I don't understand these costs for 2K raw with the Odyssey at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 9th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #1
New Boot

I don't understand these costs for 2K raw with the Odyssey

I need help understanding how the Odyssey 7Q works with the FS700.

1. I understand that we will have to wait for Sony to upgrade the camera, there may or may not be a cost involved.

2. We have to then buy the 7Q [], and an Odyssey/Convergent Design branded SSD. [ for 240GB] in order to use the free DNxHD codec.

3. This part confuses me. We then have to pay another for FS700 support? Does it not record 2K raw out the box?

It is said that if you buy a Odyssey SSD, you get free Avid DNxHD recording, but the FS700 does Cinema DNG. Could someone please clarify this for me?

With all that said, does this mean that the final costs to record 2k will be:

Sony Upgrade [$ Unknown] + Odyssey 7Q [] + SSD [] + FS700 support [] which totals to ? If not, please clarify
Yash Bagwandeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: I don't understand these costs for 2K raw with the Odyssey

if you just want to record 2k with DNXHD, get a blackmagic shuttle 2, it is only 350$ and you can use regular SSD (while from a limited brand and model).
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Major Player

But then be aware you can only record at a maximum of 30 fps, so it won't be able to capture the Super Slomo of the FS700. For that you need a recording option of 60 fps.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi - I am Mike Wattley, Sales Manager at Symbiosis, the EMEA Distributor for Convergent Design. Basically you buy the Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q, which includes the DNxHD recording capability at no extra cost, you do need to buy an SSD to use this feature. You can then add an extra Codec, for example support for the FS700, this is done via the Convergent Design website (this can be purchased, or you can rent it on a daily basis).

The costs will be confirmed shortly, but you would need:

Odyssey 7Q
SSD(s)
FS700 Support (the Sony upgrade & FS700 support are one in the same)
Mike Wattley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Mike. Someone told me that with a 7Q and Convergent Design SSD, you can record 2K compressed, but paying for FS700 support will get you 2K RAW
Yash Bagwandeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Inner Circle

This model has the potential to be a PR disaster seeing how much confusion has been generated even before the first one has shipped.

I hope everyone ordering one understands what options are needed for their application and their costs to get a functional system.

I strongly recommend CD offer ONLY "Packages" based around the different cameras they will support. Selling this thing a la cart is going to be trouble.
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Wrangler

CD announced codec pricing today.

FS700 RAW codec: Purchase: $1495 Rental: $75/day
includes HD/2K Raw up to 240fps (.dng format) and Quad HD/4K YCC Uncompressed up to 30fps (.dpx format) for the Sony FS700 (the HXR-IF5 interface module is not required).

http://ci34.actonsoftware.com/acton/...reparedMessage
Old May 19th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees van Kempen View Post
But then be aware you can only record at a maximum of 30 fps, so it won't be able to capture the Super Slomo of the FS700. For that you need a recording option of 60 fps.
Hi Cees-
We upped the CODEC performance on the base model to 60fps to support super slowmo capture off the FS700. Yes, you need an extra cost recording option for 120 and 240 fps, but you can record uninterrupted with the Odyssey7Q (OK, it's limited to 30 minutes of 2K @240fps using two 960GB cards).

Mike Schell
Convergent Design
Old May 19th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
This model has the potential to be a PR disaster seeing how much confusion has been generated even before the first one has shipped.

I hope everyone ordering one understands what options are needed for their application and their costs to get a functional system.

I strongly recommend CD offer ONLY "Packages" based around the different cameras they will support. Selling this thing a la cart is going to be trouble.
Hi Chris-
The record options are tied (as much as possible) to specific cameras: ARRIRAW, Canon C500, FS700, 2K Raw, etc. Each CODEC package supports all the capabilities in a given camera. The C500 package includes 4K Raw (up to 60fps), 4K Half-Raw (up to 120fps), HD/2K RGB 444 10/12-bit etc. The uncompressed and quad-stream recording option are not camera specific, since they support good old 1920x1080 HD video.
Old May 19th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Convergent Design

Hi Yash-
The Odyssey7Q ($2295) includes DNxHD up to 60fps. We're hoping to add a second popular CODEC in the near future. If you want to record 2K/4K Raw from the FS700, you need to add this recording option (via a web-based purchase) for $1495 (unrestricted license) or rent for $75 per day.

The SSD pricing is 240GB = $595, 480GB = $1195, 960GB = $2195. You will need at least two 240GB SSDs to support 2K RAW @ 240fps, which at over 700MB/sec must be stripped over two drives (RAID0).
Old May 20th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Major Player

So, to get full functionality of the device with an FS700, you'll actually need to buy TWO Convergent Design SSD drives, not just one, right?
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Darling View Post
So, to get full functionality of the device with an FS700, you'll actually need to buy TWO Convergent Design SSD drives, not just one, right?
This is exactly what I'm talking Mike Schell. It seems simpler to those on the inside. Things need to be put together as packages with EVERYTHING that is needed to get a functional system going.
Old May 20th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
This is exactly what I'm talking Mike Schell. It seems simpler to those on the inside. Things need to be put together as packages with EVERYTHING that is needed to get a functional system going.
Yes, if you want to record FS700 2K RAW at 240fps (which is over 700MB/sec), then you need at least two SSDs. They can both be 240GB in size. On the other hand, you only need one SSD for 120fps.

We're putting together a comprehensive chart to show all the various configurations.
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Major Player

On one hand the concept is really simple, on the other hand the options make it very complicated.
Add 'fast readers' to it and it gets even worse than this...

A short video or even better: an 'explainimation' could help getting the info across to the filmmaking crowd.
If you need any help with that.... ;-)
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Brokx View Post
On one hand the concept is really simple, on the other hand the options make it very complicated.
Add 'fast readers' to it and it gets even worse than this...

A short video or even better: an 'explainimation' could help getting the info across to the filmmaking crowd.
If you need any help with that.... ;-)
Hi Walter-
Thanks for the feedback. We are trying to rearrange the recording options based on specific cameras. So, we'll have an ARRI Alexa, Sony FS700, Sony F3, Canon C300, Canon C500,etc packages. Basically each package will enable all the functions of a given camera, to the extend they are supported by the Odyssey. For example the Canon C500 will include 4K/QHD Raw, 2K/HD RGB 444 @ 10/12-bit, etc.

Do you think this would clarify the issue?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey