Locking 2 or more Odyssey recorders together at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 6th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Locking 2 or more Odyssey recorders together

Will it be possible to lock 2 or more Odyssey recorders together so that they have the same timecode?

My scenario: I have 2 EX3s and (soon) an FS700. I had in mind to get a 7Q with the FS700 option. I thought I would later add the quad recording option until I saw that it cost... a lot! It would actually be cheaper for me to purchase 2 additional Odyssey7s for use on the EX3 cameras than it would be to unlock the Quad record option. So my question remains.... can the timecodes be locked?

Thank you.
Nathan Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Locking 2 or more Odyssey recorders together

Dear Nathan,

The proper technique is to ensure that all cameras have the same timecode values.

The Sony EX3 has Timecode Input and Output Connectors which makes it possible to lock the timecode together in both cameras.

The Sony FS700 does not seem to have Timecode Input and Output Connectors, which makes it hard to lock the timecode to the same value as another camera.

There may be some tricks to get all three cameras to have the same timecode.

Later, when we have our Multi-Stream recording option available (Q1, 2014), this becomes moot, as we will be able to accept multiple video streams and use the timecode value from the primary source (the first video input) for all recordings.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Old November 8th, 2013, 06:06 AM   #3
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Nathan,

The proper technique is to ensure that all cameras have the same timecode values.

The Sony EX3 has Timecode Input and Output Connectors which makes it possible to lock the timecode together in both cameras.

The Sony FS700 does not seem to have Timecode Input and Output Connectors, which makes it hard to lock the timecode to the same value as another camera.

There may be some tricks to get all three cameras to have the same timecode.

Later, when we have our Multi-Stream recording option available (Q1, 2014), this becomes moot, as we will be able to accept multiple video streams and use the timecode value from the primary source (the first video input) for all recordings.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Unless you have a sync input (timecode) on your camera even with the multistream option cameras will not technically be locked - good enough for multicam and live switching but no good for 3d..

There maybe a way to lock the two Ex1s to the Fs700... The FS700 would have to be the master...
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

If the application is for 3D, then for proper 3D, the cameras must be Genlocked (or even better Pixel Locked).

What is the application?
Old November 15th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Dan, etc.-

Thank you. This is helpful. My question was about multi-cam applications, not 3D. I think that what I had in mind here would work well.

Thanks again.
Nathan Lawrence is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey