HD-SDI vs HDMI at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 26th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Major Player

HD-SDI vs HDMI

With regards to the nanoflash (or even other recorders), what are the advantages or disadvantages to recording from the HD-SDI output rather than the HDMI output of a camcorder ? I am familiar with the data rate of HD-SDI, but have no idea what the HDMI output looks like.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: HD-SDI vs HDMI

The advantage of SDI is the locking connector and that most of the pro gear can be plugged in.

In most every other aspect - from bandwidth to features - HDMI blows SDI out of the water.

Frank
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Timecode is not standard with HDMI :-( You can run HDSDi up to 100m with good quality cables, not that you'd normally put a recorder that far away. HDMI tends to exhibit more lag and signal delay than HDSDi.
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Trustee

It depends on what you're doing. I love HDSDI and our switcher and capture computer are well over 100' away from any camera in our studio, but there have been no issues even up to 300 ft. A BNC with two wires (shield and conductor) either works or not and carries component digital video, multi track audio (16 vs HDMI's 8 channels) and timecode.

If the coax cable does not work or is intermittent, I can cut the end off and put a new BNC on it in under 5 minutes. Try that with HDMI.

HDMI copper cable length goes 50' (some claim 100 ft.) with heavy duty cables, but then you've got a thick cable, that can produce a lot of torque, inserted into a weak - sometimes motherboard-mounted connector with lots of pins. Lots of people have had their gear's HDMI's connectors go bad and their shoot shot. The HDMI connector is not locking - really bad. Did I mention how many pins are inside there that may be needed to pass signal or you've got a problem? 19 or even as many as 29! One word - yuck.

If the HDMI connector gets mangled, that expensive thick cable is close to toast because very few want to take on the horrid task of re-connectorizing it - not me brothers.

Don't get me wrong. HDMI is great for a lot of stuff, and 1.4 can carry 4K,
but imo, I would avoid it if possible for use on set.

As always, YMMV.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey