DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Which Upcoming 4K ProRes Flavor? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/524456-upcoming-4k-prores-flavor.html)

Dave Allen August 9th, 2014 07:20 PM

Which Upcoming 4K ProRes Flavor?

I read through most of the posts and it seems that the upcoming 4K ProRes firmware upgrade will just be some indeterminate version of the highly compressed 422....what we wouldn't give for it to be the hot new virtually lossless 444 XQ version ProRes from Apple.

Their white paper can be found here

If you can comment on the planned ProRes version, and if the unit has the horsepower to do ProRes 444 XQ and which of the 6 versions of ProRes the upcoming 4k ProRes firmware upgrade will employ.

Thanks Dan!

Dave Sperling August 9th, 2014 07:51 PM

Re: Which Upcoming 4K ProRes Flavor?

After looking at page 22 of the white paper and the massive data rates for high quality pro-res at 4K size, I'm wondering what flavor of 4K pro-res you would like to see/use first?

I personally have always favored optimal quality codecs, but even a mere ~1 TB/hr for 4K prores 4444XQ still feels like a lot of memory modules to buy and transfers to do.

Dave Allen August 10th, 2014 12:04 AM

1 TB for an hour is ok with me.

Dan Keaton August 10th, 2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Allen (Post 1857691)
I read through most of the posts and it seems that the upcoming 4K ProRes firmware upgrade will just be some indeterminate version of the highly compressed 422....what we wouldn't give for it to be the hot new virtually lossless 444 XQ version ProRes from Apple.

Their white paper can be found here

If you can comment on the planned ProRes version, and if the unit has the horsepower to do ProRes 444 XQ and which of the 6 versions of ProRes the upcoming 4k ProRes firmware upgrade will employ.

Thanks Dan!

Dear Dave,

This is one of the harder questions to answer.

Companies are forbidden from announcing upcoming Apple ProRes implementations until their code has been certified by Apple.

If the upcoming implementation is a slightly different version, such as supporting a new frame rate within an existing Apple ProRes version, such as Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), then it can be discussed, as this does not require recertification from Apple.

For example if a company supported Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) in 1080p23.98 and wanted to announce that they were going to support Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) in 1080p29.97, then that would be allowed.

We do welcome the new Apple ProRes 4444(XQ) codec as we feel that this is a nice high quality option.

Dave, I hope this helps (somewhat).

Dave Allen August 10th, 2014 10:49 PM

Thanks Dan

I forgot that you guys can;t announce a particular supported codec in advance till the deal is done.

I was playing around today with the 7Q and once I got a "buffer error" message that prevented recording. I powered down then back on again and it went away. Not sure that is all about.

I tried doing 240 fps in the 4K raw to HD internal conversion, but that doesn't work and the screen go ballistic.

It seems 2k RAW at 240 fps is such a monstrous file and the weird workflow in FCPX where imported frames are set to 0.0.1 is just a huge nightmare of a workflow and even the new round Mac desktop will take forever to import it.

I know many use Resolve lite to transcode to .mov files, but what a pain all that is.

For practicing there must be a better way to get 240 fps and internally transcoded to some ProRes flavor that is easy to import into FCPX. I would hate to have to buy a new $8K Mac just to be abel to import it in a few hours.

I am still trying to get a handle on the new clip viewing interface...if only it were implemented like the Sony FS700. I don't seem to be able to go back and select previous high frame rate clips and view them when it is raided.

Dan Keaton August 11th, 2014 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Allen (Post 1857766)
Thanks Dan

I forgot that you guys can't announce a particular supported codec in advance till the deal is done.

I was playing around today with the 7Q and once I got a "buffer error" message that prevented recording. I powered down then back on again and it went away. Not sure that is all about.

I am not certain why that happened.

We provide support 24/7.

You may call me at seven one nine --- nine three zero ---- one three seven six

I tried doing 240 fps in the 4K raw to HD internal conversion, but that doesn't work and the screen go ballistic.

You may have noticed that the Video Input display showed "Not Supported".

In our FS700 4K Raw to HD mode, the FS700 has to be in 4K Mode, not 2K Mode, and currently this is limited to up to 30 fps,
thus the following formats and frame rates are supported:

Raw 4096 x 2160/24p,
Raw 4096 x 2160/25p and
Raw 4096 x 2160/30p

To be in 240 fps, in the FS700, you have to be in 2K Raw mode,
which works when the Odyssey7Q is in FS700 Raw mode,
but not when the Odyssey7Q is in FS700 4K Raw to ProRes HD mode.

Quote:

It seems 2k RAW at 240 fps is such a monstrous file and the weird workflow in FCPX where imported frames are set to 0.0.1 is just a huge nightmare of a workflow and even the new round Mac desktop will take forever to import it.

I know many use Resolve lite to transcode to .mov files, but what a pain all that is.

For practicing there must be a better way to get 240 fps and internally transcoded to some ProRes flavor that is easy to import into FCPX. I would hate to have to buy a new $8K Mac just to be abel to import it in a few hours.
Yes, 2K Raw, in 12-Bit Color Depth, at 240 fps, creates large files.

We have heard your request for a way to record 2K Raw in a compressed codec.

Quote:

I am still trying to get a handle on the new clip viewing interface...if only it were implemented like the Sony FS700. I don't seem to be able to go back and select previous high frame rate clips and view them when it is raided.
Please call me so I can assist you.

My phone number is seven one nine --- nine three zero ---- one three seven six

Respectfully,

Dave Allen August 17th, 2014 09:52 PM

If the 4K raw to HD conversion is currently limited to 30 fps, is it in the works that the new pending 4K codec will allow high frame rates, or will the push be to just get 4k compressed out first?

I will guess that perhaps the current 4K raw to HD is taking up so much processor that can't handle higher frame rates.