DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   remote cable/rigging.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/502652-remote-cable-rigging.html)

Robin Probyn November 13th, 2011 11:38 PM

remote cable/rigging..

Just got first remote cable .. !! all seems to work ok.. a couple of questions

1 I noticed as a test,just giving the switch a quick tap,whilst recording .. there was a message "closed file" pretty self explanatory.. but why this function? what would be the purpose.. presumably no harm done during a recording.. but does it give a small gap in a shot.. if this function were to happen accidentally.. better than switching it off I know..

2 Will be using it with an HDX900.. with Kata cover.. just wondered if anyone has some good ideas,or where do you rig the cable.. I though maybe up through the viewfinder cover,just above the locking device,ie where the viewfinder is locked onto the camera body.I have the nano mounted on the handle,in the front,on ball joint. Obviously you want it somewhere handy.. but not somewhere where your going to knock it hand held.
I want to be able to see that red light every now again too !!

Thanks

Dan Keaton November 14th, 2011 10:14 AM

Re: remote cable/rigging..

Dear Robin,

I am surprised that you got a small gap in the file when you tapped the remote control button.

Pressing the button allows one to close the current file and open the next, thus this can be used to logically separate files, say when one speaker ends and another starts. There should be no gap, no lost video frames or lost audio. It should be seamless.

I will have our lab test that.

What setting for System|Trigger did you use? Record&Remote or Remote?

With the HDX900, nanoFlash.net offers a custom Pro Lens Cable that allows you to record when you press the Record button on the lens. This one has a separate tiny Red LED tally light that you can put near your viewfinder.

This one allows you to record without a tape in your HDX900.

Robin Probyn November 14th, 2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1696963)
Dear Robin,

I am surprised that you got a small gap in the file when you tapped the remote control button.

Pressing the button allows one to close the current file and open the next, thus this can be used to logically separate files, say when one speaker ends and another starts. There should be no gap, no lost video frames or lost audio. It should be seamless.

I will have our lab test that.

What setting for System|Trigger did you use? Record&Remote or Remote?

With the HDX900, nanoFlash.net offers a custom Pro Lens Cable that allows you to record when you press the Record button on the lens. This one has a separate tiny Red LED tally light that you can put near your viewfinder.

This one allows you to record without a tape in your HDX900.

Hi Dan

Sorry I didnt explain very well..

I was asking if there was a gap.. I didnt actually check at the time.. just a quick check with the camera without lens on.. I asked as the red recording light on the nanofash seemed to go from the blinking record mode.. to solid red for a beat.. during close file mode.. so I wondered if there was any gap in recording .. but good to hear there isnt..incase the cable did get pressed by accident during recording mode.Setting Record & Remote

Didnt know about the HDX900 cable !! just looked at the pic.. so it also powers the nanoflash too?
Thanks again

Dan Keaton November 14th, 2011 11:37 PM

Dear Robin,

Thanks for clear it up about the gap, as there is none.

The Pro Lens Cable, available from nanoFlash.net , is designed for pro cameras that have a 12-Pin Hirose Lens cable connector at the front of the camera.

This connector is fairly standard on many pro cameras.

This Pro Lens Cable goes in-between the lens cable and the camera's lens connector, and intercepts the Record Button.

This signal then goes to the nanoFlash.

There is also a separeate cable with a tiny Red LED Tally light that you can position near the viewfinder or any other place on the camera that you want. This Tally Light will start the blink when there is less than 5 minutes of recording time left on the nanoFlash, and blink faster when less than 2 minutes. Otherwise this Tally Light is on solid.

No, this cable does not power the nanoFlash.

The nanoFlash requires (at this time), one to press the remote control button for 1/2 second to stop a recording. This ensures that recordings are not accidentally stopped, and allows for one to close one file and start another upon command by briefly hitting the remote control button.

With the Pro Lens cable, the Record Button on the front of the lens becomes the Remote Control button.

And, one does not need to have tape in the camera.

And one can use continusous running timecode and still record properly to the nanoFlash.

Overall, this is a very desirable cable.

Robin Probyn November 15th, 2011 04:25 AM

Thanks Dan

ah I didnt know about this cable .. I probably would have got it.. does the remote cable 36 inch .. also blink when 5 mins /2 mins remain on the nanoflash.. ?

Thanks

Dan Keaton November 15th, 2011 07:09 AM

Dear Robin,

Yes.

You may return your other cable to www.nanoFlash.net for full credit.

But, I realize that shipping costs are relavatively high to Japan.

Robin Probyn November 16th, 2011 10:36 PM

Thanks for the offer Dan..

This one I have should be fine.. might get that other one as well later..

David Schott November 17th, 2011 10:23 PM

We had just a tally light cable made for us for use on our Ex1R in a gates housing. It works great through the back glass port on the housing. We have found ourselves using it all the time, even when shooting on land. The tally light gives you that extra confidence knowing that the Nano is doing its job!