NanoFlash pairing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 26th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Major Player

NanoFlash pairing?

Now that NAB is over I have this question. What camera(s) will best utilize the NanoFlash. I am looking for a large sensor camera. Cheaper is good but what I am really looking for is pairing. What camera will make the most of the NanoFlash with out being overkill. If price range will help then under 5,000.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: NanoFlash pairing?

AF100? The quality of the AF100 is really boosted by the nanoflash; I posted some links earlier about a TV news crew that use that combo, and a feature film called The Raid that used it to good effect (shown theatrically to rave reviews). The AF100 is pretty inexpensive for what it offers.

What is it for? Any camera with HD/SDI or HDMI out can be used with the nanoflash, from the venerable XLH1 up to the latest cameras like the C300.

I hear the new Nikon DSLR's have a clean HDMI but still waiting to see if anyone can verify they work with the nano....
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Major Player

I mostly shoot commercials but some theatrical stuff as well. I am using a Sony V1 right now.
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

* I did the test at NAB 2012 on the Nikon booth, and you may review the footage here at Nikon D800 to NanoFlash | Facebook

Stewart Chong
HK
Stewart Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

I have two reports that the nanoFlash can record from the new Nikon D800, but there is a problem.

We see a thin green line at the bottom of the images.

We are attempting to contact Nikon and our engineers will be looking into this.

However, since we routinely record from standard HDMI output cameras, and the 1920 x 1080 image is perfect, we do not really suspect the nanoFlash at this time.

Here is the report from one of our users:

"I also captured a frame internally and compared it with an identical frame captured on the nanoflash. What i notice is that the nanoflash footage is slightly offset vertically to the internal footage (if that makes sense) It seems that the green line is added to the bottom of the 1920x1080 frame and the actual footage is pushed up."

What we do not know at this time, is if the internal frame is accurately sent out the HDMI port or not.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Major Player

I was thinking about the Nikon D800 before NAB but, for the same money I can get the new Blackmagic Cam. Correct me if I am wrong but I would not need to use the NanoFlash with that cam. So are there any under 3,000 dollar large sensor cams that would benefit from the NanoFlash?
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

remember that the BM cam will eat gigabites of quite expesive disks...
Ron Aerts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey