DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   rugged 7Q? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/520850-rugged-7q.html)

Ron Aerts January 1st, 2014 03:58 AM

rugged 7Q?

Seeing this out of the box stresstests AC7 & AC7-OLED Torture Test | SmallHD Videos
Normally I treat my stuff more carefully, but for rental houses good to know...
Are there any droptests done with the 7/7q?
What is done to make the frame rugged? Is there something special done with the glass/surface?
My first impressions on the 7Q are very good, constructive-wise. But I could and would never perform tests like these.
What about a few drops of rain and sand?
I once used bit air to undust the nanoflash and got stuck with some foam particles behind the display, not so smart. Is the display a sealed component?

I love the tool so far. extreme good focusing tool en really beautiful in color reproduction.

Chris Medico January 1st, 2014 11:27 PM

Re: rugged 7Q?

I'm not trying that with mine. That is for sure! ;)

Dan Keaton January 2nd, 2014 08:24 AM

Dear Chris,

We have not tested our Odyssey7Q by filming it being drop kicked.

But, the Odyssey7Q is rugged.

1. The case is made of magnesium, and it is reinforced in the corners.

This molded magnesium case is very strong and this contributes to the Odyssey7Q's high immunity to static discharges as well as helping to pass the strict FCC and CE tests for radiation emissions and radiation immunity.

2. The OLED is covered with Gorilla Glass, a very strong, but thin glass.

3. The Gorilla Glass is covered by a strong, protective, and replaceable screen cover.

4. The BNC's are connected to the circuit board in a very secure manner, being soldered directly to both the top and bottom of the circuit board.

5. The only internal "plug-in" connection, in the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q is one plug from the OLED panel to the one circuit board.

All of the other external connectors are soldered directly to the circuit board to increase reliability.

In the fall of 2013, I just completed a demo at Zacuto in Chicago.

I placed my Odyssey7Q in my laptop case, which was on a high workbench (my best guess is that it was about 48" above a wooden floor.)

Much to my surprise, the Odyssey7Q slid out of the case and fell on the floor.

I could not detect any visual damage at all, not even a scratch or dent.

And the Odyssey7Q continues to perform perfectly, thus no internal damage was done.

I did not see exactly how the Odyssey7Q hit the floor, but the BNC's were not damaged, nor was the case, or the OLED panel.

This is the same Odyssey7Q that I have been using for demo's and events since that date.

Respectfully,

Ron Aerts January 2nd, 2014 01:18 PM

Is that really the only droptest performed? One an a half a meter from a wooden floor?
Ok, playing football with it is rubbish but I think there should be droptests done in order to see what happens at a specific frequency or fatigue. Like all major brands do with their utencils.
Also connectors directly on a cicuit board is in my opinion not the best option, I understand it saves space though.
As the connector is the only part that protrudes and don't forget the directors/assistants wirepulling, it should be flexibly connected to the inner boards
Unfortunatly you see too often tools with connectors having connectionproblems when moving the cable due to tiny movement at solder points

It is not that I worry about the 7Q, it is just an opinion. on the contrary, the unit feels and looks very solid

Respectfully,
Ron

Dan Keaton January 2nd, 2014 01:37 PM

Dear Ron,

That was not an intentional drop test, it was just a real-world drop that occurred as an accident.

The drop was from around 48" high, about 1.22 meters high, onto a hardwood floor.

I do not know of any other formal drop tests that we performed. These may have occurred, I am just not aware of what tests we performed.

The reason that we have no internal connections (other than the one for the OLED panel) is to increase reliability.

The BNC connections are very rugged.

Respectfully,