DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Unexpected stop recording (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/522487-unexpected-stop-recording.html)

Ron Aerts March 31st, 2014 01:38 PM

Unexpected stop recording

This night I used the 7q for recirding a live output from an echolab digital broadcast switcher. The audio was recorded on an 8track tascam CF recorder. I used the timecode output from the tascam to feed the ltc in from the 7q. The rec was hand triggered and listened to the ltc. I started the recordings on the beginning of the show and the 7q tally was on. Later on i discovered that the 7q stopped and there was a message like " unexpected stop, check last file" and could not be triggered anymore. I restarted the 7q and resumed recording, only like 15 min were missing. I had a nonsynced backup running so no big deal.
I noticed another stop during stopping the audiorecorder. It feels like a glitch in the tc made the 7q stop.
Is the 7q this sensitive? I cant see anything happening in the display but i have to do some more testing. And if a glitch or a few drops in frames makes it stop, maybe there should be some buffer for situations like this.
Is this known by CD?
Could a function to buffer these drops be added to the feature list?

Dan Keaton March 31st, 2014 05:25 PM

Re: Unexpected stop recording

Dear Ron,

I am reporting this to our engineering team immediately.

Respectfully,

Ron Aerts April 1st, 2014 12:25 AM

Thanks Dan, I'll do some testing this evening with another show. I will bring a separate tc generator and will use this for syncing.

Dan Keaton April 1st, 2014 08:58 AM

Dear Ron,

I have heard back from our engineers.

Background: (Ron, you probably already know this)

There are two basic types of switchers.

1. The switcher has circuitry to ensure that all of the video inputs are synchronized, so that when a switch occurs there is no glitch in the output signal.

2. Switchers which produce a glitch in the output when the input is switched.

If Type 2 is used with the Odyssey7Q, then we lose sync with the input signal, causing problems.

With Type 1, the switching is 100% seamless so that the Odyssey7Q can record without problems through any input source switch.

Our Chief Engineer is suspecting that a glitch occurred while switching.

Can you please let us know the model number of the Echolab switcher and I will do more research.

Also, could you please test this by setting up the cameras, and the switcher, and the Odyssey7Q, performing some test recordings while switching the inputs?

As always, you may call me for support 24/7. Please call my 719 number first.

Support | Convergent Design

Respectfully,