DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   new Lexar 128 GB cards (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/509982-new-lexar-128-gb-cards.html)

Gints Klimanis August 13th, 2012 03:59 PM

new Lexar 128 GB cards

nanoFlash nano3D | Media | Convergent Design, Professional Video Recorders

Have the Lexar 1000x's been tested with Nanoflash? Prices have dropped dramatically this year.

Lexar 128GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 1000x UDMA
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841569-REG/Lexar_LCF128CTBNA1000_128GB_CompactFlash_Memory_Card.html

Stewart Chong August 13th, 2012 08:39 PM

Re: new Lexar 128 GB cards

It's time to double the 280Mb/s to 560Mb/s on Nanoflash or even uncompressed for some frame rates in HD format too ;-)

Gints Klimanis August 15th, 2012 11:24 PM

After mishaps with Transcend SDHC, I'm only comfortable buying top tier flash cards. If Sandisk has been disqualified for continuous performance, I suppose I'll have to be OK with Lexar. The last thing I want to do is buy a consumer grade flash such as Delkin, but I'm not sure if they are different from Delkin.

Dan Keaton August 16th, 2012 07:24 AM

Dear Gints,

We have not yet tested the Lexar 128 GB 1000x card.

You commented on Delkin, so I thought I would add some information.

We have a close relationship with Delkin.

Many CompactFlash card manufacturers, out of necessity and other reasons, change the internal components (chips) in their cards over time.

Delkin works very closely with us and does not change their components without first testing the new cards in a nanoFlash, and also alerting us.

They have a nanoFlash in their factory, just for this purpose.

And they are responsive if there is ever a problem with a card.

I hope this helps.

Gints Klimanis August 16th, 2012 04:41 PM

Dan, that's re-assuring that you have qualified a supplier such as Delkin.

What will be the flash card capacity limit per slot for the Nanoflash?

Dan Keaton August 16th, 2012 04:48 PM

Dear Gints,

One CompactFlash card specification, limits the capacity at 137 GB.

And a later specification has a higher limit.

We have heard of 256 GB CompactFlash cards, but have not tested them.

With two 128 GB CompactFlash cards, the nanoFlash can record at 50 Mbps, which is Broadcast Origination Quality, for around 10 hours and 40 minutes, or 5 hours and 20 minutes at 100 Mbps.

I do not know what we would have to do to support 256 GB CompactFlash cards, maybe nothing.

We were prepared for 64 GB and 128 GB cards so we did not have to do anything when these cards came out.

Gints Klimanis August 16th, 2012 11:11 PM

Thanks, Dan. I'm looking forward to the day when I can comfortably record a 3-4 hour sports event with flash cards at I-Frame 280 Mbps . My current setup is two 32 Gbyte cards at 50 Mbps , which only gets my to 160 minutes. Two 128 GByte cards offer 120 Minutes at 280 Mbps.

Jim Bridges August 17th, 2012 06:39 AM

Hello everyone.
I have purchased 2 Delkin 64GB CF cards recently and they work great.
I plan on getting more in the future. Zero failures.
As far a top tier cards go, I really like Sandisk( I have 15 older cards), but if CD will not recommend them, that's good enough for me.
Great insight on Delkin having a Nano, now if only Sandisk...

Dan Keaton August 21st, 2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis (Post 1748798)
I'm looking forward to the day when I can comfortably record a 3-4 hour sports event with flash cards at I-Frame 280 Mbps.

Dear Gints,

I assume that you are aware that you can hot-swap the CompactFlash cards in the nanoFlash.

Just be advised that each card that you insert into the nanoFlash must have already been formatted in the nanoFlash.

Gints Klimanis August 21st, 2012 01:03 PM

Dan, Hot Swap is appreciated. My current two 32 GByte cards are rather small for 280 Mbps, so the hot-swapping makes the shooting rather stressful without an assistant. So, I just use them for 50 Mbps, and, strangely enough, my EX1 is the backup recorder. My EX1 has two 32 GByte SDHC cards (in adapter) to cover 4 hours at 35 MBps/second. That's why I'm eyeing the dual 128 GB cards for the start of next year.