Monitor mounting solutions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 9th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Monitor mounting solutions?

I threw up the 7Q on an articulating arm attached to my FS700 cage, and I noticed that the monitor mounting female threaded hole is on the bottom of the backside of the 7Q. Short of tightening the arm aluminum lock disc with a channelock pliers, the monitor just wants to tilt and fall off to either side.

What do you guys use for monitor holding solution when using an FS700 cage? I would like to see something far more secure.
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Re: Monitor mounting solutions?

I make a very rugged and versatile mounting system for the Odyssey, check it out:

Odyssey Mounting Bracket Westside AV

I also make a hood and battery mounting system for the Odyssey:

Odyssey 7Q Hood by Westside AV
Odyssey Battery Mounting Bracket Westside AV

And here is a video that shows them all:

Attached Thumbnails
Monitor mounting solutions?-o7qbracket12.jpg  
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Allen View Post
I threw up the 7Q on an articulating arm attached to my FS700 cage, and I noticed that the monitor mounting female threaded hole is on the bottom of the backside of the 7Q. Short of tightening the arm aluminum lock disc with a channelock pliers, the monitor just wants to tilt and fall off to either side.

What do you guys use for monitor holding solution when using an FS700 cage? I would like to see something far more secure.
Dear Dave,

I like Olof's mounting system quite a lot.

I find that a Noga Arm, (real Noga Brand), also works well.

I can finger tighten it and it says in place.

Olof's mounting system ensures that it stays in place, by design.

Respectfully,
Old February 9th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #4
Major Player

I have a Movcam cage and I don't have two free tapped holes on top, it needs to mount to the side, so am not sure the Olaf one will work mounted to the side of the top handle of the Movcam rig.
Old February 9th, 2014, 12:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Allen View Post
I have a Movcam cage and I don't have two free tapped holes on top, it needs to mount to the side, so am not sure the Olaf one will work mounted to the side of the top handle of the Movcam rig.
I can easily make a 90º adapter that goes on the side of the "cage". All our gear is made right here in my NH Studio/Shop.

You can contact me direct if you are interested. I do a lot of custom work, both in person and figured out by "Skyping", I am westsideav on Skype, email or call first.

olof@westsideav.com
cel 603.387.4921
Old February 9th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Great, thanks!
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:10 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm interested if anyone has other solutions - Olof's design wouldn't work too well for me as I need something much more flexible so I can mount the monitor in a number of places depending on the shoot.

I use a noga arm which has just the screw threads on both ends. I also have a clamp block that one end can screw into for clamping to C stands etc.

What I'm trying to solve is the unscrewing action. I find that if I knock or tilt the rig, the arm starts to come unscrewed and can flap around.

I did see the Sony arm for their monitor that has a locating pin that works with many holes drilled in the top handle of the F5/55/700 or possibly other rig handles etc.

I've seen the Zamerican system from Zacuto but that looks a bit over the top and very expensive.

Anyone else seen some kind of adapter or arm system that has a screw and locating pin arrangement?
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #8
New Boot

I have not tried it yet but looks interesting to me
16x9 inc. Cine Lock (169-CL-01) quick release mounting bracket for use with Noga articulated arms
Geza Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #9

I am just working on another mounting aid for the Odyssey.

It is very simple an angled aluminum bracket that is threaded into the back hole with rubber back so it is impervious to turning, and it will have ¼-20 and ⅜ threaded holes for Noga arms. This will eliminate the nasty unthreading of Noga arms, because the holes are now on the bottom.

It will also have an optional battery plate for use with heavier batteries (AB/IDX style) as well as the small Sony Canon etc batteries, that attaches to this bracket so the stress is not on the small screws on the back of the Odyssey.

It will also have an optional safety bar to protect the BNC's and the power connector on the bottom of the Odyssey.

I will post photos here soon. It should be in production next week. And the basic angle bracket will be in the $40.00 range.

Any comments are welcome.

I will of course continue making my popular 15mm support system for the Odyssey.
Old March 5th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Olof,

Any progress on that option yet?

For me, the problem lies at the camera end of the noga arm - loosening and allowing the whole arm/monitor to flap back and forth. Of course it depends where you screw into - top handle or into a cage/rig of some kind and what moment there is then on the threaded part of the arm.

Some kind of mounting plate with locating pin like Sony has would be good - see here:

https://www.abelcine.com/store/image...e=P&id=1005810

Not sure how that fixes to the LCD though.

Paul.
Old March 5th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gale View Post
Hi Olof,

Any progress on that option yet?

For me, the problem lies at the camera end of the noga arm - loosening and allowing the whole arm/monitor to flap back and forth. Of course it depends where you screw into - top handle or into a cage/rig of some kind and what moment there is then on the threaded part of the arm.

Some kind of mounting plate with locating pin like Sony has would be good - see here:

https://www.abelcine.com/store/image...e=P&id=1005810

Not sure how that fixes to the LCD though.

Paul.
I have the parts made they are on the way to be anodized. I have just really been so busy I have not had time to photograph them. They will be shipping next week.
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi Olof!

How about a quick phone snapshot? I wanted to order your battery mounting bracket for my 7Q but I didn't know you had a dedicated sales site. Dan linked me over to the nanoflash site for ordering but when checking out - it said yours was out of stock so I ordered the stock one, not knowing it limited my options for using the back thread hole on the monitor.
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 06:43 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

Please note that we have designed in a locating hole, in the Odyssey7Q, near the 1/4" x 20 threaded hole in the back of the Odyssey7Q.

This allows accessories to be built that prevent the possibility of the Odyssey7Q slipping while in use.

Respectfully,
Old March 7th, 2014, 06:46 AM   #14
Major Player

So there is - didn't look for that.

The monitor seems to be firmly enough attached to the screw thread on my magic arm by using a nylon washer though. It's the camera/rig mounting that seems to give most problems.

That locating pin hole - is that some kind of standard distance from the threaded hole?

Thanks.
Old March 7th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

Yes, it is the standard distance.

We used the ARRI Standard distance.

Respectfully,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey