Gemini 4:4:4 ARRIRAW Option at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 20th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Gemini 4:4:4 ARRIRAW Option

Dear Friends,

I would like to discuss our upcoming ARRIRAW Option for our Gemini 4:4:4.

Here are a few points:

1. Our ARRIRAW Option is a field installable firmware upgrade.
The Gemini 4:4:4 does not have to be sent back to us to add this firmware upgrade.

2. The ARRIRAW Option may be installed on any Gemini 4:4:4, one does not need a special Gemini 4:4:4 in order to install this firmware update.

3. One does not lose any of the functionality or features of the Gemini 4:4:4 when ARRIRAW is added.

One can enable ARRIRAW and it will operate as an ARRIRAW Recorder, with proper live monitoring capabilities, and playback capabilities.

Or one can turn off ARRIRAW in the menu and it operates as a regular Gemini 4:4:4.
Thus one can record full uncompressed from 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 camera sources.

And later this year (in the Fall), we will be releasing a free firmware upgrade that will enable compressed Avid DNxHD recording capabilities to the Gemini 4:4:4.

4. The existing Convergent Design SSD's will work in ARRIRAW mode.
One does not need to purchase new SSD's in order to record ARRIRAW, including when recording up to 60 frames per second.

Note: While in ARRIRAW mode, 60 frames per second is the speed limit, as this is the highest frame rate that is output from the ARRI ALEXA in ARRIRAW mode.

5. The Gemini 4:4:4 has built in HD-SDI / T-Link 3G support for our inputs, thus one does not have to perform a hardware upgrade in order to support ARRIRAW at 48, 50, 59.94 and 60 frames per second.

6. Our intial firmware upgrade will support ARRIRAW at 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 Frames per second.

Since it takes an extraordinary amount of time to test each frame rate (and manually check each and every frame of ".ARI" data), we are going to offer a Beta release including our 48, 50, 59.94 and 60 frame per second support to a very select group of beta testers.

This will allow other very qualified individuals or companies to test the higher speed recordings simultaneously while our lab is very throughly testing the files.

Then we will release a production level version so that everyone will be able to record in ARRIRAW at the higher frame rates. There will not be a long delay for 48, 50, 59.94 and 60 frames per second.

7. And most importantly, we are still on track to release our ARRIRAW Option by the end of March. In our opinion, the testing at ARRI is going great.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Gemini 4:4:4 ARRIRAW Option

Sounds terrific Dan, will recording to ARRIRAW be possible from any camera's HD-SDI port?
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

Our ARRIRAW Option is designed to record from the ARRI ALEXA, when it is setup in ARRIRAW mode.

We will be adding, later, the ability to record RAW from certain other video cameras that have RAW modes.

But, as I understood your question, if one has an HD-SDI output camera, one that does not have the ability to send the (essentially) raw sensor data output over the HD-SDI in RAW mode, as opposed to the usual HD-SDI output that can feed an HD-SDI monitor, then our ARRIRAW option will not work.

To put it another way, to record RAW, one needs a RAW mode build into the camera.

Examples are:

ARRI ALEXA
Weisscam
Lux Media Partners
IO Industries
IndieCam
and there may be more.

The following cameras do not have RAW Mode (examples only, not an extensive list)

Sony EX1/EX3
Sony F3
Panasonic HDX900
Panasonic AF100
Sony PMW-700
Sony PMS-F800
Sony F900

Please note that we expect more cameras to be introduced that support RAW.

Each new camera will be evaluated to determine if we can support it in RAW.

Some new cameras, may be able to be supported in the Gemini 4:4;4 with our ARRIRAW Option, as we want to include, in this option that is purchased (one time only) to support many cameras.

However, there will be some new cameras, that we will not be able to support in the Gemini 4:4:4 in RAW mode, mainly due to the resolution, and/or if the processing of the RAW requires more horsepower than is available within the Gemini 4:4:4.

We have lots of computing horsepower in the Gemini 4:4:4, but there is, as with everything, limits of what is possible with todays state-of-the-art technology.

So, please note that while we call our option the ARRIRAW Option, one will get the abiliity to record from some other RAW cameras at no extra cost as so as we enable each specific camera.

I hope this helps.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Major Player

It does, thanks for the clarification.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Trustee

I am confused because it seems that the Gemini cannot record true ARRIRAW which is 2880x1620 and 12bit and from what I have read, the Gemini can do a max of 1080p at 10bits. Am I missing something?
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

1920 x 1080 pixels, 10-Bits for each color, is the HD-SDI specification. Each Pixel has 10 bits for Red, 10-Bits for Blue, 10-Bits for Green.

When the Gemini 4:4;4 is in ARRIRAW Mode, it records individual photosites.

For the ARRI Alexa, in ARRIRAW Mode:

2880 is the number of photosites on one line,

one line has 1440 Red and 1440 Green
one line has 1440 Blue and 1440 Green

and there are a total of 1620 lines.

And each photosite is recorded in log mode, with no white balance applied in 12 bits.

So, to directly answer your question.

With our ARRIRAW mode we can do both.
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Trustee

That is awesome!

I have a new client who is getting together funding for some shorts and features and my partner and I are assembling a list of equipment for production and post. They originally wanted a couple Epics but we want 2 Alexas and I want to use something fast and east for recording but not too costly like Codex. My client keeps on drinking the R3D kool-aid; thus, he wants more than 1080p and ARRIRAW's 2880x1620 is enough to satisfy him.

Two quick questions:
1) what is the data rate for ARRIRAW and how many minutes can your 512GB drives record?

2) Can 2880x1620 be encoded to Pro Res 444, DNx444 and/or Cineform 444? I ask because its not a standard frame size so I don't know if these codecs support odd frame sizes.

Thanks.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

I am sorry for my delay in responding.

1. For ARRIRAW, at 24 frames per second, the data rate is 168 MBps (Megabytes per second).

With one 512 GB SSD, one can record for 50 minutes, or 100 minutes with two.

For 60 frames per second, the data rate is 420 MBps, with 20 minutes of recording time with one 512 GB SSD, and 40 minutes with two.

Please note that our Gemini 4:4:4 ARRIRAW Option will support up to 60 Frames per Second, which is the maximum frame rate that the ALEXA supports in ARRIRAW Mode. (Internally, to ProRes, it can support 120 fps, but this exceeds the capability of HD-SDI Dual 3G.)

2. One typically uses the ARRIRAW Converter to process the ".ARI" files.
I do not know all of the options available at this time, but one can obtain standard resultions through the debayer process.

I hope this helps.
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Regular Crew

ARRIRAW files must be transformed into a standard file format for conforming and color correction. The most commonly used format is SMPTE DPX (Digital Picture eXchange). With ARRIRAW Converter (ARC), ARRI provides a free software tool to view and convert ARRIRAW data into DPX files for postproduction.
Stewart Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #10
Trustee

Yes, but Premiere Pro CS6 supports ARRIRAW which is awesome and the only NLE slated to support it natively. I think SpeedGrade CS6 and After Effects also support it natively which makes the entire workflow perfect from edit & vfx to grading - NO wasted time converting and NO wasted drive space. With our planned feature, the 18TB raid array I will build is just enough for the ARRIRAW footage and all associated files like Media Cache, not to mention the integration between Premiere, AE and SG will save me several TB's of drive space (and time converting).
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #11
New Boot

So, generally speaking, if I understand Arri Raw recording with the Gemini 4:4:4:, a day on the set of a feature film shoot might go like this:
I shoot four, 1 minute scenes using four shots per scene at an average of 5 takes per shot. That’s 4x4x5 = 80min. Raw Footage for the day.
At a max of 50min. of 24fps Raw Footage per 512GB SSD drive, there would be more than enough space on two 512GB drives for the day’s shooting.
The Gemini 4:4:4: can be monitored on the camera by one of the ACs and the Raw footage dumped off that night and the SSD drives made ready for the next day.
At the same time, the Arri Alexa can also simultaneously record internally Pro Res to SXS cards which are swapped out during shooting and that footage is used for editing and dailies.
There’s no need for on-set transcoding as with the Red Camera. The Alexa doesn’t over heat like the Red, and isn’t noisy like the Red Epic, and is generally less of a pain to use.
Sounds like a dream come true!
Tell me if I'm wrong
Craig Tarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #12
Major Player

Craig -
My impression on your post...
You may want to look closely at your projections. I did a bunch of estimates before shooting a feature with the Gemini and an F3 last spring, and soon found that my three 512GB SSD's were nowhere near enough for the amount the director had us shooting, (the estimates had been based on features I had shot for him in the past in 35mm), even with a DIT downloading on set, so we ended up renting a bunch of extra SSDs. There is a definite tendency to 'keep rolling and reset to 1' -- eating up a lot of data when scenes have lengthy takes.
You may also need to examine your workflow in terms of whether you want to assign a 'look' to your dailies before they are edited. I believe with the Alexa you have the choice of recording to the SxS cards with a 709LUT or in Log-C. If you want to do a 'color corrected' version of dailies, you might record to Log-C on the cards, and then do a color correction pass on them pre-edit. That can be a lengthy render...
If you are happy with the 709 color out of the camera for editing then you won't need the intermediate color correction step.
Obviously the Gemini is a wonderful because not only does it record the uncompressed ArriRaw files, but also because its size and weight do not turn the Alexa into an even heavier beast.
My suggestion would be that you should have someone downloading and verifying data as you shoot -- don't wait for overnight to have the transfers done!
Also remember that you need to make at least TWO copies of the data, since you can't use the 709 recording as a backup (since you are losing much of the dynamic range of the camera when the LUT is applied.)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #13
New Boot

Dave – Thanks for your very detailed and informative post. What I’m doing at this point is developing a 90min. feature, with me as the director (no DP yet) and there’s lots of “what ifs” in regards to equipment, crew, etc. Quite a ways down the road.

Your suggestion about downloading and verifying data makes perfect sense. I was sold on the less expensive RED until I heard all the complaints about it and the Epic. Everything I’ve heard about the Alexa sounds simpler and more stable.

And assigning a 'look' to the SxS cards with a 709LUT or in Log-C also sounds like good advice and the extra SSD drives are also a good idea. Although my intention would be to keep my shooting ratio low, that of course, is often not what happens.

There’s also the question of a DIT, which I’m willing to hire, but after reading some posts by David Mullen A.S.C. on Red User.net, I’m wondering if someone else on the crew couldn’t download and verify data. He said that he always did extensive camera tests in pre-production establishing the “look” of the project and although he’d needed a DIT when he shot “Big Sur”, because they were doing on-set dailies, on other productions the DIT, didn’t have much to do. The TV series “Smash” that he’s working on now, which uses the Alexa, told him a DIT hadn’t been budgeted in. Of course I haven’t asked him who he’s using to offload and verify footage.

I’d appreciate your opinion on this and I was wondering if you or anyone you know has used Light Iron’s ToDailies App? TODAILIES | Light Iron It looks like dailies made simple, but I haven’t talked to anyone who’s used it.

Thanks again, I appreciate your input -
Craig
Craig Tarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Major Player

Craig -
You may not need a 'full-blown DIT' -- especially if you're not trying to do color correction on set. But you do need someone who can be fairly dedicated to the task at hand! On one low budget film I had an assistant editor do all the data downloading, which worked out great because he was able to organize it and get it ready for the editor, and even occasionally rough some scenes together for the director. Whoever you have doing the transfers, they've got to be organized!!!
In terms of multi-tasking, my feeling is that it's ok as long as the data responsibility takes precedence over any other tasks they may be assigned. If you have a full camera crew, the downloading can of course be done by the loader.
It might also be possible to combine the task with video assist (assuming you aren't stressing that position too much.)
Remember, you do want to have a setup that doesn't need to be constantly moving (because of the length of time it takes to transfer a 512SSD) and has a first rate UPS supply as part of the transfer cart. You don't want to be doing this in the back of a moving vehicle!
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #15
New Boot

Dave -
I was thinking that having the same guy do the transfer everyday would be best. If that can be an editor's assistant that would be great. Either way, this feature has few locations, so maybe a van parked just off set would be best. He could have his own little space to work in. It's amazing how many things you don't think of until you talk to someone who's done it, like the UPS power supply. It was not in my mind until you mentioned it. Like duhhh... of course you'd need that! Sometimes I think the human mind is naturally short-sighted. It's amazing movies get made at all.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for your advice, really helpful.
- Craig
Craig Tarry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey