DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Codec Error (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/507675-codec-error.html)

Mike Bailey May 9th, 2012 07:02 PM

Codec Error

On a job out of town and on the second day of shooting, our nanoflash displays "codec error." It worked flawlessly the first day and no settings have changed. I have swapped out my cards and reset the nanoflash but still get the error.

John Richard May 10th, 2012 06:38 AM

Re: Codec Error

Are you sure you don't have some kind of mismatch between what the camera is outputting and what the Nano is set to accept?

Dan Keaton May 10th, 2012 08:09 AM

Dear Mike,

Based on previous experience, I assume that you are shooting on a Sony FS100.

And you have the HDMI output set to 1080p, please set it to 1080i.

While this is completely counter-intuitive, the 1080p setting outputs 1080p60 over HDMI which is too much data for the nanoFlash, resulting in the codec error.

When you set this to 1080i, you will actually be outputing PSF (and not interlaced).
(PSF is Progressive Segmented Frames, which looks like interlaced to monitors, but it is not.)

Thus, you should use the proper settings in the Video Menu.

For 1080p29.97 and 1080p30, set the camera accordingly, then
please set Video|Record PSF>Prog

The same applies for 1080p25.

For 1080p23.976 and 1080p24, set the camera accordingly, then
please set Video|3:2 Pulldown Removal.

If you want 1080i50, 1080i59.94 or 1080i60, set the camera accordingly,
then uncheck the above menu items.

John Richard May 11th, 2012 07:30 AM

Dan:

I think a lot of us would really appreciate the posting of download files that are sorted by camera.

Those setup profiles could then be loaded onto compact flash cards to correctly set up the NanoFlash or XDR. It would take away a lot of the trial and error and confusion.

I know, I know ... read the darn manual.

Dan Keaton May 11th, 2012 08:03 AM

Dear John,

Good Morning!

This is really a camera setup issue as we don't support 1080p60 in the nanoFlash.
We will in the Gemini 4:4:4, from HD-SDI, starting next week with our new firmware release.

But, we could create setup files for:

1080p25,29.97 and 1080p30
1080p23.976/24 when the camera is outputting 23.976 (23.98)/24 without pulldown
1080p23.976/24 with pulldown (so we would enable 3:2 pulldown removal)
1080i50, 59.94, 60
720p23.976/24 without pulldown
720p23.976/24 with pulldown
720p25, 29.97, 30
720p50, 59.94, 60

John, I think you have a good idea.

Mike Bailey May 11th, 2012 08:28 AM

The camera is a JVC Gy-Hm700.

NOTHING had changed on settings from the first day to the second day of shooting. The camera was set at 1081i 60 (.mov) feeding the nano via SDI and the nanoflash what recording it just fine. The second day we received the "codec error.

Dan Keaton May 11th, 2012 09:20 AM

Dear Mike,

Thank you for the additional information.

I have never seen a "Codec Error" message in any case other than when the nanoFlash was sent a frame rate higher than 1080p30.

Could you please call our Support Team, and we can trouble shoot this with you?

(I am leaving on a trip right now and will be out of touch for a while.)

Please see all of the phone numbers at the bottom on this page.

Support | Convergent Design

John Richard May 12th, 2012 07:48 AM

Dan - those downloadable setup files would be awesome!

Mike - one other thing to try is swapping out cables - sometimes they go wonky and cause problems - had that happen myself.
But by all means, call CD Support - they are wonderful. CD is the most responsive manufacturer we have ever dealt with - they truly take action that tells you that they know their customers are the boss. You won't be dissatisfied.

Dan Keaton May 13th, 2012 08:15 AM

Dear Mike,

You may call me today at my 719 number.

All of our support numbers are listed at the bottom of this page:

Support | Convergent Design

Richard Corfield May 15th, 2012 06:04 AM

I’m too am having problems with "codec error", but in my case it is with trying to record SD PAL in some configurations onto my Nanoflash.

My goal is to take 1080/50i files previously recorded with the Nanoflash (from a Sony EX3) and convert them using my Matrox MXO2LE to SD PAL. Viewed on my HDMI monitor (HDMI-out set on the Matrox to SD channel) those SD files look clean and crisp. An excellent down convert.

I tried connecting the matrox to the Nanoflash via HDMI, but the Nano refuses to recognize the incoming signal. The Nanoflash read-out (on the bottom line of the display) says “no SRC” and “codec errors” on the top line. But if I switch the Matrox video out to HD, then the Nanoflash happily recognizes the incoming video as 1080i.

So I tried recording that SD stream onto the Nanoflash using an SDI connection instead. This time the Nanoflash accepted the SD stream but the resulting files looked soft. About as soft as exporting those HD files from an FCP timeline as prores PAL. Not particularly good.

So my two questions are

1. Why does the SD-SDI stream when recorded onto the Nanoflash look soft?
2. Why won’t the Nanoflash recognize the HDMI SD stream?

I should add that I normally output SD-SDI from the ex3 and record direct onto the Nano using an SDI connection and the results are fine.

Macbook pro 15””
Mac OS X 10.7.4
FCP 7.0.3
Matrox MXO2LE Firmware version 34.0, software 2.3.3.0016

Samer Aslan May 15th, 2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Corfield (Post 1733382)
I’m too am having problems with "codec error", but in my case it is with trying to record SD PAL in some configurations onto my Nanoflash.

2. Why won’t the Nanoflash recognize the HDMI SD stream?

still waiting for an answer here... i hope it will be OK with the next promised after NAB firmware,look here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...1-6-248-a.html

Richard Corfield May 15th, 2012 09:58 PM

Ah, I'm not alone!

Thank you, Samer, for the link to the thread. I am on firmware 1.6.248. So all is now explained. i'll try a different firmware when i get the chance, and keep in touch with developments.

Jack Zhang May 16th, 2012 12:26 AM

I believe there is a limit of 3 firmware upgrades per unit. If you go beyond that, you're then officially stuck to that firmware unless you send it into Convergent.

Richard Corfield May 17th, 2012 01:25 AM

Oh dear! Well, I decided anyway to return the firmware to vers 1.6.29 as Samer's link suggested. That's my second update. One to go!

This time the Nanoflash did recognise my SD signal from the Matrox. But only if i set the HDMI out in the Matrox preferences to YUV. Wouldn't recognise RGB native for some reason. I made a recording but all the colours were back to front, and something weird happened with the sound. But I could see enough to confirm that there was the same softening of the image as when I recorded via SDI.

But I would like to know why the Nanoflash appears to soften the image when recording Standard Definition.

Dan Keaton May 17th, 2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1733519)
I believe there is a limit of 3 firmware upgrades per unit. If you go beyond that, you're then officially stuck to that firmware unless you send it into Convergent.

Dear Friends,

I have been traveling so I am late in responding.

There is no limit on the number of times one may update the firmware in the nanoFlash.

And you may go directly from any firmware version to any other firmware version. One can install a previous firmware version, if desired.