DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   make Nano files exact same as EX3, metadata and all? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/512996-make-nano-files-exact-same-ex3-metadata-all.html)

Scott Stoneback December 28th, 2012 02:24 PM

make Nano files exact same as EX3, metadata and all?

Without my Nano and HDX900, or an EX3, with me right now... a client is asking that when I record with the Nano that the files look exactly like a native EX3's file... exactly.

I will setup the Nano to record 35mbit/sec, 1080, 29.97, Drop Frame, MXF (I am about 90% sure that the EX3 records files as MXF).

My question is two part:
- Is there anything that will show up in the metadata that tips people off that this was recorded onto a NanoFlash?
- Is there any tricky setting for the Nano that I need to pay attention to?

I am going to run a test tomorrow, but I don't have an EX3 or EX3 file handy to compare it with.

They know all the good stuff about the Nano, it isn't a question about the Nano's capabilities as much as it is their client being spooked by anything that isn't an exact match. Codecs aside, if the end client thinks that it was shot on something other than an EX3 than they are going to be unhappy. If I can't make it look exact, than I will have to rent an EX3... which I want to avoid for many reasons!

Cheers,
Scott

Dave Sperling December 28th, 2012 03:02 PM

Re: make Nano files exact same as EX3, metadata and all?

If they demand an EX3 recording then you will need to give them that.
The EX3 natively records to a BPAV file structure, which is different than the MXF files recorded by the NanoFlash.
The NanoFlash won't have all the same metadata coming off the camera that is recorded by the EX3. If they look at the metadata from an EX3 they can see all kinds of info about the camera, lens and exposure settings. You won't have all this available from the NanoFlash.
That said, the files recorded on the NanoFlash are the same (or better than, depending on bit rate) as the ones recorded internally by an EX3.
Often when a clients asks for a specific camera it is because they have an 'in house setting' - in terms of gammas and color matrix - that they want matched - and will supply you with a card or files to do so. If this is the case, just go with their request.
If this is a stand-alone shoot, then talk to them about what you would like to use.. And offer to send them a small test clip.
Just don't try to trick them because it won't work.

Scott Stoneback December 31st, 2012 12:29 AM

Re: make Nano files exact same as EX3, metadata and all?

Thanks for the info, it is helpful.

Client is not looking to paint the cameras, etc. with cards. They literally just want the files to be the same due to some sort of contractual agreements that have nothing to do with real-life tech specs. It is what it is, I am talking with client to see if the example files provided will be sufficient.

Yes, I am aware that they might need me to rent a specific camera, but no, I am not trying to pull a fast one on anyone. Clients are aware of the situation.