DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   NanoFash and Gopro Hero3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/515643-nanofash-gopro-hero3.html)

Lance Librandi April 6th, 2013 08:47 PM

NanoFash and Gopro Hero3

Hello I am have some problems getting my Gopro Hero3 to work with my Nanoflash.
I have set the Gopro for 1080 FPS 25 Pal but when I connect to the Nanoflash via HDMI I get nothing.
List below are the settings of my Nanoflash if anyone has idea's it would be appericated.
TIA

Firmware=1.6.248
2013 04 07
13:09:59
/System/Max File Size : 100%
/System/File : File=1175001.MOV
/System/Trigger : Record button
/System/Duration : OFF,0
/System/Timecode/Source : Embedded
/System/Timecode/Dropframe : OFF
/System/Timecode/Seed : TOD OFF,00:00:00:00
/System/Timecode/Trigger Delay : 0
/System/Source : SDI
/System/Prebuffer : ON
/System/Power Saving/Auto Sleep : OFF
/System/Power Saving/Auto LCD Off : OFF
/Video/Bit Rate/CF HD Rate : QtMxf=50,Mpg=35,Working=50
/Video/Bit Rate/CF SD Rate : QtMxf=50,Mpg=9Working=50
/Video/CODEC : Long Gop
/Video/Record PSF>Prog : OFF
/Video/Play Prog>PSF : ON
/Video/Remove 3:2 Pulldown : OFF
/Video/720p 60/50>30/25 : OFF
/Video/SD Aspect Ratio : 16:9
/Video/E to E Direct : OFF
/Video/T-Lapse : OFF,period=1
/Video/Crank : OFF,Base=24,Crank=24
/Video/HDMI Rx color : full range
/Video/35 Mb 1080 Width : 1920
/Video/Screen Tally : OFFOFF
/Video/Flip V : OFF
/Video/Flop H : OFF
/Audio/In : Embedded
/Audio/Analog Settings/Mix In : Stereo Unbal
/Audio/Analog Settings/Gain In : 0.0
/Audio/Analog Settings/Gain Out : 3
/Audio/Record Channels : 2
/Audio/Monitor Channels : 1&2
/Loop Play : ON
/CuePlay : OFF,00:00:00:00
/Loop Record : OFF

Ron Aerts April 7th, 2013 01:08 AM

Re: NanoFash and Gopro Hero3

I don't know if this works, but give it a try

rec progressive ON
timecode source INT
system source HDMI
advise HD bitrate CF 100
audio in EMBEDDED (if it has to come from the gopro mic

Lance Librandi April 7th, 2013 06:02 AM

Thanks for the reply Ron, I have just tried the suggested settings and the Nano Flash reports "Awaiting Source" it's almost like HDCP is applied to the signal. If that's the case I fail to understand why GoPro would apply HDCP to the camera?

When I plug the HDMI from the camera to a television or monitor I have picture and sound it's only when I use the NanoFlash that I have this issue.

It's got me buggered.

Ron Evans April 7th, 2013 07:38 AM

I cannot find the post now but I think the GoPRo HDMI is fixed at some setting whatever the record settings of the GoPro.

I see there is new firmware too but I haven't updated my Black edition yet.

Ron Evans

Jack Zhang April 7th, 2013 05:02 PM

Do remember that the current firmware has a video black kill switch bug for the HDMI ports. The SDI ports are not affected by this, so try again with a HDMI to HD-SDI converter in the middle (not practical, but worth a shot.)

Ron Evans April 7th, 2013 07:24 PM

I found the post on the DVX forum and it appears that the Hero 3 fixes HDMI output at 1920x1080 60p whatever the record format is set at. Maybe for PAL its 50P

Ron Evans

Lance Librandi April 10th, 2013 01:21 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I have tried the Black Magic and Connect 2 HDMI to SDI converters but they also will not sync with the Hero3,
Ron thanks for the info on the HDMI output at 1920x1080 60p whatever the record format is set at I was not aware that the output was preset, this gives me a few ideas.
If find a solution to this I will add back this post.

Cheers

Jack Zhang February 25th, 2015 05:52 AM

Apologies for bumping this thread after 2 years, but since I was ready to rig a recently acquired GoPro Hero 3 Black with my Nanoflash soon, I needed to do my research.

Turns out the GoPro will send proper 720p50/720p60 if you set the camera's frame rate to 720p100/720p120. This seems to be the one compatible with the most HDMI to SDI converters. The only exception where everything just works is the Datavideo DAC-70 since it has an internal scaler. However, that being said, the Hero 4 will NOT work on this same principal of 720p100/720p120 on anything but the Datavideo. It's a completely new beast.

To the OP's question, even if you're setting the frame rate to 1080p25, the output is still 1080p50. Not all converters will accept this. Atomos' converters can convert to 3G-SDI, but even it has problems with the GoPro's 1080p50/1080p60.

If you do not have a Datavideo on hand and you desperately need to properly convert 1080p50 or 1080p60 from the GoPro, or if you want it to send 1080i instead, you will need an EDID emulator and a lot of trial and error if you are converting to SDI.

Going direct to some (not all) HDMI capture sources may also be a hit and miss, sometimes the GoPro will send proper 1080i, and sometimes it'll send 1080p instead. An EDID Emulator may remedy this situation through trial and error too.

Footnote: The NanoFlash only accepts to a max of 1080i. If it tries to read 1080p50/1080p60, it will say "CODEC ERROR."

Edit: With an Micro HDMI cable in hand, I have successfully connected the GoPro (latest firmware update as if Feb 2015) to the Nanoflash. By default the GoPro will choose the best available resolution to output it's menu system and OSD. Since the Intensity Pro's known max is 1080i, I decided to pass the GoPro through that. It works. NanoFlash receives the signal, Intensity receives the signal. Keeping in mind the Intensity has to be previewing the video at all times. (If you use OBS, this is simple to do)

There's a reason 720p120 works for SDI converters. If you set 720p60, the HDMI is still outputting 1080p60 to a converter. Your quality dramatically drops in 720p120 so I don't think it's worth the trouble. The Datavideo seems to be the best solution or passing it through the Intensity Pro is another solution. For all other converters, the EDID solution may be worth a shot.

There's also a reason why 1080p24 and 1080p48 works. It's actually outputting 1080p24 out the HDMI which the converters can convert to SDI.

To recap, here's what I found for Resolution->HDMI for the GoPro Hero 3 through my Intensity Pro:

WVGA: 720p60
720p60: Highest available resolution via EDID
720p120: 720p60
1080p24: 1080p24
1080p30: Highest available resolution via EDID
1080p48: 1080p24 (handy for 180 degree shutter in low light)
1080p60: Highest available resolution via EDID
<1080p60: Highest available resolution via EDID
Photo mode: Highest available resolution via EDID
Menus/Clip Playback: Highest available resolution via EDID
(note, anything in 2.7K, both cine and standard, will cause weird motion strobing artifacts over HDMI if the maximum EDID resolution is 1080i. 2.7K works fine in 1080p60 connected directly to a monitor or the Datavideo)

Anything labeled "Highest available resolution via EDID" will not work on a standard HDMI to HD-SDI converter or the HDMI in directly on the NanoFlash. This is backed up by the support article on GoPro's site about the Hero 4's HDMI output (where likely all of the resolutions are "Highest available resolution via EDID") http://gopro.com/support/articles/he...ut-information

GoPro also supports using "HDMI Detectives" (AKA EDID emulators) to feed proper HDMI to HD-SDI converters. http://gopro.com/support/articles/hdmi-detectives

Jack Zhang February 26th, 2015 08:10 PM

Since my post ran out of editing time, I can confirm through a Twitter conversation that the Odyssey 7Q+ will accept Hero 3, Hero 3+, and Hero 4 HDMI outputs and convert that to SDI.

If the HDMI source can be assigned in the Odyssey's 4 camera switcher option, this is a good replacement for an ATEM that is GoPro compatible and doubles as a RAW recorder.