Status 7/7Q - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:32 AM   #16
Sponsor: Westside AV

Re: Status 7/7Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Aerts View Post
What image tearing?
There is a known problem with the image tearing, it will be fixed in the next FW according to CD. With mine it is the top ¼" of the screen.

I noticed it right away, I also thought something was wrong with my O7Q. But it is a display problem, maybe not all O7Q's have this problem, maybe the later shipping ones have a fix, I don't know.

But it is very obvious when you pan and have straight vertical lines in in your scene. It is not recorded this way and it does not show up on the SDI out from the O7Q. It is annoying but at least it is not recorded.
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:42 AM   #17
New Boot

Sorry if this is redundant, but before I drop thousands on the 7Q, I want to be certain it will serve the function I need it to. We are shooting a feature in July, and plan to capture picture with the 7Q. We are shooting on a FS700 which already has the 4k upgrade.

I have several questions:

1) I'm confused by what the Convergent website says about which firmwares are currently available. It says the 2K Raw is available now for the FS700, but the "future development order" lists 4K YCC. Does that mean the 7Q can *not* shoot 4K at this time? If not, will that option be available by summer? Will that firmware be offered free to folks who have already purchased the $795 FS700 package, or will we have to pay some additional fee?

2) I've been researching power options for the 7Q. We've decided that Anton Bauer & comparable batteries are absurdly priced and overly-heavy, so plan to get power to the battery via a different means. I've combed the videos and photos on the web, but can't find any images of the *back* or *bottom* of the 7Q, to see mounting options - and if battery solutions we are considering would interfere with the mount. Can you provide a link to an image of the back/bottom?

3) I've heard rumors that people are using FS700 batteries to power the 7Q. What type of adapter would be needed to do this? Does Convergent warn against this?

4) If we use the Convergent battery & battery charger shown here...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001355-REG/convergent_design_cd_od_batt_4_cell_li_ion_battery_14_4v.html...it appears that it will run the 7Q for 3-4 hours. How long does it take to *recharge* that battery? Where does it mount on the 7Q? Can the battery mount be removed and moved elsewhere (to the back of a shoulder rig) and power run to the 7Q via cable? Does Convergent make such a cable?

Thanks. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a purchase, but haven't been able to find answers to the questions after all my research. It's awesome that you guys have a presence on here and are answering customer questions. Thanks a million!
Wade Wofford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #18
Major Player

Wade,

I think I know the answer to #1:

The 7Q can record 4K uncompressed (= huge files) but convergent designs are waiting for licensing issues regarding compressed format, "popular codec" (aka ProRes). That is what's coming in the next update. 4K raw will only be available if Sony decides to license that capability, and as I understand it that is more an IF than when.
If you pay for the FS700 package, future updates will be free.

Someone correct me if I got something wrong.
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #19
Inner Circle

The answer to #2

There is there is a 1/4-20 tapped into the rear bottom center.

There is also a 1/4-20 tapped on each side.
Attached Thumbnails
Status 7/7Q-odyssey-7q-side-mount.jpg   Status 7/7Q-odyssey-7q-rear-mount.jpg  

Last edited by Chris Medico; January 29th, 2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Added photos
Chris Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Wofford View Post
Sorry if this is redundant, but before I drop thousands on the 7Q, I want to be certain it will serve the function I need it to. We are shooting a feature in July, and plan to capture picture with the 7Q. We are shooting on a FS700 which already has the 4k upgrade.

I have several questions:

1) I'm confused by what the Convergent website says about which firmwares are currently available. It says the 2K Raw is available now for the FS700, but the "future development order" lists 4K YCC. Does that mean the 7Q can *not* shoot 4K at this time? If not, will that option be available by summer? Will that firmware be offered free to folks who have already purchased the $795 FS700 package, or will we have to pay some additional fee?
Dear Wade,

Our Odyssey7Q with the FS700 option can currently record 2K Raw, up to 240 fps.

It cannot, at this time record 4K Raw.

We are waiting on Sony's permission to enable this feature.

If we receive permission, recording 4K Raw will be in our February 2014, Odyssey7Q firmware release.

This is already programmed and tested, we are just waiting for permission to enable it.

Also, we will be adding the ability to record 4K compressed to a popular compressed codec in 4K mode.
This will come later (and will not be ready for our February 2014 firmware release.)

Quote:

2) I've been researching power options for the 7Q. We've decided that Anton Bauer & comparable batteries are absurdly priced and overly-heavy, so plan to get power to the battery via a different means. I've combed the videos and photos on the web, but can't find any images of the *back* or *bottom* of the 7Q, to see mounting options - and if battery solutions we are considering would interfere with the mount. Can you provide a link to an image of the back/bottom?
We provide many different ways to power the Odyssey7Q. We offer and Olof offers a Sony L-Series battery plate that powers the Odyssey7Q using the same type of battery that powers the FS700.

Also, there are XLR power cables, D-Tap power cables, and bare leads power cables.

And there are battery plates that work with Anton Bauer or IDX batteries.

Quote:

3) I've heard rumors that people are using FS700 batteries to power the 7Q. What type of adapter would be needed to do this? Does Convergent warn against this?
This is perfectly acceptable.

Quote:

4) If we use the Convergent battery & battery charger shown here...
Convergent Design 4-Cell Li-Ion Battery for Odyssey CD-OD-BATT
...it appears that it will run the 7Q for 3-4 hours. How long does it take to *recharge* that battery? Where does it mount on the 7Q? Can the battery mount be removed and moved elsewhere (to the back of a shoulder rig) and power run to the 7Q via cable? Does Convergent make such a cable?
This was our original battery solution. The cable from the battery to the Odyssey7Q is short, as this battery is designed to attach to the back of the Odyssey7Q via Velcro.

I recommend that you consider the Sony L-Series Battery plates.

Quote:

Thanks. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a purchase, but haven't been able to find answers to the questions after all my research. It's awesome that you guys have a presence on here and are answering customer questions. Thanks a million!
Thank you!

Here is a link to a video that Mitch Gross prepared about various power options:

http://www.convergent-design.com/Sup...r-Options.aspx

Respectfully,
Old January 29th, 2014, 08:51 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post

Also, we will be adding the ability to record 4K compressed to a popular compressed codec in 4K mode.
This will come later (and will not be ready for our February 2014 firmware release.)
Dan can you confirm that there will be a "less popular" compressed codec in the Feb release (DNxHD)?

Will we have the option for MXF container?
Old January 29th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Dear Chris,

I am sorry but no.

We will not have the DNxHD codec ready for our February 2014 firmware release.

Our plans are to add this later this year, and it may be near the end of 2014.

Respectfully,
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Bummer. Looks like I'll not be selling the PIX240 any time soon.
Old January 29th, 2014, 12:50 PM   #24
New Boot

Wow! You guys rock! Ouch on the Sony holding back Convergent from the 4K feature.

Now, one last, very simple (stupid?) question... How does one connect the FS700 to the 7Q? Is there a preferred method? BNC? HDMI?
Wade Wofford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #25
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Wofford View Post
Wow! You guys rock! Ouch on the Sony holding back Convergent from the 4K feature.

Now, one last, very simple (stupid?) question... How does one connect the FS700 to the 7Q? Is there a preferred method? BNC? HDMI?
3G BNC cable is the best. Make sure it is a 3G cable. HDMI can also be used but not for RAW.

BTW Westside A V still has an Odyssey 7Q unsold from our last shipment, we also carry all the accessories and SSD cards.
We make many of the accessories like the hood and battery plates and mounting brackets and custom cables.

http://www.westsideavstore.com/index...=product&id=75
Old January 29th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Dear Chris,

I am sorry but no.

Respectfully,
Dan, I am confused about the compressed recording on the 7/7Q. On your web site it states that the base device will record to a compressed codec. So which one is that?
I was hearing that you were offering DNxHD recording when the Odyssey 7Q shipped. But now you are saying that the DNxHD codec will not be ready until the end of the year. I am confused.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willis View Post
Dan, I am confused about the compressed recording on the 7/7Q. On your web site it states that the base device will record to a compressed codec. So which one is that?
I was hearing that you were offering DNxHD recording when the Odyssey 7Q shipped. But now you are saying that the DNxHD codec will not be ready until the end of the year. I am confused.
That was my understanding as well. Till then it will just be a very expensive monitor for me. If I had understood that DNxHD was not in the initial release I would have waited to purchase the 7q.
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #28
Contributor

Quote:
Dear Chris,

I am sorry but no.

Respectfully,
So Dan - I'm trying to work out what this means? The end of 2014 is some 14 months after the initiaI release of the 7Q - that just seems an absurd amount of time to wait for something that was scheduled in before you started shipping your first unit. It is also unclear what this means:
1. for example I assumed that the debayered raw output of the FS700 recorded to a popular codec in 4K 422 @ up to 30fps was going to be ready for Feb release.

It was my understanding from another response that CD already had this working in the lab?

Sorry you can't multiquote from different threads in this forum but you definitely said it was scheduled for the Feb 2014 firmware release.. but maybe you meant ProRes and not DNxHD?

2. I also thought you were going to have 2K compressed recording from the same source ready for February, but it seems now that is only going to be SDI video.. but I don't really know because I haven't heard it from you, only from forum posts.

3. I also thought you were shipping units with DNxHD included for free HD recording - it was in all your publicity releases once you decided to release a free recording option with the 7 and 7Q.

Confused.. BTW great news about the 4K Raw from Sony.. I know the FS700 is not the only camera you are supporting but it does seem to be the one generating the most interest.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:55 AM   #29
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
That was my understanding as well. Till then it will just be a very expensive monitor for me. If I had understood that DNxHD was not in the initial release I would have waited to purchase the 7q.
I can understand the confusion - it does seem like CD are going to lose some cred over that decision.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
So Dan - I'm trying to work out what this means? The end of 2014 is some 14 months after the initiaI release of the 7Q - that just seems an absurd amount of time to wait for something that was scheduled in before you started shipping your first unit. It is also unclear what this means:
1. for example I assumed that the debayered raw output of the FS700 recorded to a popular codec in 4K 422 @ up to 30fps was going to be ready for Feb release.

It was my understanding from another response that CD already had this working in the lab?

Sorry you can't multiquote from different threads in this forum but you definitely said it was scheduled for the Feb 2014 firmware release.. but maybe you meant ProRes and not DNxHD?

2. I also thought you were going to have 2K compressed recording from the same source ready for February, but it seems now that is only going to be SDI video.. but I don't really know because I haven't heard it from you, only from forum posts.

3. I also thought you were shipping units with DNxHD included for free HD recording - it was in all your publicity releases once you decided to release a free recording option with the 7 and 7Q.

Confused.. BTW great news about the 4K Raw from Sony.. I know the FS700 is not the only camera you are supporting but it does seem to be the one generating the most interest.
Where this has left me is going into my 7th shoot this weekend since I bought the 7q and I've not recorded a single frame of video with it yet. Its not useful to me till it can record longer than 45 min per hard drive. In the mean time I'm using it for exposure and monitoring and still recording to my PIX240. The PIX has the recording options I use most (DNxHD) plus a couple extra channels of audio via XLR inputs on its case.

I'm stuck with mounting extra gear on the camera where I was expecting to have a nice simple 7q. I'm less than happy with this situation and to be honest I wish I had saved my $3500 and kept using what has worked well with me for a couple of years.

Recording RAW is awesome on the occasion when I'll be doing it. RAW isn't the norm for my shoots. Me purchasing the equipment based on the pre-release hype from CD has proven to be a costly mistake for me. I take responsibility for my actions. At the same time I'm sorry to say but CD has lost a lot of my respect from not meeting what they promised.

I've been holding my tongue on this but I've reached a level of frustration where I felt I should say something about it.

Dan is a great liaison here on the forum. Its good that he is here. With that being said someone somewhere in the Convergent Design organization appears to have no idea how to roll out a schedule and keep it.

My feedback to CD - I don't need to hear how its hard to build this product and its unpredictable to get these things done as justification why you can't ship what was hyped out of the gate. If that is true then you don't talk about it. Why?? Because WE make decisions based on those announcements and WE are the ones that get burned by them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey