FW Update Instructions / Issues / ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 20th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #1
Major Player

FW Update Instructions / Issues / ?

I downloaded the updater files and some things are not clear.

I do not have 2 folders and a file of

}ODYSSEY_UPDATE{ ( the update folder)
}ODYSSEY7Q{.UPD (the actual firmware update file)
}CLIPS{ (an empty folder)

Instead what I have is two folders on the SSD:

The first one is: titled exactly like this under the one folder:

}CLIPS
{____________ODYSSEY

Clicking on that shows it is empty with 168.3 MB's available

The second one is }ODYSSEY_UPDATE{

The unit did seem to take the update as I watched its progress via the white progress bar.

The update instructions state:

8. When complete it will say: “UPDATE COMPLETE – PLEASE REMOVE UPDATE DRIVE” (Please remove the SSD; then press and hold the power button).

This is not clear to me. While the unit is fully on, do I just yank out the SSD #1 from its slot or do I press F2 shutdown THEN yank the drive?

After that, do I press and hold the power button for the purposes of turning the unit on, or off AFTER I have yanked the drive?

If I were to take the instruction verbatim, I would yank the drive with the unit fully on, then turn it off, insert the SSD turn it back on, click cancel on update, then reformat SSD1.

What happened when I turned the unit off, inserted the SSD1 then turned it back on, instead of getting an update ok or decline, I got a lower left: LOADING FS700.., COMPLETED, then a counting number%.

Once completed, only then did I get the Update? thing. I touched cancel, then tried to reformat both SSD's. SSD1 formatted well, but then it could not format SSD2, giving me a lower left flashing SATA ERROR. I then reformatted each drive separately instead of both at the same time, and that worked.

Now when I go to SETUP>MONITOR --> RECORD> I see the FS700 4K RAW -> PRORES HD (.MOV)

When I select that, it says
FS700 4K ->PRORES HD
MEMORY SWAP-(3 MINUTES)
READ INTO MEMORY?

I touch "YES" then I get the lower left: LOADING FS700>PRORES HD then the counting percentage number.

This makes me wonder, is it 4K RAW, or 4K PRORES compressed, or is it 4K RAW compressed via PRORES and there is no 4K RAW uncompressed?

The menus selection names are not clear. I should see a FS700 RAW2K at the top, not FS700 RAW leading the possibility to question if that is 4K or the original 2K. I will presume 2K.

For those of us who are congenitally clueless, more precise and complete instructions and on-screen settings titles might save us from ourselves.

Apparently, despite my best efforts, everything worked.

Now, all we need is a quick release and/or a proper right angle mounting bracket with an ARRI spaced indexing pin that does not interfere with the C.D. SONY battery mount sheet metal to keep the unit from catastrophically falling side to side due to the peculiar rear horizontal female threaded hole versus the standard bottom threaded hole.
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: FW Update Instructions / Issues / ?

Dear Dave,

I noticed the first error in the instructions Wednesday night, and I have notified our team.

This should be corrected soon.

After the update is complete, you can just pull out the SSD, with the Odyssey7Q powered on.

Then power off the Odyssey7Q. You can pull the power, or press and hold the power button for 5 seconds, then release.

To power it back on, just press the power on button once.

One clean way of getting the update off of the SSD, is to connect it to a computer then delete the }Odyssey_Update{ folder.

Then the SSD must be reinserted into the Odyssey7Q and then reformatted.

There are other ways to accomplish this.

Quote:
This makes me wonder, is it 4K RAW, or 4K PRORES compressed, or is it 4K RAW compressed via PRORES and there is no 4K RAW uncompressed?
When recording in 4K Raw, from the FS700, the 4K Raw is uncompressed raw.

When recording in our 4K to HD mode, we take the 4K Raw, deBayer it to HD, perform other steps, then record it as an Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) file. Thus, this mode provides compressed HD from the superior 4K Raw output of the FS700.

Quote:
The menus selection names are not clear. I should see a FS700 RAW2K at the top, not FS700 RAW leading the possibility to question if that is 4K or the original 2K. I will presume 2K.

When we record FS700 Raw, it will be recorded as uncompressed Raw, in either 2K or 4K.

Olof makes accessories that solve the problem you mentioned.

We did not have room for both an HDMI input and a bottom threaded 1/4" x 20 threaded hole, sorry.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully
Old March 21st, 2014, 12:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the info Dan.

To clarify, the "FS700 RAW -> ( .DNG)" setting is 4K RAW uncompressed.

And the "FS700 4K RAW -> PRORES HD (.MOV) setting is the 4K RAW debayered to HD ProRes

Where is the FS700 2K RAW up to 240 fps setting?

As to the interface programming, it would be slick if all the particular settings for each particular camera were grouped rather than the new FS700 ProRes on the bottom.

I figured it was an available space issue when the receiver hole was on the back. I sure would like to see a stainless steel heli-coil insert in that soft aluminum housing mont port. Now if someone made a nice rubber monitor housing like they do for iPhones..... I will check to see if Olaf's bracket has a pin to index into the Arri-spaced receiver hole to keep the bracket from rotating. Maybe you guys can have a few of those for demo/sale at NAB.

I guess the next future option might be 4K uncompressed signal converted to 4K ProRes if such a thing exists and is possible.

I look forward to chatting with you all at NAB as I'm interested in how the awesome "end trigger" endless loop buffer system on the Sony FS700 can be duplicated into the Odyssey.
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Allen View Post
as I'm interested in how the awesome "end trigger" endless loop buffer system on the Sony FS700 can be duplicated into the Odyssey.
I second this. That function is such an invaluable feature for me.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 07:29 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Dave,

I noticed the first error in the instructions Wednesday night, and I have notified our team.

This should be corrected soon.

After the update is complete, you can just pull out the SSD, with the Odyssey7Q powered on.

Then power off the Odyssey7Q. You can pull the power, or press and hold the power button for 5 seconds, then release.

To power it back on, just press the power on button once.

One clean way of getting the update off of the SSD, is to connect it to a computer then delete the }Odyssey_Update{ folder.

Then the SSD must be reinserted into the Odyssey7Q and then reformatted.

There are other ways to accomplish this.

When recording in 4K Raw, from the FS700, the 4K Raw is uncompressed raw.

When recording in our 4K to HD mode, we take the 4K Raw, deBayer it to HD, perform other steps, then record it as an Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) file. Thus, this mode provides compressed HD from the superior 4K Raw output of the FS700.

When we record FS700 Raw, it will be recorded as uncompressed Raw, in either 2K or 4K.

Olof makes accessories that solve the problem you mentioned.

We did not have room for both an HDMI input and a bottom threaded 1/4" x 20 threaded hole, sorry.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully
Thanks Dan.

Couple of questinos:

1. After performing the update, do I just yank the SSD out or "Safe eject" it from the menu?

2. After I have ejected the SSD, couldn't I shut down by using the F2 Shut down button on the side of Odyssey or do I have to shut the unit down by either pulling the power cable or holding the power "PWR ON" button down for five seconds?

Thanks.
Amir Qureshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Amir, Dan confirmed below, you just yank the SSD out without doing a safe eject.

Quote:
He also confirmed you just press and hold the power button after hard removing the SSD to turn it all off.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:53 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks for your help Dave.

Figured it out as I updated the firmware. I did actually read Dan' response but just did not know that after the firmware update is finished, you do not have the regular menu displayed, hence there is no choice of safe ejecting the SSD and no choice of turning the unit off via F2 function button. So it all makes sense and I just followed Dan' instructions and it all worked, thanks once again.
Amir Qureshi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey