anyone tried 12v battery and nanoflash? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 24th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #1
New Boot

anyone tried 12v battery and nanoflash?

I was wondering if anyone tried to direct wire a 12v battery supply to the nanoflash. I am on a very limited budget and need more battery life. I see there is available a car adapter, but is it possible to strip down the wires with a hirose connector on one end and connect just the two "hot" pins to the battery, ignoring the other two? I need a battery that lasts for long hours on remote location, recording overnight in cold weather while I am not around (hence a fair-sized 12v battery). Perhaps that would not work, but I have this old useless battery lying around.....
Thanks for any help.
Brad Bulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: anyone tried 12v battery and nanoflash?

Yes, I have tried it but not with an 'old useless battery'. Make sure you have the correct polarity!
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the reply and I assumed it worked? Sorry for the confusion, but the old useless battery is what is providing my hirose connection and wires (that way I don't have to solder those fine little contacts).
Old July 25th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Brad,

Your assumption is correct - it works. If I have a device that comes with a dedicated power supply and lead as does the nanoFlash I usually fit the lead with a plug and socket. Having done that I can either plug the lead back into the original power source or any other suitable source fitted with the same socket. In the case of the nanoFlash this saves buying and soldering a Hirose connector.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for your help. Indeed, I splice together the wires from pins 1 & 2 and then 3 & 4 and hooked right to my battery. Works fine and now I have a huge power source available. Just wish I could do something this easy with my Ninja now.
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #6
Contributor

I had a D-Tap to Hirose made up - very handy...
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #7
Wrangler

Hirose connectors are cheap (around $10-12) and pretty easy to solder--I'm not the best at the process but I have cables around that I made 20 years ago and they are holding up fine.

Convergent Design makes Hirose to P-tap cables as well as Hirose to bare end cables, incidentally, at a very reasonable $70 and $50 respectively.
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Major Player

Just make sure you label them immediately. Remember, Sound Devices uses same connector, but with opposite polarity! Mixing them up could be seriously bad.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey