59 PM

Does anyone make a simple remote rec light that could be mounted near the viewfinder to confirm recording regardless of mode?

I too shoot blindly most of the time because the Nano is mounted behind me, but I'm always dual recording and perfer the time code record mode for the single start/stop function.

Robin Probyn November 7th, 2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1695012)
Dan, good to know.

I had my cable custom made by someone else before CD had their own. I will have to see if I can change the menu settings to make my "off" switch momentary instead of having to hold it down . . . but on the other hand, I guess I've gotten used to it already.

Robin, I don't have any other tricks to share. The Nano has proven itself to be a very straightforward, easy to understand, and 100% reliable piece of gear since I got mine 2-3 years ago.

Yes Ive had mine about a year or so too.. no problems at all.. I should have been more precise .. I was wondering if you had any tricks for the remote cable.. thanks again for your time..

Doug Jensen November 7th, 2011 09:41 PM

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. I had someone else make the remote a couple of years ago so I can't tell you how it compares to the CD remote, but I really like mine. The cable is a very flexible rubber and I like that a lot. I push the button to start and the red light comes on . . . I hold it down for 1/2 second to stop recording and the light goes off. Pretty simple! Not much more to say beyond that :-)

Robin Probyn November 8th, 2011 02:43 AM

Hi Doug

Ok thanks.. yes simple is best..! glad to hear there are no tricks!!!

Scott Stoneback November 8th, 2011 09:41 AM

When I set up my Nano, 99% of the time, I am recording to tape as backup. Therefore, I set the Nano to record-timecode trigger. When I am rolling, the light comes on automatically.

As a side note, I ran out of tape while shooting b-roll a few weeks ago, so set the Nano to remote trigger. It took me a few takes to realize that I needed to hold the button down for a beat before it would stop recording. Mildly annoying at first but I got used to it.

I weaved the record button up through my HDX's Kata cover, so that it is positioned right next to my eyepiece. It works great, I can confirm with a quick glance, that I am recording at the Nano.