Sony R5 vs Odyssey 7Q at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony R5 vs Odyssey 7Q

Has anyone found a good head to head comparison for both of these devices? I am just curious what the R5 offers at the higher price point that the 7Q lacks. There must be a table out there somewhere? Surely Sony would not have licensed technology to Convergent Design that would allow them to be undercut by the deal. What am I missing?
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Sony R5 vs Odyssey 7Q

From my understanding, the 7Q will have neither 4K RAW nor 4K 60fps. I'm sure there are other differences, but those are the two biggest I've seen recently.

To me, the 7Q still looks like a steal in comparison.

Last edited by Alan Brazzell; April 24th, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
Alan Brazzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

4K uncompressed should be enough for my needs. Interesting that it won't do 4K 60p. I agree that the 7Q seems to be a fantastic option overall though. Hopefully they can adhere to the July shipping estimate.
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Just a couple of wild guesses, but I have a feeling that the fact that the R5 is built to integrate straight onto the F5/F55 cameras makes for a nice, compact package. Obviously we won't really know anything until the Odyssy7q's are shipping, but if my experience with the Gemini is any indication, I'm guessing that the R5 will not only record full metadata but do frame-accurate start/stops with the SxS proxies, while the Odyssey may not integrate as seamlessly into the system. I have no doubt that the 7/ 7Q will be terrific values (I can definitely see myself getting a 7Q) -- but I'm betting that the R5 will integrate more seamlessly from both production and workflow standpoints, at least with the F5 and F55. Remember, the Odyssey is being positioned as a monitor that also happens to record, so we may be playing a wait-and-see game when it comes to the various potential recording codecs.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey