Odyssey7Q now Shipping - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 28th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Odyssey7Q now Shipping

Dear Brian,

I want to start with some background information, which, of course, I feel that you already know.

First I would like to talk about UDF, which is a nice File Allocation Table, such as FAT-32, substitute with larger file sizes possible. UDF does not have a 4 GB file size limit.

To put this in perspective, certain file formats such as DPX, and Cinema DNG record each frame of video as a separate file, thus UDF has no advantages over FAT-32 which is universally supported.

UDF has advantage for compressed codecs and any format that records all of the frames in a video clip in one file. Avid DNxHD, ProRes and other video formats fall into this category.

As soon as possible after we release our compressed codec for the Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7, we will add a utility program which may be used to transfer the recorded clips from our SSD's to your computer.

This utility will eliminate the 4 GB File Size limit, as any smaller files that make up a compressed clip will automatically be combined, during the file transfer, to just one file on your computer, provided your computer supports files larger than 4 GB.

Thus, this eliminates the problem for many users.

Second, we are making great progress on our compressed codec project.

If everything goes as expected, and we obtain certification for our work, then we expect this to be released in December, 2013.

I would like to discuss MXF at a later time, after we announce the codec that we will be using.
We can't mention it by name until we receive certification.

I just can't discuss MXF in great detail without going into the name of our compressed codec that we expect to release (for free, as a firmware update) in December, 2013.

Third, we do get a few requests for 720p, and yes we want to implement support for 720p, it is just that we have higher priorities at this time, with our compressed codec project being Priority One.

So, as a company that tries to be responsive to our users, please feel free to post if you need 720p.
And let us know if you need 720p in both compressed and uncompressed formats.

Dear Steffen and Friends,

Please let us know if you are interested in us supporting XAVC, and let us know if you need 50 Mbps and 100 Mbps versions.

Respectfully,
Old November 28th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Great update - thank you!
Old November 28th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
I would like to discuss MXF at a later time, after we announce the codec that we will be using.
We can't mention it by name until we receive certification.

I just can't discuss MXF in great detail without going into the name of our compressed codec that we expect to release (for free, as a firmware update) in December, 2013.
XDCam 4:2:2 50mbps? Don't mind me, just speculating ;)

On another note, I am really looking forward to working with the 7Q on an FS700 and F3 for RAW and DPX respectively in the coming year. Being as I love abusing footage latitude in my work, this really has become the solution for me. Capturing raw from the FS700 then matte tracking and exposure blending has got me all sorts of excited for what this will allow me to do visually.

Regards to your team.
Old November 29th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Dear Justin,

I can tell you that our upcoming codec for the Odyssey7Q (and Odyssey7) will not be XDCam 50 Mbps 4:2:2 codec.

We would love to support this codec in the Odyssey7Q, but this is just not practical at this time.

I want to take this opportunity to suggest that if anyone has a nanoFlash, and loves its versatility, please keep it.

The Sony XDCam 4:2:2 codec is a wonderful codec, and the added Bit-Rates that the nanoFlash adds to XDCam 4:2;2 makes the nanoFlash a very unique and useful device for many professionals.

Our Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7 will have a codec that has been requested thousands of times.

My summary is simple, if you have a nanoFlash, keep it as it will still have many applications.

Respectfully,
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #35
Major Player

Dan,
Understood on maintaining my Nano Flashes. The Nano has become the defacto recorder at CBS NEWS, and NBC Newsfor all non XDCam recordings, Canon 5D, C300, GoPro, Panasonic 900 and others.

On to something we have discussed in the past.
You mentioned adding a utility to join FAT 32 files for the Odessey. Can this Utility be extended to the Nano?
Having 3.75 gig files on Nano recordings has been a problem with editors who log and edit interviews, and hate having to weed through 9:21 sections of 50 Mb MXF.
And lastly, will DNxHD become an option for the Gemni? And if so same utility request from above.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Dear Dennis,

It is nice to hear from you.

We have a nanoFlash utility for combining our ".MOV" files of one clip into one ".MOV" clip.

This utility is available on our website.

We also have another nanoFlash utility, that takes "MXF" files, combines them, and then creates one ".MOV" clip.

This utility requires one to purchase two Calibrated Software programs, and have Quicktime Pro installed, and this is a PC Utility only. Our utility is free, but the cost of the other programs is around $240 total.

Please note that recent versions of Avid Media Composer can accept ".MOV" files.

Respectfully,

Last edited by Dan Keaton; November 30th, 2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: To correct my mistake.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #37
Major Player

"Please note that recent versions of Avid DNxHD can accept ".MOV" files."

I think that you meant: Please note that recent versions of Avid Media Composer can accept ".MOV" files.

Just be aware that you have to have the correct plugin loaded and then have to direct Avid to use that plugin for AMA recognition of the files. Then it is preferable to consolidate those files into Avid native MXF files for editing.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Dear Bob,

Yes, thank you for pointing that out.

I have corrected my mistake in my original post.

Respectfully,
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #39
Major Player

Dan,
Thank you. Yes I'm familiar with the mov work around, but I was looking for a way to combine MXF files and transfer to an XD disk Clip folder as one, without the need for a NLE step. Oh well, hope you are doing well with the Odessey. Seems like my DNXHD FUTURE PATH.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Dear Dennis,

Do you want to copy Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q MXF files directly to the Sony Professional Disk?

Like one can with the nanoFlash's MXF Files, using the Sony U1 or U2 Disk system?
Old November 30th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Can I answer for Dennis?!
YES!!!!!
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:14 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Dear Brian,

I do not want to leave the wrong impression.

The nanoFlash recorded using a Sony XDCam 4:2:2 codec module, thus our XDCam codec "Essence", (the actual encoded video) was the same as what Sony cameras created). This part is no longer available from Sony.

We made the nanoFlash's MXF Header and footer (which wraps around the "Essence") compatible with the Sony U1 and U2 Sony Professional Disk Recorders.

Thus, one could use a nanoFlash, and then, using the Sony U1 or U2, create files on the Sony Professional Disk.

The Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7, at least not at this time, do not have the capability of recording in Sony XDCam 4:2:2 codec.

I do not want anyone to think that we are busy adding Sony XDCam 4:2:2 codec to our new products.

Thus, if you have a nanoFlash, please keep it, as Sony XDCam 4:2:2 is a wonderful codec for many applications. And if desired, one can record to the nanoFlash and use the Odyssey7 or Odyssey7Q as a monitor. I realize that an all-in-one device is certainly more attractive, but adding the Sony XDCam 4:2:2 codec to the Odyssey7 or Odyssey7Q is not practical at this time.

Respectfully,
Old December 1st, 2013, 11:27 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,
I completely understand that there will be no XDCAM recording capability on the Odyssey, but when you asked:

Do you want to copy Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q MXF files directly to the Sony Professional Disk?
Like one can with the nanoFlash's MXF Files, using the Sony U1 or U2 Disk system?

My answer is still yes.
Old December 1st, 2013, 11:52 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

There are two ways to use the Sony Professional Disk system, when using the Sony U1 or U2 disk recorders.

1. One can write a Sony XDCam File, or a nanoFlash file which uses the Sony XDCAM format, to the area of the disk that allows it to be played in any Sony Professional Disk camera, recorder or playback device.

2. One can write any file, of any format, to another area of the disk. These files can not then be played back in the Sony cameras, recorders or playback device, since they are not in the Sony XDCam format..

Option 2 is still useful, as the Sony Professional Disk system is good for storing, archiving, or just transporting the files to another location.

Dear Brian,

With Option 2, any of our files that will fit on a Sony Professional Disk can be written to the disk.

Respectfully,
Old December 1st, 2013, 11:54 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Yes - in the User Data folder.
Understood.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey