DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Gemini 4:4:4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/507295-gemini-4-4-4-a.html)

Dan Keaton April 26th, 2012 10:11 AM

Gemini 4:4:4

Dear Friends,

At NAB, we introduced our next model in the Gemini family, the Gemini RAW.

This very high-end model is schduled for release in September, 2012. Gemini RAW will include support for recording ARRIRAW and Raw and non-Raw from a wide variety of cameras.

We created some confusion with this introduction.

Quite a few have been waiting on our ARRIRAW Option for the Gemini 4:4:4 and with our announcement of the Gemini RAW, felt that they had to purchase the Gemini RAW so that they could record ARRIRAW from an ARRI ALEXA.

To be clear, we expect our ARRIRAW Certification next week.

Then we will finish our firmware reliability testing, and then release our ARRIRAW Option for the Gemini 4:4:4. One does not need to wait for the Gemini RAW.

The next firmware that we will release, scheduled in two to three weeks time, will include the ARRIRAW Option and many other very important new features and functions.

ARRIRAW will be available, in demo mode, in this release. In demo mode, there will be a watermark in the image, but this will allow anyone with a Gemini 4:4:4 to test the new ARRIRAW Option with their Alexa. This allows one to prove that it will work for them, before investing in the ARRIRAW Option.

Then, if they wish to remove the watermark, the ARRIRAW Option may be purchased from any Gemini 4:4:4 dealer. The US Price for this option is $2,995.

Please note that the ARRIRAW Option supports up to 60 frames per second. The hardware support for Dual 3G Inputs are built into each and every Gemini 4:4:4, thus one does not need to purchase additional hardware to support 60 frames per second.

To record over 30 frames per second in ARRIRAW Mode, one needs to have two of our SSD's inserted in the Gemini 4:4:4 as we will be using both simultaneously.

To be clear, any Gemini 4:4:4 with the ARRIRAW Option, will be able to record 23.976 (23.98), 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 48, 50, 59.94 an 60 frames per second.

The ARRIRAW Option will work with any Gemini 4:4:4, regardless of when it was built, and this is just a firmware upgrade and keyword activation of the ARRIRAW Option. The unit does not need to be sent back to us to install ARRIRAW.

Please note that the ARRI ALEXA can record 120 frames per second, but this is limited to internal recording. 120 frames per second is too fast for the dual 3G link that sends ARRIRAW to an external recorder. Thus, 60 frames per second is the fastest that can be recorded in ARRIRAW from any external recorder.

Also, please note that the image quality of the ".ARI" files that we produce will be 100% identical to that of any other ARRI Certified ARRIRAW recorder.

And, of course, there are significant reasons to want to record in ARRIRAW, one is that the image quality is better than recording in-camera and another is that ARRIAW is ideal for archiving, and ARRIRAW is the best way to ensure the long-term financial viability of a project, over recording in-camera.

Also with the new firmware, in non-ARRIRAW Mode, say from a Sony F3 or similar camera, we can record,1080p23.976 (23.98), 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, and 60. In this case, 1080p29.97 and above requires two SSD's.

One new function, of the next firmware release is to be able to trigger the Gemini 4:4:4 via a signal from many cameras and not rely on triggering on incrementing timecode.

This allows one to easily trigger the Gemini 4:4:4 to record, while using countinously running timecode in the camera. Previously one needed to use Record Run timecode to trigger the Gemini 4:4:4 from the camera.

Achim Viander April 29th, 2012 10:46 AM

Re: Gemini 4:4:4

Hello Dan,

I am waiting for the 1080/50p firmware for my three Units since March. I am glad to hear that it is comming in two or three weeks. Hope it realy. What's about a wire remote Control for Record/stop?
How does it work with Simultaneous Recording ? Did i need a special Software to combined the Dpx Files?

Dan Keaton April 29th, 2012 02:07 PM

Dear Achim,

I am happy to answer your questions.

1. Yes, we fully expect to release 1080p50 (and all of the other frame rates in my previous post) within three weeks.

We have 1080p50 (and others) working in our lab.

We have been testing these higher frame rates for some time now.

The testing program is very significant. We have 32 Gemini 4:4:4's running almost around the clock.

Then we feed all of them one of the frame rates/options and record until the SSD's fill up. Overnight, we loop record so that we fill up the SSD's, then start over.

Then we examine each and every frame two ways.

One way is with a program to ensure that the DPX file headers are sequential (and no frame is missing). The other way is to visually examine each frame.

2. We expect to make an announcement about our ARRIRAW very soon, so stay tuned.

This is important since our next fimware release will include support for ARRIRAW.

3. We locked the feature set which will be included in our next firmware release some time ago.
I am sorry, but with this next firmware release, our wired Remote Control will not be activated.
If we make a change, then we have to restart the testing program.

This will be included in a future firmware release.

4. By Simultaneous Recording, do you mean recording to two SSD's simultaneously, which we do for the higher frame rates (above 25 frames per second)?

If so, one just transfers the contents of one SSD to a specific folder on your computer, then transfer the second SSD to the same folder.

The filenames are such that the files will appear in the directory in logical frame by frame order.

5. Thus, no, you do not need any special software since any software that handles DPX files should be able to properly work with the files.

I hope this helps.

Achim Viander April 30th, 2012 12:55 AM

Sound' s fine.
If you are Interestet i could test the new firmware in our Production. Wie need the 50p for our action shooting.maybit could help you a bit.

Dan Keaton April 30th, 2012 06:04 AM

Dear Achim,

Thank you for your offer.

I will check with our team.

Achim Viander May 11th, 2012 09:56 AM

Hello Dan,

Something News about the Firmware Update 1080/50p ?..

Tanks Achim

Achim Viander May 22nd, 2012 05:49 AM

Hello Dan,

Did you and your Team thought about my offer about testing the 1080/50p Upgrade?? We do a Lot of Car action explosions at our shootings. Could be interesting for you?
We use the Gemini for our SinaCam action Crash Boxes. Together with ARRI Alexa as main Camera. The Gemini is really nice in handling. Later wie also would use the Gemini for our Alexa plus and Alexa M cameras.

Let me know if you are interested for testing the new Firmware at our shootings. Also about the Upgrade is comming Out.

Tanks.

Dan Keaton May 22nd, 2012 06:32 AM

Dear Achim,

I have sent you a private message.

We expect to release our new firmware any day now.

Achim Viander July 19th, 2012 12:06 PM

Hello Dan,

When did you Release a Gemini Firmware Update with Play Control buttons forward and backward. To scroll in the Clip. Would help much at Set. And also a wired record switch.
We did a lot shoots with the Update in 1080/50p and wie Love it. Great Gear.

Tanks Achim

Dan Keaton July 19th, 2012 02:15 PM

Dear Achim,

We are in our first steps to inplement playback controls.

Our next firmware release will have Play/Pause controls.

A later release will have forward and backward.

We are also working on the wired remote control.