Nano 50Mbps MXF & XDCAM Timecode Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 27th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Tourist

Nano 50Mbps MXF & XDCAM Timecode Problem

I appear to have a problem with the Nanoflash 50Mbps XDCAM MXF files and playback on a PDWHW-1500 XDCam Deck. After recording a production in the field, I copy the mxf files to a XDCam Disc, using either the XDCam transfer on the Mac or direct file copy on a PC, for playback in our control room. (Following these steps nanoFlash on a XDCAM Disc at DVinfo.net )The files play great, but the deck does not read any timecode off the files. The TC reader stays at 00:00:00:00. Control track counter works as expected.

If if view the files on a pc (with a pdw-u1) using XDCAM EX Clipbrowser, I have the same problem -- no timecode playback.

If I view the files using Sony XDCam Viewer the timecode is fine??? It appears there is timecode on the file, but the deck does not read it properly.

Any ideas?
Tom Loftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Nano 50Mbps MXF & XDCAM Timecode Problem

Dear Tom,

I hope one of our users will be able to help you with this timecode issue.

We do not have the PDWHW-1500 XDCam Deck in our lab, sorry.
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Tom,

I can't speak about the deck since I don't have one.

However, I pulled my U1 out today to check it with a new (PC) laptop, and figured I'd test to see whether there were any TC problems transferring from PC to U1.
Simply put, everything worked fine. Recorded MXF 50Mbps on NanoFlash, transferred file straight to U1 on PC (just using drag-and-drop to copy the files into the Clip folder on the disc). Correct timecode went across. Correct matching timecode also was visible on Proxy files which were created automatically. Played clips back both in XDcam Browser and in PDZ10 XDcam player. No problems.

One thought -- in the U1 drive software there is an option to NOT use the timecode from the original file, but to create continuous timecode on the disc. While this is not the default setting, if you've selected it then the timecode created on the disc should be different than your source time code.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks for the info Dave.

By any chance do you also have the XDCam EX Clipbrowser installed? I ask because I am able to see the timecode in the XDCam Viewer software, but not the Clipbrowser software. We usually use the Clipbrowser because it can preview both EX and XDCam files and we regularly use both.

Copying the files straight across on a PC results in the same timecode problem on the Deck and Clipbrowser (but XDCam Viewer has timecode).

When I get a chance, I do hope to experiment some more...
Tom Loftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Tom,
I uninstalled XDcam EX Clip Browser and moved to XDcam Browser 2.0 after the last firmware upgrade on my F3 required XDcam Browser for viewing/converting clips.
You can view your disc footage in XDcam Browser as well, and as I mentioned the time code came across and viewed in it just fine.
At first I was nervous about changing over because I hadn't been wild about XDcam Browser 1.0, but the 2.0 version addressed 95% of my issues with the earlier version.
If you want, you could post full tech specs from your recording (format, frame rate, etc.) and I'll try to take a look next time everything is hooked up (it's currently all in cases from a shoot yesterday / and for another shoot next week).
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey