DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   C100 + Nanoflash? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/511683-c100-nanoflash.html)

Bob Drummond October 25th, 2012 11:00 AM

C100 + Nanoflash?

I know there's been a lot of talk of the C300 and nanoflash, but I'm very interested in pairing the upcoming C100 with a nanoflash.

According to someone at the recent Canon event in Hollywood, the HDMI out of the C100 is exactly the same as the SDI out of the C300 (as presumable the HDMI out of the C300). I wonder if someone from Convergent Design could speak to how well the two would work together? I assume nanoflash could remove the pulldown and record 24p natively? Also, will the C100 be able to trigger the nanoflash to start and stop recording?

Dan Keaton November 1st, 2012 07:54 AM

Re: C100 + Nanoflash?

Dear Bob,

I am sorry for the delay in responding.

I have been traveling and swamped overall.

Yes, the nanoFlash should work well with the C100.

It is our intention to implement code in the nanoFlash so that C100/C300/C500 and other cameras can trigger the nanoFlash for recording.

We have this same code implemented in the C300 and C500 now, via the HD-SDI Trigger Packet which is sent over HD-SDI (obviously).

It is nice to hear that Canon is repoting that the signal coming out of the HDMI of the C100 is exactly the same as the signal coming out of the HD-SDI from the C300.

But, of course, we have to prove that the Trigger Packet is still there.

If it is, then we will add this feature to the nanoFlash.

If it is not present, then we will have to implement timecode detection, if possible.

I hope this helps.

Al Yeung November 4th, 2012 06:26 PM

Bill I wouldn't count on it. the firmware upgrade to do the same for the sony fs100 has been "pending" for a year and convergent design has simply stopped responding to queries about it.

Dan Keaton November 4th, 2012 10:03 PM

Dear Al,

I have been traveling on Business for a while, and then on vacation for a short while.

I will attempt to catch up with the threads.

Roger Pinto November 5th, 2012 09:23 AM

C300 + nanoFLSH test has been waiting for eternity as now ... lets stop hoping any ... any kind of development from CD !!!

Al Yeung November 5th, 2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1762192)
Dear Al,

I have been traveling on Business for a while, and then on vacation for a short while.

I will attempt to catch up with the threads.

Not to bash you Dan. As far as I can tell, you and other CD staff have been very diligent in keeping with user requests and admirably responsive. I understand that as a small company your resources are limited and have to be directed at the endeavors that maximize immediate profits (e.g. the Geminis). That means the nanoflash FS100 hdmi-trigger firmware update is a low priority, so low that it probably won't ever be strategic for CD to implement.

I just wish you guys would just come out and admit that's the sad truth so we can all move on, rather than deferring with the "we're working on it asap."

That said, probably we users should just get the message in the silence and move on.

Fletcher Yeung December 8th, 2012 04:08 PM

Hi,

I just finished a camera test using 3cams. One was the C100 and the nano flash....it works but you have to be diligent to make sure that you trigger the record button on and off each time. I did run into a problem with an error message saying "card too slow" a few times, and had to reset the nano flash to get rid of the error and to record again...

You can see the three cams here:

Al Yeung December 8th, 2012 04:53 PM

Hi Fletcher I've been following your videos about the c100. Thank you for them.

I think the lack of timecode trigger via hdmi on the C100 is a fatal flaw. Are you starting and stopping by pressing the buttons on the nanoflash itself? Or did you get a remote trigger? http://www.nanoflash.net/remote_control__time_code

The "card too slow" error you've brought up is interesting, but it is unrelated to the C100 right isn't it? What kind of CF cards are you using?

Fletcher Yeung December 9th, 2012 03:03 AM

Hi Al,

We aren't related are we??!! HAHA!! Just kidding....
I've been setting the nanoflash to rec trigger, and doing it manually, hoping that it'll be firmware fixed soon. I usually use it on my XDCAM via SDI so I don't really do manual that often until now.
I think the "card error" is having to do with the HDMI from the C100 from time to time. I'm using 90mbs Sandisk Extreme Pros (the black with gold stripes), and never had a problem via my XDCAM, just when I used it on this project. I've tested it out on location before hand and didn't have this problem, but I didn't leave it on for several hours at a time..... Will have to monitor it for future projects, but it was a pain...especially when you get everyone ready for a take, press rec, then "card error"!! Then have to unplug to reboot.....Like I said, it only happened a few times (3-4x's) if I remember correctly for the whole day.

Thomas Diehl February 16th, 2013 02:51 PM

When will the promissed upgrade for the c100 come?
I dont want to buy a ninja!
Please

Thomas Diehl June 7th, 2013 04:28 AM

Is there still hope for a c100-update? - triggering the nano flash manually is no option for me ...