DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Does the nanoFlash do cross conversion to HDMI out? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/508995-does-nanoflash-do-cross-conversion-hdmi-out.html)

Andrew Stone July 3rd, 2012 02:53 PM

Does the nanoFlash do cross conversion to HDMI out?

First time I have tried this but with no success..

Using HD-SDI input and taking an HDMI out to the monitor. Does the nanoFlash do cross conversion from HD-SDI to HDMI?

Dan Keaton July 3rd, 2012 03:00 PM

Re: Does the nanoFlash do cross conversion to HDMI out?

Dear Andrew,

Yes.

If the input to the nanoFlash is either HD-SDI or HDMI, then both outputs are active simultaneously.

But, HDMI has certain frame rate limitations.

For example, one may have to have 3:2 Pulldown added to work with certain HDMI Monitors.

Please note that one can enable E to E Direct, Menu Item: Video|E to E Direct (checked).

This allows one to accept a 1080p24 signal, with 3:2 Pulldown, so it can go out to an HDMI Monitor, and one can set other options, such as Video|3:2 Pulldown Removal so that the nanoFlash records pure 1080p24 all the while sending out 1080p24 over 60 (with 3:2 pulldown) to the HDMI Monitor.

Andrew Stone August 4th, 2012 09:07 AM

For those tripping on this thread in the future... I discovered my problem was a bad HDMI cable. It worked perfectly once I swapped the cable.

Dan Keaton August 4th, 2012 09:08 AM

Dear Andrew,

Thank you very much for posting the resolution to the problem.

Piotr Wozniacki August 5th, 2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stone (Post 1741432)
First time I have tried this but with no success..

Using HD-SDI input and taking an HDMI out to the monitor. Does the nanoFlash do cross conversion from HD-SDI to HDMI?

This works OK with my EX1->HD-SDI->nanoFlash->HDMI->Marshall monitor (or Zacuto EVF).

One thing to remember though: with this connection, there is no recording indicator (red bar at the bottom) visible in the HDMI monitor (or EVF, for that matter). Quite unfortunate, actually :(

John Mitchell August 8th, 2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1747023)
One thing to remember though: with this connection, there is no recording indicator (red bar at the bottom) visible in the HDMI monitor (or EVF, for that matter). Quite unfortunate, actually :(

Well you have to send a clean signal to the Nano to record - plenty of cameras would have the option to overlay info on the SDI output but it would make your Nano recording useless.

Piotr Wozniacki August 9th, 2012 12:41 AM

John, I mean the nF's own recording indicator; this one is superimposed on nF output but only works with HD-SDI input...

Dave Sperling August 14th, 2012 11:29 AM

Piotr -
I think that if you check the 'E-to-E direct' box on the Nano menu that the Record Indicator Bar shows properly. I have an HDMI client monitor and the red bar shows them when I'm recording (and I'm feeding the NanoFlash from an HD-SDI output on the camera.)

Piotr Wozniacki August 14th, 2012 11:35 AM

This is why I said explicitly "only works with HD-SDI input...".

Meaning, that when the nano is recording from the camera's HDMI out, there is NO recording indicator bar.

Dave Sperling August 14th, 2012 11:37 AM

Sorry, my confusion ...