Gemini 4:4:4 Production Level Firmware 1.0.594 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 11th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Gemini 4:4:4 Production Level Firmware 1.0.594

Dear Friends,

Yesterday, we posted a major firmware release for the Gemini 4:4:4, version 1.0.594.

This is a significant upgrade for the Gemini 4:4:4.

And most importantly, this is a thoroughly tested, Production Level release, not Beta firmware.

We have recorded literally thousands of files, and checked each one individually.

We have been testing this firmware version on 30 Gemini 4:4:4's, recording round the clock, in a special loop recording mode.

We are sending out individual emails to all registered uses of the Gemini 4:4:4.

This release adds:

The ability to record two channels of embedded Audio.
The Audio is recorded as a WAV file and placed in the same folder as the video files for a Clip.

The ability to record metadata, which includes the following:

Reel Number
Scene Number
Take Number
Shooting Day
Camera Number or Letter
Project Name

In addition, the user may specify the Clip Name
and we add a sequential number on the end in case the same Clip Name is used repeatedly.

The Gemini 4:4:4 will also record:

The Month, Day, and Year for the Clip
The Time of Day when the Clip was started
The Starting Timecode for the Clip
The Duration of the Clip

This release also adds the ability to work with CineFlex cameras, in 4:4:4 mode with early CineFlex firmware. Thus, with this firmware version we can now work with all CineFlex cameras, as far as we know.

Please note that the Gemini 4:4:4 works well with both 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 cameras.

The External Timecode Input, for LTC timecode via our Remote Control connector is now enabled.
Please note, however, with this release, Trigger on Incrementing Timecode requires Timecode to be embedded in the HD-SDI input stream, which is the usual case. Triggering on incrementing timecode over LTC is rarely needed, but will be included in a future firmware release.

Another major upgrade of this release is the ability to select individual files, one or many, for playback via our Play List features.

The Play List includes the following, so that the desired clip to be played back may be quickly located:

Clip Name and three digit numeric extension
Duration
Scene Number
Take Number
Date of Clip
Time of Clip (Starting Time)
Starting Timecode
Shooting Day

The Camera Number, Reel Number, and Project Name are not included in this list, as these generally do not change while recording a series of clips on a single Gemini 4:4:4. This information is, however, recorded in the file header of each DPX file.

This feature also allows one to Loop, (playback continuously), the selected files.

Unless the "Play All" Option is selected in the Play List, one can just press the Play button when in Play mode to immediately play back the last clip recorded.

We also added a brightness control, 20% to 100%, for both the LED's and the LCD. This is very helpful when shooting in dark environments.

We have added a "Screen Flip" mode, which allows the Gemini 4:4:4 to be mounted upside down, if desired. This Flips both the video and the menu system and will be a useful feature in certain situations.
The recorded images are not Flipped, just the screen image.

We have even more features expected in the next 30 to 60 days.

3D Option, this is an extra cost option that enables the recording of 3D, or non-3D, from two gen-locked cameras. Thus, one Gemini 4:4:4, with this option may be used to record a two camera shoot.

The list of 3D features is extensive. This feature is almost done; we just need to complete our project to record to two SSD's simultaneously.

ARRIRAW Option. Next week, we plan to send a Gemini 4:4:4, with our ARRIRAW Option, to ARRI, in Germany. We have already sent an ".ARI" file to ARRI. They have reported that our file is in the right format.

It is our expectation to have the ARRIRAW Option fully certified and available for Gemini 4:4:4 users in March (or earlier).

Addition features planned for our next release are:

Support for 1080p29.97, 1080p30
Support for 1080p50, 1080p59.94, and 1080p60
HD-SDI Record Trigger for ARRI, Canon, Red, and Sony
Remote Record Trigger
Recording to two SSD's simultaneously, thus creating two masters.

Here is the link to our Gemini 4:4:4 Firmware Update page:

Gemini 444 Firmware Updates | Convergent Design, Professional Video Recorders

A new Gemini 4:4:4 User Manual and Release notes are included with the firmware update.

And here is a link to our support page.

Support | Convergent Design

Please feel free to call me; my phone numbers are at the bottom of the above webpage.
Attached Thumbnails
Gemini 4:4:4 Production Level Firmware 1.0.594-convergent-design-product-images.jpg  
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Gemini 4:4:4 Production Level Firmware 1.0.594

Thanks for posting. In terms of workflow, how do you handle audio if you're transcoding directly thru Media Encoder?? Does the audio get processed with it (directly into, say, Cineform) or do you have to sync it up after in your NLE?
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Our Lab Manager knows more, but since the audio is recorded as a WAV file, one just copies over the WAV file, then places it on the timeline.

The DPX File Format does not support audio, so it has to be a separate file.
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,

Just registered and updated to 594. I have HDSDI out from an EX3 in1080p24 HQ. I see video on the monitor, but the video input indicates no video and therefore cannot record.

Thank you,

Brian
Old February 25th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Brian,

I will send you an email with my phone numbers so we can troubleshoot over the phone.
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,

The 23.98psf setting was the issue, thanks for the help. Will try and look at the first test video tomorrow. Got some interesting shots, a little windy, but not too bad. Ill post a link to vimeo when ready.

Brian
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Brian,

Thanks for the update.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Here's some test shots, it was an interesting day!

The gator shots I was shooting into the sun, so I had to pull the black level down quite a bit and then bring up the mids to see detail in the gator and the bird especially.
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Maybe it's a good thing to have an updated overview/list of the gemini's functions (and upcoming) and if they are implemented yet or when expected.
I think the website info doesn't give the status at this point of time.
Like an excel sheet or something.
Ron Aerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

I will ask our team to post a list of features.
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #11
Major Player

Dear Dan,
Is there still a chance I could obtain the paid 3d update ?
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:18 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Anmol,

I am checking, I will know in an hour or so.

Respectfully,
Old March 30th, 2016, 06:54 AM   #13
Major Player

Hi Dan. For dual 1080p60p recording would the Odyssey 7q with the free firmware Odyssey Firmware v2016.01 ?
Just checking that I wont have to pay extra if I buy the Odyssey 7q ?
Old March 30th, 2016, 11:05 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Re: Odyssey Dual Stream Recording at 1080p60

Dear Anmol,

Our next firmware release is scheduled to add the ability to record two (2) HD-SDI video streams up to 1080p60 simultaneously.

This feature will be part of our Raw Bundle. which is an extra cost option, and the price is $995 in US Dollars.

If one already has our Raw Bundle, then this new feature will be added for free.

If you do not have our Raw Bundle, then you can purchase our Raw Bundle and get the two (2) HD-SDI video stream support and the ability to work with a wide variety of Raw cameras.

--------------

In this feature, the Odyssey7Q or Odyssey7Q+ will write each video + audio streams to separate SSD's.

--------------

Please note that our Apollo Option, an extra cost option, ($1,795 US Dollars) is already available and with this option you can already record 2, 3, or 4 video streams at up to 1080p60.

The Apollo Option utilizes a different approach where all four video streams are recorded to one SSD.

Without going into all of the details at this time, our Apollo Option is more sophisticated than the two (2) HD-SDI video stream support.

For example, with the Apollo Option, we support recording a fifth channel which is either a Live Switch or Quad Split (provided that the inputs are not higher than 1080p30.)

Please feel free to call me so I can assist you personally.

Seven one nine ---- nine three zero ---- one three seven six (I am in the United States)

Respectfully,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey