I don't understand these costs for 2K raw with the Odyssey - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 29th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: I don't understand these costs for 2K raw with the Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
Dan,
Would I be right to assume that if you record 240fps continuous on the Odyssey7Q it will be possible to play it back off the 7Q in full res at slo-mo speed? - thereby allowing selected sections to be transferred to another recording device such as a NanoFlash?
Yes, you will be able to set the "Project Frame Rate", so that you can control the playback speed, and this also sets the frame rate for playback in a Non-Linear Editor.

Thus, you can setup to record FS700 2K 12-Bit Linear Raw at 240 fps, and set the Project Frame Rate in the Odyssey7Q, and the playback will be at 24 fps.

Quote:
You may recall I did this type of thing with great success recording 1080p60 from the F3 to the Gemini, then playing selected clips back at 24p (2.5x slo-mo) and recording them onto my NanoFlash.

(My client didn't want to deal with the large quantity of original data that we created with the Gemini - and our selective transfers meant he went into the edit room with what he needed, not all the extra footage he didn't want.

Project worked out great. He even added some software-based slowing down in post for some of the shots)

Will different base playback speeds be possible (60p / 30p / 24p) for footage recorded at 120 or 240, or is the target playback rate burned in as part of the file header?
Yes, we will setup desirable Project Frame Rates.

We have also had requests to be able to control playback frame rates, as desired before and during playback, without changing the Project Frame Rate", for playing back for the director.

And we have been asked to playback in reverse also.

Respectfully,
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #32
Major Player

Thanks Dan,
Reverse sounds particularly cool (and useful)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
In either scenario, we will have a pre-record (cache) buffer of around 8 seconds, but only while recording in compressed mode, which is limited to 60fps.
Do I understand well that you are talking about a pre-record in the Odyssey and not about the high framerate buffer of the FS700?

I think you should really make a spec sheet of the several options for the different cameras. It is becoming too complex for me.
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Dear Cees,

We will come out with a more comprehensive spec sheet as soon as we can prepare one.

So, here are some answers.

The Odyssey7 and Odyssey7 will have a built-in Pre-Record Buffer when recording using a compressed codec. This is limited to a short time, in seconds, depending on the frame rate.

The original FS700 camera, and I assume the upgraded FS700 have a built-in Pre-Record Buffer which is used with the original High-Speed modes. This is limited to a short time, in seconds, depending on the frame rate.

And when using these modes, our FS700 Recording Option is not needed, but you are limited by the camera's Pre-Record Buffer size. And my best guess, is that if you want to use the built-in high-speed modes of the original camera, then the Odyssey7Q Pre-Record Buffer will not normally be used.

-------------------------------------

When using an upgraded FS700 Camera, the High Speed Output can be continuous for an unlimited amount of time.

And the Odyssey7Q with the FS700 Recording Option can record the FS700's 2K Raw, in 12-Bit, in Cinema DNG, at 240 fps, up to the maximum recording time on the SSD's.

Using two 240 GB SSD's, at 240 fps, this is around 10 minutes.
Using two 480 GB SSD's, at 240 fps, this is around 20 minutes.
Using two 960 GB SSD's, at 240 fps, this is around 40 minutes.

If one records at 240 fps, and plays back at 24 fps, then the playback time is 10 times the recording time, so one can have up to 400 minutes of playback time.

If one wants to record at 120 fps, then only one SSD will be necessary.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey