Sony A7S - 4K - Odyssey 7Q - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 7th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Sony A7S - 4K - Odyssey 7Q

Dear Ole,

I agree completely with your request to use other Profiles.

Our A7s is in another city right now, so I can't test it.

But, I thought that, when in HD Mode, when recording from any camera, we supported Rec. 709, Rec. 709 800% and S-Log 2. In other words, you were not locked into using S-Log 2.

I will ask our team to check on this for you.

Also, I will discuss with our engineering team about supporting all of the other Profiles.

We like to be respectful of Atomos and all of their products.

But, I hope that we can keep you happy using our products, mainly by earning your support and loyalty.

In regards to our compressed 4K codec project, we feel that you will be very happy with our progress, and the quality of our images.

Among other things, we were comparing reference images to the images we created using the compressed 4K codec, and we were very pleased with the results.

We will provide more details as soon as practical.

Respectfully,
Old September 12th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
In reference to converting 4K HDMI to HD-SDI, we have not yet found a suitable converter that one could purchase. This is not for a lack of trying.

We feel that this is possible using multiple converters, but we feel that this is an unacceptable solution.

Respectfully,
The HDMI 2 SDI4K converter from BMD is "new", could it work? (It outputs "only" UHD, but A7S is max UHD)

Anyone have tried this??

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...verters/models
Ole Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Dear Ole,

Yes, we tried that converter and it did not work for this application.

Respectfully,
Old September 13th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #19
Regular Crew

maybe with the new blackmagic converters you can do this now - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...verters/models
Old September 14th, 2014, 09:11 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Dear Ed,

We will continue to test every 4K HDMI to HD-SDI converter that appears on the market in our attempts to find one that suits our application.

We tested a Blackmagic Design 4K HDMI to HD-SDI converter, which looked promising, but the outputs were not in a format that could feed the Odyssey7Q.

We need a 4K HDMI to Dual Link HD-SDI 3G converter or one that supports Quad Link HD-SDI 1.5G outputs.

While it would appear, from the Tech Specs, that the Blackmagic Design converter would work, since it has dual outputs, and supports HD-SDI 3G, the actual outputs are not 4K Dual Link HD-SDI 3G.

Respectfully,
Old October 31st, 2014, 12:51 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Any news on how to get 4K/UHD from the Sony A7S to the 7Q? (the path)

Still no converters up for the job, and the Shogun is close to release now.

1. Will it be possible to send in the 7Q for hardware modification?
2. Or are you already working on a new recorder to replace the 7Q?

(I know you wont answer that last question, but I am thinking loud given the price drop on the 7Q)
Ole Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 06:23 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Salomonsen View Post
Any news on how to get 4K/UHD from the Sony A7S to the 7Q? (the path)

Still no converters up for the job, and the Shogun is close to release now.

1. Will it be possible to send in the 7Q for hardware modification?
2. Or are you already working on a new recorder to replace the 7Q?

(I know you wont answer that last question, but I am thinking loud given the price drop on the 7Q)
Dear Ole,

We have not found a suitable 4K HDMI to HD-SDI converter yet that outputs either HD-SDI 1.5G Quad Link or HD-SDI 3G Dual Link, and meets the SMPTE Specifications for these formats.

We hold out hope that some manufacturer of converters is building such a device.

----------

As I am writing this, Atomos has on their website, on their Shogun page:

"Available November 2014"

----------

The questions you are asking are hard to answer.

1. We do not know yet.

We do know that the logistics of sending in a device, such as the Odyssey7Q, getting the customs paperwork for the United States Customs and your country are difficult tasks.

The Customs Duty's can be significant if the paperwork is not filled out precisely correct.

And the shipping costs can be significant.

2. As a policy, we do not speculate about future, unannounced products, real or imagined.

I want to be helpful, but most manufacturers do not answer this question.

On the other hard, we certainly listen to requests for product improvements and/or suggestions for future products.

I will say the that Odyssey7Q is a wonderful device, with one limitation, in that the HDMI Input and Output are limited to up to 720p, up to 1080p30 and up to 1080i60.

The Odyssey7Q supports many cameras, just not the 4K HDMI output of the GH4 and the A7s.

The Odyssey7Q supports HD over HDMI from these two and other cameras, but I know that you want 4K HDMI, just as I would.

When we started manufacturing the Odyssey7Q, the HDMI receiver and transmitter chips to support 4K over HDMI were just not available.

I hope this helps.

I have provided you with my personal cell phone and Skype account, so please feel free to call me.

Respectfully,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey