Odyssey7Q - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 13th, 2013, 03:41 AM   #16
New Boot

Re: Odyssey7Q

One question about the Odyssey 7Q and the fs700:

If I record from the HDSDI port to f.e a Gemini, I have the 8 bit Output limitation to f.e. 1080 60p.
thats up to now.
If I now use the 7Q with (or without?) the FS 700 option, will the 1080 60p recording be calculated within the 7Q, using the Raw stream, and then recorded as a propper 10 bit 1080 p 60 file?

Thanks for the reply!
Steffen Sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen Sailer View Post
One question about the Odyssey 7Q and the fs700:

If I record from the HDSDI port to f.e a Gemini, I have the 8 bit Output limitation to f.e. 1080 60p.
thats up to now.
If I now use the 7Q with (or without?) the FS 700 option, will the 1080 60p recording be calculated within the 7Q, using the Raw stream, and then recorded as a propper 10 bit 1080 p 60 file?

Thanks for the reply!
Dear Steffen,

We intend to take the 4K Raw stream from the FS700, which is 12-Bits Linear, then process this to obtain HD, up to 1080p60, and record it to a compressed codec, in either 4:2:2 10-Bits, or 4:4:4 RGB in 12-Bits.

We will use Log encoding, if desired, to get the maximum benefits of the original 12-Bits, when in a 10-Bit recording mode.

Due to the amount of work involved in implementing this, testing it, and perfecting it, these modes will not be in our initial firmware release, but added later.

In the mean time, we will support recording 2K Raw, and other modes, including the HD output over HD-SDI or HDMI, but this is limited to 8-Bits.

This does require our Sony FS700 Option, which is $795.

Respectfully,
Old September 13th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees van Kempen View Post
They announced DNxHD on the Gemini in February 2012, to be deliverd in the 3rd quarter of last year. So I suppose they should actually deliver that as well....(?)
Dear Cees,

Yes, we are very late with our DNxHD for the Gemini 4:4:4.

We were very busy implementing DNxHD, then last year we were asked to support a new camera from a major camera manufacturer. This cause us to put this project on hold.

We are working hard to get our Odyssey7Q shipped.

Then we will add the completed and tested compressed codec to the Gemini 4:4:4.

The Gemini 4:4:4 and Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q use similar code bases, so some of the work that we are doing on the Odyssey7Q can benefit the Gemini 4:4:4.

I used the word "some", since we have to be able to fit the feature, such as the codec, into the Gemini 4:4:4's code space.

We will add a compressed codec to the Gemini 4:4:4, for free.

Respectfully,
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kenfield View Post
Unless you particularly want to be able to record uncompressed, or intend to use the 7Q with other specific cameras, you may want to consider saving yourself a fair bit of money and just opting for the Odyssey 7.

It will offer the same compressed recording options as the 7Q, including 60p and 4:4:4 eventually (i.e. the highest output the F3 is capable of), and if you're not intending to update your F3 any time soon.

I think the likelihood of NEEDING an external recorder is going to be far less of an issue with the next generation of high-end digital cinema cameras (they're a lot more likely to have high-quality internal recording options).
Dear Mark,

There are advantages of the Odyssey7Q over the Odyssey7, even if one just considers compressed recording.

The Odyssey7 will support a compressed codec, up to 1080p60, in 10-Bit, in 4:2:2.

The Odyssey7Q will support a compressed codec, up to 1080p120, in 10-bit in 4:2:2.

And the Odyssey7Q will support a compressed codec, up to 1080p60, in 10 and 12-Bit, in RGB 4:4:4.

Then the Odyssey7Q, without any extra cost options will record in DPX, full uncompressed, if desired.

And the Odyssey7Q adds Multi-Stream Monitoring (Quad Split) and 4-Channel Live Switching.

Of course there are many extra cost options for the Odyssey7Q that are not available in the Odyssey7.

The reason for these differences is that the Odyssey7Q has 2.5 times the amount of code space (logic space) than the Odyssey7, as such, we can do more in the Odyssey7Q, and it has to cost more.

The Odyssey7Q will have Onion Skinning and the Odyssey7 will not.

The Odyssey7Q will also support (in the future) user loadable custom LUT's.

-------------------

In reference to you last question, it is likely that some cameras will support internal recording.

For some cameras, this can be predicted.

For other cameras, there are many problems, such as heat and power consumption.

Our products are very versatile, offering many modes and options that even cameras that have incorporated internal recording do not offer.

Then, our current products, the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q are in the form factor and weight of a typical 7 to 8" on-camera monitor. In fact, we weigh less than many professional monitors.

Thus, an on-camera monitor, in the popular 7" to 8" diagonal size, will probably never be incorporated into a camera. And our products can be used with many cameras, thus making them a good investment.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Old September 16th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #20
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Steffen,

We intend to take the 4K Raw stream from the FS700, which is 12-Bits Linear, then process this to obtain HD, up to 1080p60, and record it to a compressed codec, in either 4:2:2 10-Bits, or 4:4:4 RGB in 12-Bits.

We will use Log encoding, if desired, to get the maximum benefits of the original 12-Bits, when in a 10-Bit recording mode.,
Well that's good news..

Quote:
Due to the amount of work involved in implementing this, testing it, and perfecting it, these modes will not be in our initial firmware release, but added later.

Respectfully,
Dan I think if CD is going to deliver a product with some missing/unimplemented features they need to clearly state a schedule and a cost (if any) and stick to that commitment. If you say 3 months or 12 months and come vaguely within hitting those marks then everyone is happy.. if you say "later" some users will have an expectation of 2 months, some might be happy with 12 - most won't be happy with 24 months.. the point is - your bound to let down some customers IMO.

On the other hand I would hate it if you didn't have the freedom to come on these forums and tell us what goodies are in the pipeline so I realise it's a juggling act. Hopefully there is a nice balance somewhere..
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Dear John,

We have been working on a Product Development Road Map, for over a week now,

We want this to be complete, understandable, and accurate.

As soon as we have it ready, we will publish it.

This document lists what we expect to have ready in our firmware, with the initial shipments.

Then the features that we expect to have in our second, third, and fourth firmware releases.

Many features, require other features, or other tasks to be completed first.

For example, we may or may not have our Color Vectorscope ready for the initial firmware release.

We have Waveform Monitor, Histogram, Zebra, False Color, Sony S-Log-2 LUT, ARRIRAW Option, ARRI Log-C LUT's, Canon C500 Option, Sony FS700 Option (2K Recording up to 240 fps), HD Recording to DPX (Full Uncompressed).

We also have the Magnesium Cases ready, so all production units will have these wonderful, lightweight, strong, Magnesium Cases. I measured my Odyssey7Q with the new case, and it weighed 556 grams, or 1.23 pounds, and a little more with two SSD's installed.

Please stay tuned, as we are continuing to work on this document.

I will be traveling for the next week, so please understand when I have times when I can't respond quickly.

Respectfully,
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #22
Tourist

Quote:
Dear Mark,

There are advantages of the Odyssey7Q over the Odyssey7, even if one just considers compressed recording.

The Odyssey7 will support a compressed codec, up to 1080p60, in 10-Bit, in 4:2:2.

The Odyssey7Q will support a compressed codec, up to 1080p120, in 10-bit in 4:2:2.

And the Odyssey7Q will support a compressed codec, up to 1080p60, in 10 and 12-Bit, in RGB 4:4:4.

<snip>
With respect to the recorder's ability to record 1080p120 10-bit 4:2:2, is this only for the F5 or is there a way of achieving this frame rate with an F3? The idea is to have 5x slo-mo, or 120fps playing back at 24fps.

Thanks,
Dan.
Dan Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #23
Inner Circle

The F3 maxes out at 60fps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey