Camera recording to SD will Nanoflash record HD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 29th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Trustee

Camera recording to SD will Nanoflash record HD?

I have to record an event in SD with my PMW-320. What I'm wondering is, if the camera records in SD mode to SXS Cards will my NanoFlash record to CF cards in HD mode via the SDI cable?

Thanks in advance.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Camera recording to SD will Nanoflash record HD?

That's really a question about the camera - when you're recording in SD, what signal is present at the SDI output? Sorry, I don't know the answer about the PMW320, different cameras do this differently, but whatever is there is what the Nanoflash can record.
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The outputs are limited to SD in SD mode. A solution if you want to future proof the raw footage in HD could be to use a MRC1K to record SD from the i.link output of the camera to CF cards (should you choose DVCAM in the i.link output select) and record HD in camera to SxS.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Use the NanoFlash to record the SD stream from your SDI and record DH in camera on SxS - at least that's what I do with my Sony PMW-350, I'm assuming that they are basically the same.
Old November 30th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks everyone.
Old October 30th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan Dadswell View Post
Use the NanoFlash to record the SD stream from your SDI and record DH in camera on SxS - at least that's what I do with my Sony PMW-350, I'm assuming that they are basically the same.
Could someone tell me please how to set the NF to record in SD.
I would like my camera to record HD to SxS cards but need to send an SD output to a video sender.
I'm hoping that by changing the NF to SD that this might work....will it :)

Thanks in advance.
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Could someone tell me please how to set the NF to record in SD.
I would like my camera to record HD to SxS cards but need to send an SD output to a video sender.
I'm hoping that by changing the NF to SD that this might work....will it :)

Thanks in advance.
Question for Dan, when he gets the chance.
Old November 5th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #8
Wrangler

The Nanoflash records HD-SDI and SD-SDI, which are digital signals. Most cameras will output HD-SDI in HD mode and downconvert to analog composite (also known as CVBS), which the Nanoflash will not record.
Old November 5th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

The nanoFlash will record SD, when the camera outputs SDI (SD-SDI).

The nanoFlash automatically detects that it is SD, either PAL or NTSC and then records appropriately.

You will see PAL or NTSC on the Frame Rate Display, the highlighted line at the bottom of the nanoFlash.

You do not have to make any menu selections, the nanoFlash will automatically detect that the incoming signal is SD, but, you can set the SD Bit Rate in the video menu.

30, 40 and 50 are IMX 30, 40 and 50, respectively.

Respectfully,
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #10
Trustee

Thank you Charles and Dan.

I wanted my camera to record in HD and thought if the NF could record/output to SD,
This would be just what I needed, the best of both worlds, but for some reason it didn't work for me but not to worry now.

I had a video sender connected to the NF and it needed an SD signal in order for it to display to a big screen, hence NF set to SD

Dan, I did notice the NF display showing Pal so I assumed it was recording in SD.

Don't know what I did or did not do but it didn't work for me.

Thank again for your help.
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Anthony,

We provide support 24/7, so you can call us whenever a problem arises or before.

If the nanoFlash was showing PAL, then, when if it is recording, it will be recording PAL.

How were you triggering the nanoFlash?

If you were triggering via timecode, then this may have been the problem, if the nanoFlash did not go into record.

In HD, timecode is a standard feature of HD-SDI.

In SD, many cameras do not output timecode over SDI.

Could you elaborate on what did not work for you?

1. Did the nanoFlash not go into record mode automatically?

2. Did the nanoFlash not output SD over the HD/SD SDI output?

3. Did the nanoFlash not output SD over HDMI? (The nanoFlash does not output SD over HDMI)
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #12
Trustee

Hello Dan,

I have my NF set to record/stop at the same time I press the record button on my camera.

What I meant was that the video sender did not output a signal to the big screen even though it was connect, as I thought to do so, via the NF in SD mode.

Question 2, yes, that is correct.

I had another PMW-320 on stand by to connect the same video sender to, if it didn't work for me via the NF.
The 2nd camera was set to SD. I took a video out from the camera to the video sender then video out from the receiver to the big screen, this worked for me.

Question 2 again, perhaps it wouldn't have work for me in the first place. My camera is a PMW-320 BTW

Thanks in advance Dan.
Old November 7th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hello Dan,

I have my NF set to record/stop at the same time I press the record button on my camera.
That would mean that you were triggering on incrementing timecode.

This will work, if the camera outputs timecode when in HD-SDI or SD-SDI mode.

Since you were in SD, timecode may or may not have been coming over the SD-SDI signal.

Quote:
What I meant was that the video sender did not output a signal to the big screen even though it was connect, as I thought to do so, via the NF in SD mode.
Do you mean via SD-SDI or HDMI? I assume that it was SD-SDI since you answered Yes to Question 2.

Did you have Video|E to E Direct on?

SD over HDMI is not supported in the nanoFlash, but it may have worked if E to E Direct was on, and it was a frame rate and mode supported by the projector.

SD over SD-SDI should have worked, if E to E Direct was on, and may have worked if E to E Direct was off, depending on the frame rate/mode and other settings, [/quote]

Quote:

I had another PMW-320 on stand by to connect the same video sender to, if it didn't work for me via the NF.
The 2nd camera was set to SD. I took a video out from the camera to the video sender then video out from the receiver to the big screen, this worked for me.

Question 2 again, perhaps it wouldn't have work for me in the first place. My camera is a PMW-320 BTW

Thanks in advance Dan.
Old November 8th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #14
Contributor

Quote:
Hello Dan,

Thanks in advance Dan.
Anthony - you have to set this up in camera. Set your camera to record in HD then set the SDI output to downconvert to SD (usually squeeze for 16x9) - the nano should then recognise the SD signal automatically.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
Anthony - you have to set this up in camera. Set your camera to record in HD then set the SDI output to downconvert to SD (usually squeeze for 16x9) - the nano should then recognise the SD signal automatically.
Hello John and thanks.
OK, I will have a look at the SDI output setting in my PMW-320.

Thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey