Odyssey 7Q Multistream recording mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 19th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Contributor

Odyssey 7Q Multistream recording mode?

The product page is very sparse on this one - it does mention live switching and record 4 streams of HD (though it doesn't say in what modes).Some questions occur>>

Does the recorder re-clock the signals so they sync?
How does one live switch - is it via an Android device or something?
What does live switching mean? Just switching monitoring? I take it you would need another recorder to record the switched output?
Would there be noticeable lag?
Could you take three HD sources and record a switched output to a 4th stream?

I'm guessing that many of these features are yet to be implemented and that's why there is little detail but I can see it be handy for a number of applications, particularly multicam live events.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Odyssey 7Q Multistream recording mode?

Dear John,

I was traveling last week (again), with very little time to post.

I am sorry for my delay in responding.

Our Multi-Stream Recording is not implemented yet.

It is scheduled for release in Q1 2013.

This should not be confused with our Multi-Stream Monitoring (Quad-Split Monitoring) which is working now in our pre-release firmware.

At this time, one can take up to four HD-SDI 1080 inputs and see the four individual video streams on the monitor in Quad-Split fashion.

The four inputs do not need to be gen-locked. and they do not need to be the same frame rate either.

This Quad-Split display can also be sent out one HD-SDI output (and maybe out HDMI also).

As far as I know, we do not have our 4-Channel Live switching supported in our pre-release firmware yet.
(At least, I have not demo'ed it yet.)

We will provide a way to specify (quickly) which of the four channels is to be sent our the "Program Feed" (one HD-SDI output but should also go out the HDMI output also).

We may just allow one to press the desired quadrant to perform the selection.

But, we also want to implement a feature where one can select one of the four inputs for full-screen viewing, while remaining in Mutli-Stream Monitoring mode overall. This may be implemented via touching the desired quadrant.

Thus, since we have two functions, we need to provide a great user interface to select the right function.

We have had requests to take in three video sources, record each, isolated in a separate file, and record the selected program feed (the desired output, one of the three video sources).

We plan on supporting this requested feature.

Please feel free to ask additional questions. I am not certain that I answered all of your questions.

And since this is preliminary information, it is subject to change as we implement these features.

Respectfully,
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Odyssey 7Q Multistream recording mode?

That all sounds great Dan. Please let us know when these amazing features hit.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey