EX3 screen information in files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 18th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #1
New Boot

EX3 screen information in files

I just started using the EX3 with nanoflash after a 2-1/2 year absence. When I bought the camera (upgrade from ex1) in march 2010 I purchased a nanoflash and had the person who I bought it from to set it up for me. they were also using an ex3 and were very helpful.

I edited in 2010 & Now with adobe premier. now CS6. The question is why am I getting the screen image from the EX3 in the files?

I spent the afternoon reading the entire nanoflash manual and looking at the choices and I saw nothing that would make a difference. This information is NOT on any of the files from the SXS cards. I understand different format. using .mov on the nanoflash. I have updated the firmware on he nano.

How do you get this information off the file. I sure do not want to show a movie with that information on it. If this is he only way I have no use for the thing. I just know all you people are not having this problem or you would like the files either. What am I doing wrong?
Ray OBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: EX3 screen information in files

You've got the YPbPr/SDI Out Display setting to output the viewfinder display info. You need to turn it off. See page 120 in the operation manual.

Menu/Video Set/YPbPR/SDI Out Display/Off.
Old August 18th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #3
New Boot

if that fixes it. thanks will check tomorrow. thanks again
Old August 18th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #4
New Boot

well as you already know that did take care of the problem. too bad every thing I have ever taken had that. good thing I also kept the SXS files. Just vacation no big deal. some really good whale pictures but I have them in 2 formats. Thanks again. I bet I enjoy the files much more!!!!!!!!!!!

someone mentioned that you did not have to also record on the SXS cards. However when a SXS card is NOT IN it will NOT record. not a problem I like to have them as a backup and I also backup on a nexto DI and a computer hard drive. But do you happen to know if there is a setting that is keeping it from recording without the SXS cards in. I watch the nanoflash to see if it is recording and nothing, put in a SXS card push record both SXS and nano record.

thanks for all your help.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Convergent Design

Hi Ray-
I don't think there is any way to trigger the nano (or any recorder) without media in the camera. The only exception I know of is the ARRI Alexa, which has a specific menu option to trigger external recorders without an internal SxS card present.

That said, it's always best to dual record, just in case problems arise downstream.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Major Player

Seems to me that if you want to record only to Nano (not to SxS cards) just use the record button on the Nano to trigger it. It's not as though you're trying to match time codes at that point since you're no longer recording a second set of files on the SxS...
Recording separately like that does have one advantage -- it doesn't stop if you run out of SxS cards.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

...and is the only way to use the nano with HDMII-out-only cams.
Old August 26th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #8
New Boot

thank all of you for your replies. I will keep using the SXS. since I am new to video. I make a lot of mistakes so just touching the record button on the nano and then going back and forth is an advanced option. It is as some one said a good idea to use the back up of having the SXS cards in the camera.

One question I do have is why would anyone want to the the SDI out to show the Viewfinder. that is what prompted me to write the first message. and it solved the problem by turning it off. who would want it on?
Old August 26th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray OBryan View Post
One question I do have is why would anyone want to the the SDI out to show the Viewfinder. that is what prompted me to write the first message. and it solved the problem by turning it off. who would want it on?
If you're feeding a larger monitor that will be your primary method to view/monitor what you are capturing you would want to have the information shown. The viewfinder can give you a lot of useful information such as histogram, center exposure, whether you're recording, safe areas, framing marks, etc. A lot of time people don't use the SDI out for recording to an external device.

I do with there was a way to feed an external monitor with viewfinder info and at the same time send to an external recorder such as the nanoFlash. For me, I run the SDI out to the NF then from the NF to my monitor. I don't see the viewfinder info on my monitor so I'm constantly scanning back and forth between my external monitor and the viewfinder on my EX3.
Old August 26th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #10
New Boot

Garrett:

thanks for the information I understand. Why would you not use the monitor out on the right side of the EX3? I have never used it (do not use external monitor) but isn't that what that is for ? if not why does it say monitor out? what would you use it for?

I find it interesting you go out of the NF to the monitor. I guess it makes sense that way you are seeing what the NF is actually recording!

thanks for the information you provide.
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #11
New Boot

Garrett:

I actually went and read the ex 3 manual and now I know why you did not use the monitor out SD only. and have 3 cables for the component video & audio.The good thing is I went and looked it up. Have a fun weekend.
Ray OBryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey