DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Converting Gemini dpx files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/504418-converting-gemini-dpx-files.html)

Steve Kimmel January 16th, 2012 12:22 AM

Converting Gemini dpx files

I'm trying to use Adobe Media Encoder to convert Gemini files to Cineform AVI. It runs fine but the video looks very jumpy when played back -- almost looks like it's missing frames. I'm converting 23.98 fps .

Any advice?

Thanks.

Steve Kimmel January 16th, 2012 01:31 AM

Re: Converting Gemini dpx files

If it helps any, I am converting a 10 second clip and it's converting into an about 8 second clip. So, looks like it's dropping frames somewhere.

I was just able to try this with the Cineform DPX decoder and it worked fine (10 second clip).

Thanks for any advice.

Alister Chapman January 16th, 2012 01:42 AM

Check that it's recognising the correct frame rate for the DPX file. You may need to use the "Interpret Footage" function to set the correct frame rate. If your default settings are for 30fps 30p/60i then it will treat your 23.98fps DPX footage as 30p and that's why it only comes out at 8 sec and not 10 secs and will be a bit jumpy.

Steve Kimmel January 16th, 2012 09:09 AM

Thanks Alister! That's exactly what was happening!

Is there a way to fix this as a preference or does one have to do this with each import?

Thanks again

Andy Mangrum January 16th, 2012 11:08 AM

Hello Steve,

You should be able to set this under Preferences, all keep in Mind unless you are playing the footage off a Raid, the footage will most likely not playback smoothly in real time,

Also Thank you Alister for your response,

As a Test you can always check your files with After Effects, we find that it plays back DPX files very well, as long as the drive it is being played off of is fast enough.

Best Regards

Steve Kimmel January 16th, 2012 11:11 AM

Thanks Andy. I don't see anything in Preferences to set this in Media Encoder. Is there a way to set up the Gemini to flag the footage with the correct frame rate?

Thanks.

Andy Mangrum January 16th, 2012 06:00 PM

Hello Steve,

This is already set in the Metadata, as well as in every dpx frame,

I will try to look into this tomorrow.

Best Regards

Steve Kimmel January 16th, 2012 06:58 PM

Thanks Andy. I must say, the files out of the Gemini are stupendous!

Steve Kimmel January 19th, 2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Mangrum (Post 1709807)
Hello Steve,

This is already set in the Metadata, as well as in every dpx frame,

I will try to look into this tomorrow.

Best Regards

Hi Andy. Have you been able to find anything on this?

Thanks.

Andy Mangrum January 20th, 2012 09:52 AM

Hey Steve,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I was checking in Preferences and I did not see a way to set the Default,

I will speak with our Adobe to see if there is a way to set it, or if we can have it correctly recognized in the future,

Best Regards

Alister Chapman January 20th, 2012 09:59 AM

I think if you change the frame rate under "preferences", "Appearance", it has a knock on effect to the default playback rate for un-recognised files.

Steve Kimmel January 20th, 2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1710561)
I think if you change the frame rate under "preferences", "Appearance", it has a knock on effect to the default playback rate for un-recognised files.

Doesn't seem to work for me -- Mine is set to 24 fps but still showing Gemini files as 29.97 fps.